The Questionable Advantages of a 4WD Truck

It just depends on the driver. My little old front wheel drive caviler station wagon used to blow away 4wd Jeep's in the snow.

I wont agree with that one.
No such thing as a two wheel drive that can beat a 4x4 unless they're running on bald tires....all four of em.
I still remember the Kentucky snow storm of around 92' 4wheel drives where all over the place in ditches and such.

My little car plowed right through it. That was the best car I had in the snow.

Then they were acting stupid.
There's no such thing as a two wheel drive that can beat a 4x4 when the conditions go to shit.
Some folks forget 4 wheel go doesn't equal 4 wheel stop.

Last I checked all four of my wheels had brakes.

Doesn't do much good, panic breaking on snow in the old 4 wheel trucks of yesterday

I dont have an old truck. And it rarely snows in Houston.

So? We are talking about 4wheel drive in general not high tech brakes and drive systems. Not everyone can afford a $80,000 truck.
Who would want one?

That F150 raptor is a good looking truck, and having a F150 I want one in a few years and pick up a used one.

I am not a big fan of 4WD trucks. The mechanical components of 4WD add cost, weight, complexity, hamper handling and reduce fuel economy, and provide no benefit whatsoever for the vast majority of the miles that one drives. Even in the Snow Belt (which is becoming less snowy as the years go by), the times when 4WD is NEEDED are few and far between. (The UP and upstate NY and Erie County PA are exceptions, to be sure).

Having learned to drive with non-positraction rear-wheel-drive cars, I recall that one did pay attention in Winter as for traveling in hilly terrain, and you had to be reasonable about what you were doing and take some precautions (good snow tires, maybe put a couple bags of sand in the trunk) but "we" seldom got stranded.

Now, with limited-slip diff's and traction control in almost all RWD vehicles, there is truly no need for 4WD unless you are a girly-man wuss (or a woman), or you are that rare character who takes his truck off road with some regularity.

Several years ago I had an S-10 4-banger/auto with RWD. I put a couple bags of rock salt in the back of the bed (secured in place), and did fine with just normal snow tires in Winter. As I ponder my next truck purchase, I think I'm going to go against the grain again and get RWD. My manhood is safe enough and the arguments for 4WD just don't hold up for me.
They're handy if you're doing a lot of trailering of boats....But that's about it.

Now full time AWD, that's another thing....Has literally saved my life.

It just depends on the driver. My little old front wheel drive caviler station wagon used to blow away 4wd Jeep's in the snow.

No such thing as a two wheel drive that can beat a 4x4 unless they're running on bald tires....all four of em.
I still remember the Kentucky snow storm of around 92' 4wheel drives where all over the place in ditches and such.

There's no such thing as a two wheel drive that can beat a 4x4 when the conditions go to shit.

Doesn't do much good, panic breaking on snow in the old 4 wheel trucks of yesterday

So? We are talking about 4wheel drive in general not high tech brakes and drive systems. Not everyone can afford a $80,000 truck.
Who would want one?

That F150 raptor is a good looking truck, and having a F150 I want one in a few years and pick up a used one.
I'm not a big ford can, but I can't say the raptors aren't good looking trucks.

I would never own a truck I was afraid to throw a tone of gravel in because I might scratch the bed.

I've driven old and new trucks in some of the craziest terrain you'll ever see.
Been doing it since 98.

So true.

I dont find myself driving faster because I have four wheel drive,in fact just the opposite is true.
I know I dont need to pick up a head of steam before hitting a shitty stretch. I can just crawl through it.

It was hilarious,back in my heavy wheeling days we'd have large groups and some were driving 2 wheel drive Toyota Prerunners. Being inclusive we always accommodated them as best we could.
Before the day started all the trail leaders would gather,there was usually six of us,and draw straws on who had to lead the PreRunner class,a job no one wanted because it was spent pulling em out of the shit all day and you were very limited on were you could go.
Most of the PreRunner drivers would trade in their trucks within a few weeks for a 4x4.

I am not a big fan of 4WD trucks. The mechanical components of 4WD add cost, weight, complexity, hamper handling and reduce fuel economy, and provide no benefit whatsoever for the vast majority of the miles that one drives. Even in the Snow Belt (which is becoming less snowy as the years go by), the times when 4WD is NEEDED are few and far between. (The UP and upstate NY and Erie County PA are exceptions, to be sure).

Having learned to drive with non-positraction rear-wheel-drive cars, I recall that one did pay attention in Winter as for traveling in hilly terrain, and you had to be reasonable about what you were doing and take some precautions (good snow tires, maybe put a couple bags of sand in the trunk) but "we" seldom got stranded.

Now, with limited-slip diff's and traction control in almost all RWD vehicles, there is truly no need for 4WD unless you are a girly-man wuss (or a woman), or you are that rare character who takes his truck off road with some regularity.

Several years ago I had an S-10 4-banger/auto with RWD. I put a couple bags of rock salt in the back of the bed (secured in place), and did fine with just normal snow tires in Winter. As I ponder my next truck purchase, I think I'm going to go against the grain again and get RWD. My manhood is safe enough and the arguments for 4WD just don't hold up for me.
I suspect YOU don't need a 4WD.

Spend all day pulling folks out the ditch who "didn't need a 4WD" with your RWD S-10 so you can get home.

Then haul a load of firewood out of the woodlot.

Now let's hit that fishing spot on the logging road with holes so deep I'm pretty sure there are S-10s still stuck in them.

That's not counting the time your cousin got stuck in the creek bed...or the time you needed to skid logs out of the woods to make beams out of...or when the wind toppled the Douglas Fir and you needed to pull the rootball out.

But sure...no need for a 4WD.

So true.

I dont find myself driving faster because I have four wheel drive,in fact just the opposite is true.
I know I dont need to pick up a head of steam before hitting a shitty stretch. I can just crawl through it.

It was hilarious,back in my heavy wheeling days we'd have large groups and some were driving 2 wheel drive Toyota Prerunners. Being inclusive we always accommodated them as best we could.
Before the day started all the trail leaders would gather,there was usually six of us,and draw straws on who had to lead the PreRunner class,a job no one wanted because it was spent pulling em out of the shit all day and you were very limited on were you could go.
Most of the PreRunner drivers would trade in their trucks within a few weeks for a 4x4.

Some of us do but too many don't. They are always in the ditch at a T.

So true.

Some of us do but too many don't. They are always in the ditch at a T.

On the plus side they at least have a fighting chance to drive out of it. :auiqs.jpg:

I suspect YOU don't need a 4WD.

Spend all day pulling folks out the ditch who "didn't need a 4WD" with your RWD S-10 so you can get home.

Then haul a load of firewood out of the woodlot.

Now let's hit that fishing spot on the logging road with holes so deep I'm pretty sure there are S-10s still stuck in them.

That's not counting the time your cousin got stuck in the creek bed...or the time you needed to skid logs out of the woods to make beams out of...or when the wind toppled the Douglas Fir and you needed to pull the rootball out.

But sure...no need for a 4WD.
Now you been and gone and done it...he's gonna say you have a small penis.

The last time I got stuck in the snow was in 1973, when, driving my GTO, some ASS-HOLE stopped in the middle of a long, steep, snow-covered hill, thus bringing me to an unwelcome stop. Even with good snow tires, there was nothing I could do even to stop from sliding over to the curb.

If I were driving in swamps regularly, then obviously 4WD would be mandatory. But what percentage of the American population EVER do such a thing? What percentage of Americans who believe that they MUST have AWD need it? My imprecise answers are, respectively, very few and very few.

The last time I got stuck in the snow was in 1973, when, driving my GTO, some ASS-HOLE stopped in the middle of a long, steep, snow-covered hill, thus bringing me to an unwelcome stop. Even with good snow tires, there was nothing I could do even to stop from sliding over to the curb.

If I were driving in swamps regularly, then obviously 4WD would be mandatory. But what percentage of the American population EVER do such a thing? What percentage of Americans who believe that they MUST have AWD need it? My imprecise answers are, respectively, very few and very few.
Yeah? So?

Forum List

Back