The Rocket's Red Glare

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
A relatively unknown American by the name of Key was taken prisoner and held on a British ship while they bombed Baltimore harbor during the War of 1812. Key could see a large Old Glory in Ft. McHenry all through the night as British rockets lit up the sky and the Flag was still there by dawn's early light. I just thought it would be a timely reminder about how the National Anthem came into being.

I heard a moving version of the Nation al Anthem that took place last night, in Atlanta, GA. Fast forward to 10:35 on this video:

A relatively unknown American by the name of Key was taken prisoner and held on a British ship while they bombed Baltimore harbor during the War of 1812. Key could see a large Old Glory in Ft. McHenry all through the night as British rockets lit up the sky and the Flag was still there by dawn's early light. I just thought it would be a timely reminder about how the National Anthem came into being.
and it is sung to the tune of an old British drinking song

and it is sung to the tune of an old British drinking song
Pop culture educated people rely on cliches rather than history. The tune was the theme of a London gentleman's club consisting of lawyers and such. The "Star Spangled Banner" remained an unofficial anthem for about a hundred years until designated by President Hoover.

Pop culture educated people rely on cliches rather than history. The tune was the theme of a London gentleman's club consisting of lawyers and such. The "Star Spangled Banner" remained an unofficial anthem for about a hundred years until designated by President Hoover.
It was a drinking song.

and IMO it's a terrible anthem as it is about the flag not the country.

America the Beautiful would have been the better choice.

It was a drinking song.

The Flag is about the Country. "America the Beautiful" is about scenery.

"The Star-Spangled Banner" is also difficult to sing, and it has a verse that mentions helpless slaves running for their lives.

"My Country 'Tis of Thee" works pretty well ... or Chuck Berry's "Back in the USA."

"The Star-Spangled Banner" is also difficult to sing, and it has a verse that mentions helpless slaves running for their lives.

"My Country 'Tis of Thee" works pretty well ... or Chuck Berry's "Back in the USA."
They added verses during the 100 years the poem was around but there is no mention of slaves in the version we sing today.

They added verses during the 100 years the poem was around but there is no mention of slaves in the version we sing today.
It's over 200, and no one has added any verses; the lyrics are exactly the same as they were when Key wrote it. Most people only sing (or even know) the first verse, but our official national anthem includes all four, including the slave reference.

It was a drinking song.

Maybe you need to listen closely. The flag was a representation of the country and the brave men who died holding that flag up. The reason it was still flying is because dead mens bodies were piled up against it.

Maybe you need to listen closely. The flag was a representation of the country and the brave men who died holding that flag up. The reason it was still flying is because dead mens bodies were piled up against it.

Still a terrible anthem

It's not about the country it's about the flag.

America the Beautiful is a far better choice for the anthem

The flag is the symbol of the country, It represents the people's nation.

The main thing about this song wasn't about a piece of clothe, it was about what it stood for.
I don't see how you could possibly miss that.
I loved the song and its story but thats me. Actually, I don't think there is an America anymore, but it was nice while it lasted. Not perfect but it was the best in an imperfect world.

The flag is the symbol of the country, It represents the people's nation.

The main thing about this song wasn't about a piece of clothe, it was about what it stood for.
I don't see how you could possibly miss that.
I loved the song and its story but thats me. Actually, I don't think there is an America anymore, but it was nice while it lasted. Not perfect but it was the best in an imperfect world.

Why have the anthem be about a symbol when it should be about the actual country?

It's not about the country it's about the flag.

America the Beautiful is a far better choice for the anthem

Agree 100%. I love this country. We chose a terrible anthem.

People don't sing it because they can't. The average American adult can sing a range of 7 notes. The anthem hits over an octave and a half. You almost have to be a trained singer to handle it. That's first.

Second, the entire verse we sing is a long word stew of a question. That's it, a long winded question: which flag is flying? It's important in historical context but does not say a darn thing about how great our nation is (and it is great). We seem to love it only because of that last phrase: o'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave????

I find it so peculiar tbh and wish it were a different song. But here we are.

One more thing. The fourth verse of SSB is beautiful, but we never get there. Just the question, hanging out there.

You know who has a kick-arse anthem? The former Soviet Union...

If we had lost The Cold War, we could have sung this before every ball game...

Forum List

Back