The quirky "loophole" in Executive Privilege....

Someone does not have to be charged with anything to plead the 5th.

Education time..........

The 5th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States says in relevant part, "No person shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself..". This means that one may plead the fifth only if the testimony could be used to prosecute that same person for what your testimony may reveal.

But wouldn't the executive privilege only apply since inauguration day and not during the campaign? I think anything before is open season

Regardless, Debbie......

As the Heritage Foundation (ultra right wing think tank) discussed during the Holder affair....

Executive Privilege Can't Shield Wrongdoing | The Heritage Foundation

Further, as Nixon found out.....

Crime and Ambition: Richard Nixon and Watergate | Ashbrook

Abuse of Executive Privilege - The New York Times

The limits of executive privilege | ABS-CBN News

Well, there would be if answering a question would be admitting to being part of a crime. BUT I fail to see how executive privilege would apply to any conversation that included a plan to commit a crime.

.....actually,.......and to COVER UP A CRIME......

By definition, an executive privilege is the power of the President and other members of the executive branch to resist certain subpoenas and other interventions by the legislative and judicial branches of government in pursuit of information.

The above is why Bannon and others can resist or stonewall on their testimony before legislative committees.

HOWEVER, if one notices the wording of executive privilege, the application ONLY applies to the legislature and NOT to a body entrusted to investigate the executive (i.e., the special counsel's office)........We must remember that Mueller's team IS part of the same executive branch, appointed and given jurisdiction by the DOJ which is, of course, part of the executive.

Bottom line, Bannon and others CANNOT avoid being questioned in front of either a gran jury, or questions by Mueller's team........AND, the 5th amendment ONLY applies if one is personally incrimination oneself and NOT when trying to "protect" someone else.

Show us on the doll where Putin touched you to make you change your vote

Right wingers will soon be in for a nasty "surprise" .......lol

Education time..........

The 5th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States says in relevant part, "No person shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself..". This means that one may plead the fifth only if the testimony could be used to prosecute that same person for what your testimony may reveal.
Have some of Trumps underlings already been indicted for anything as a result of muller’s Investigation? Hell yes they have! Does someone have to be guilty of a crime to plead the 5th? No!

I agree, except when all of Hillary's people pleaded the 5th even for their name......they should have been convicted of obstruction of justice

Go for it........after all, doesn't your ilk like to shout that you're in complete control of D.C.................LOL
If you knew how the government works you need 60 senate votes to do that, the GOP hasn't had that in a long time...the dems did and were prompted voted out

Education time..........

But again Hillary's people pleaded it on everything.......I didn't see you argue about it then

Forum List

Back