The Real Costs of Papa Obama's Failed Pork Bill or Happy Labor Day !

BREDNAMERICA

Aug 29, 2011
APACHE JUNCTION, ARIZONA
How do we honor the unemployed this year? Do we give them the day off? Tell them job well done. Maybe we can give them an extra days pay on thier unemployment check. My full time job for the last 2 years has been a part time job. I can't afford to go to work and i sure in the hell can't afford to quit it

Last edited:
How do we honor the unemployed this year? Do we give them the day off? Tell them job well done. Maybe we can give them an extra days pay on thier unemployment check. My full time job for the last 2 years has been a part time job. I can't afford to go to work and i sure in the hell can't afford to quit it

I'm unemployed. I don't want the damned day off, I want to find a job and go back to work. If there is one thing I have learned in this period of unemployment it is that I hope I don't live long enough to be forced into retirement.

Immie

the company i work for offers no time off, always on call 24/7. They offer no bennies , no sick days, and want a 2 week notice for any terminal event

~S~

Granny says is cause the gubmint makes it too hard to start up a business...
:eek:
Unemployment, Inc.: Six reasons why America can't create jobs
September 2, 2011 - UPDATE: No net growth in new jobs in August kept the US unemployment rate at 9.1 percent. Six reasons the country is struggling to put people to work – and why it may not last.
At age 25, Kasondra Clanton is a mom, a grad student, and, most worrisome to her at the moment, unemployed. Until recently, she worked as a drug counselor in Mississippi's Noxubee County School District. But local officials decided not to renew her three-year contract amid a paucity of public funding. Now she and her boyfriend, Andron Harris, are struggling to make a better life for themselves and their 18-month-old daughter, Heaven. The main problem for both: an unforgiving job market. Mr. Harris is employed. He slings boxes at a local warehouse for $9.82 an hour. But he says he has little hope for a raise or promotions. As a result, he has been looking for months for a better job – applying for more than 50 so far – and has gone back to school to learn to be an electrician.

Ms. Clanton, for her part, is working on a master's degree in psychology. But both have discovered how hard it can be to find new work – with or without burnished academic credentials – in a state with a 10.4 percent jobless rate. "Everywhere I go, they say I'm overqualified," says the young mother at the Leigh Mall in Columbus, Miss. While she chats, Harris shifts the baby from one hip to the other and skims e-mails on his phone, one of which relays a familiar message: latest job application rejected. "It makes me sad," Clanton goes on. "People say, 'Go to school and you'll get a job.' There's no guarantee you'll get a job."

He's looking. She's looking. Nearly 14 million other Americans who are out of work are looking. All this even though the nation officially exited recession more than two years ago. With the exception of August, the economy generally has been adding at least some new jobs each month, so it's not entirely accurate to call this a "jobless recovery," a name that's been used for tepid job markets after the two most recent recessions, those ending in 1991 and 2001. But it could be that the slow recovery symbolizes something just as troubling: a "less jobs economy," one with a set of deeper challenges that may mean it will be years before the United States gets back to anything near full employment.

Certainly the current moment differs sharply from past recoveries from recession since World War II. It's different in its depth, with 6 percent of all US jobs disappearing. It's different in its duration, with the nation still nowhere near regaining those lost jobs two years later. And the question of what's wrong is all the more important now because of new worries that the US is close to tipping back into recession. That could be particularly debilitating given the high level of unemployment and concerns that policymakers have already used much of their available ammunition in efforts to revive growth. So what's going on?

MORE

Obama preparing for thursday's speech

Attachments

• $cartoon110830_full_600x400.jpg
    $cartoon110830_full_600x400.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 68
Granny says is cause the gubmint makes it too hard to start up a business...
:eek:
Unemployment, Inc.: Six reasons why America can't create jobs
September 2, 2011 - UPDATE: No net growth in new jobs in August kept the US unemployment rate at 9.1 percent. Six reasons the country is struggling to put people to work – and why it may not last.
At age 25, Kasondra Clanton is a mom, a grad student, and, most worrisome to her at the moment, unemployed. Until recently, she worked as a drug counselor in Mississippi's Noxubee County School District. But local officials decided not to renew her three-year contract amid a paucity of public funding. Now she and her boyfriend, Andron Harris, are struggling to make a better life for themselves and their 18-month-old daughter, Heaven. The main problem for both: an unforgiving job market. Mr. Harris is employed. He slings boxes at a local warehouse for $9.82 an hour. But he says he has little hope for a raise or promotions. As a result, he has been looking for months for a better job – applying for more than 50 so far – and has gone back to school to learn to be an electrician.

Ms. Clanton, for her part, is working on a master's degree in psychology. But both have discovered how hard it can be to find new work – with or without burnished academic credentials – in a state with a 10.4 percent jobless rate. "Everywhere I go, they say I'm overqualified," says the young mother at the Leigh Mall in Columbus, Miss. While she chats, Harris shifts the baby from one hip to the other and skims e-mails on his phone, one of which relays a familiar message: latest job application rejected. "It makes me sad," Clanton goes on. "People say, 'Go to school and you'll get a job.' There's no guarantee you'll get a job."

He's looking. She's looking. Nearly 14 million other Americans who are out of work are looking. All this even though the nation officially exited recession more than two years ago. With the exception of August, the economy generally has been adding at least some new jobs each month, so it's not entirely accurate to call this a "jobless recovery," a name that's been used for tepid job markets after the two most recent recessions, those ending in 1991 and 2001. But it could be that the slow recovery symbolizes something just as troubling: a "less jobs economy," one with a set of deeper challenges that may mean it will be years before the United States gets back to anything near full employment.

Certainly the current moment differs sharply from past recoveries from recession since World War II. It's different in its depth, with 6 percent of all US jobs disappearing. It's different in its duration, with the nation still nowhere near regaining those lost jobs two years later. And the question of what's wrong is all the more important now because of new worries that the US is close to tipping back into recession. That could be particularly debilitating given the high level of unemployment and concerns that policymakers have already used much of their available ammunition in efforts to revive growth. So what's going on?

MORE

Aghh but to start up a business means people will buy your product or service, and with so many un and underemployed....

neotrotsky-albums-just-because-picture3926-massunemployment.jpg

t/p Moonbattery

Zero: The number of new jobs added in the month of August…

9.1%: The [official] unemployment rate for the month of August… From March 2009 (the month after the failed $1.2 trillion “stimulus” was signed) through August 2011, unemployment has averaged 9.4 percent. Prior to President Obama taking office, unemployment had not been above 9 percent in 28 years.

31: The number of consecutive months the unemployment rate has been at or above 8 percent — the level the president said unemployment would never reach if the “stimulus” was approved. …

13,967,000: The number of unemployed Americans looking for work in the month of August, an increase of 36,000…

2,431,000: The number of net jobs the economy has shed from February 2009 — when the Democrats’ “stimulus” was signed into law — through August 2011. …

45,183,931: The number of Americans receiving food stamps as of June 2011, only the second month in history with more than 45 million food stamp recipients. Today, 14.5 percent of Americans receive food stamps, an increase of 40 percent since President Obama took office.​

The total cost for Obama’s “stimulus” will reach $821 billion per the Congressional Budget Office, plus at least $347 billion in interest for a grand total of $1,168,000,000,000.00

The total cost for Obama’s “stimulus” will reach $821 billion per the Congressional Budget Office, plus at least $347 billion in interest for a grand total of $1,168,000,000,000.00

And now Liberals in their own Words admit that the Effect from that spending has worn off. Basically admitting that Government spending can not, and does not buy Long term Growth. All it does is Buy a short term blip in GDP, and more Debt Problems.

Yet on Thursday Obama will call for another round of Stimulus spending. Knowing full well it is not a long term solution, simply because he hopes the small Blip in GDP we get from it will coincide with next years election.

And now Liberals in their own Words admit that the Effect from that spending has worn off. Basically admitting that Government spending can not, and does not buy Long term Growth. All it does is Buy a short term blip in GDP, and more Debt Problems.

Yet on Thursday Obama will call for another round of Stimulus spending. Knowing full well it is not a long term solution, simply because he hopes the small Blip in GDP we get from it will coincide with next years election.

Yes but Pork II
will work this time

:eusa_angel:

neotrotsky-albums-just-because-picture3926-massunemployment.jpg

t/p Moonbattery

Zero: The number of new jobs added in the month of August…

9.1%: The [official] unemployment rate for the month of August… From March 2009 (the month after the failed $1.2 trillion “stimulus” was signed) through August 2011, unemployment has averaged 9.4 percent. Prior to President Obama taking office, unemployment had not been above 9 percent in 28 years.

31: The number of consecutive months the unemployment rate has been at or above 8 percent — the level the president said unemployment would never reach if the “stimulus” was approved. …

13,967,000: The number of unemployed Americans looking for work in the month of August, an increase of 36,000…

2,431,000: The number of net jobs the economy has shed from February 2009 — when the Democrats’ “stimulus” was signed into law — through August 2011. …

45,183,931: The number of Americans receiving food stamps as of June 2011, only the second month in history with more than 45 million food stamp recipients. Today, 14.5 percent of Americans receive food stamps, an increase of 40 percent since President Obama took office.​

38% interest? How are you getting that figure?

The stimulus was never meant to be a long term solution. This is a newly manufactured piece of rightwing propaganda.

are you talking compounded interest ?
what baseline of interest did you use

you would have to use the same as the CBO
to get the same answer

what are your figures, exactly?

Last edited:
Well actually according to the article it was from CBO
your time span may be too short

Here this is from a liberal news source

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The long-term cost of the $825 billion economic recovery package before Congress could rise to $1.2 trillion over 10 years, a top budget official said Tuesday.

That's because the government will borrow to fund the plan and pay an estimated $347 billion in interest, Congressional Budget Office Director Douglas Elmendorf told the House Budget Committee on Tuesday.

Last edited:
Well actually according to the article it was from CBO
your time span may be too short

Here this is from a liberal news source

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The long-term cost of the $825 billion economic recovery package before Congress could rise to $1.2 trillion over 10 years, a top budget official said Tuesday.

That's because the government will borrow to fund the plan and pay an estimated $347 billion in interest, Congressional Budget Office Director Douglas Elmendorf told the House Budget Committee on Tuesday.

I see what they did. I dispute the claim on 2 counts:

1. they appear to be assuming that all of the stimulus represents a borrowed cost. I believe if you count the stimulus bill as part of the entire budget, of which 40% is being borrowed,

then 40% of the stimulus can be considered borrowed.

2. None of this estimate appears to take into account the NET effect of the stimulus, i.e., the value of what the stimulus spending returns to the government.

For example, if the stimulus pays for 1 job at 50,000 a year for 2 years, that job produces roughly 20,000 back to the government in the form of income tax, payroll tax, possibly other federal taxes, and might also, if the worker was unemployed, produce a return on taking the person off unemployment, maybe food stamps, maybe Medicaid.

All of that NET return has to be subtracted from the real cost of the stimulus. In addition, the value of the work itself is a net return. And the value of any indirect jobs produced by the spending and the taxes they generate. Example, buying materials to build a bridge or resurface a highway.

Forum List

Back