the Real US map

sparky

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2008
paradise
Yankeedom, Tidewater, New Netherland, New France, Deep South, Greater Appalachia, the Midlands, First Nation, the Far West, the Left Coast, El Norte -- have been hiding in plain sight throughout our history. You see them outlined on linguists’ dialect maps, cultural anthropologists’ maps of material culture regions, cultural geographers’ maps of religious regions, campaign strategists’ maps of political geography and historians’ maps of the patterns of settlement across the continent

The Real U.S. Map, a Country of Regions (Part 1): Colin Woodard - Bloomberg

interesting take on what is a growing polarity

~S~

And to some extent we see similar cultural divergence in the lingustic map of the USA, too

diausa.gif

I know that the region I live in is unlike any other part of the country I have spent time in.

We are clannish and un-trusting of "outsiders".

We have little respect for law enforcement and the law in general. I guess southern West Vriginians dont like to be told what to do.

Dont even get me started on the dialect. Very strange.

What I could never understand is that we are generally conservatives in our values but very liberal when it comes to economics. WV constantly elects democratic governors but to talk to most people you would guess we are all republicans.

Forum List

Back