The Psychology of Qanon

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
Trying to find silver linings in the last four years, continued:

This period has certainly been a treasure trove of material for psychological analysis. In this instance, why has the Qanon conspiracy cult caught on with so many Americans? And how many of them will remain now that they were made fools of, on Inauguration Day?

In a recent study conducted by myself, Karen Douglas and Clara De Inocencio, we further investigated why this could be the case. Our conclusion? Conspiracy theories reinforce a belief that nothing in the world happens through coincidence. This refusal to recognize the role of chance leads people to develop a worldview in which hostile and secret conspiracies permeate all layers of society.

Feelings of anxiety and uncertainty also help fuel conspiracy theories. Such emotions function as a psychological warning signal, leading people to try and make sense of societal events that frighten them. This helps to explain the widespread (and ongoing) speculation that followed impactful events such as 9/11 or the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. Together with Nils Jostmann and Michele Acker, we found that feelings of uncertainty, coupled with the feeling that your life is not fully in your control anymore, increases conspiracy thinking. Studies by others researchers confirm that emotions reflecting uncertainty — such as fear or worry — can increase conspiracy beliefs.

How many believers are among us here? We'll be able to guess by counting how many of them scoff at, mock, and dismiss this article.

This period has certainly been a treasure trove of material for psychological analysis. In this instance, why has the Qanon conspiracy cult caught on with so many Americans? And how many of them will remain now that they were made fools of, on Inauguration Day?

In a recent study conducted by myself, Karen Douglas and Clara De Inocencio, we further investigated why this could be the case. Our conclusion? Conspiracy theories reinforce a belief that nothing in the world happens through coincidence. This refusal to recognize the role of chance leads people to develop a worldview in which hostile and secret conspiracies permeate all layers of society.

Feelings of anxiety and uncertainty also help fuel conspiracy theories. Such emotions function as a psychological warning signal, leading people to try and make sense of societal events that frighten them. This helps to explain the widespread (and ongoing) speculation that followed impactful events such as 9/11 or the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. Together with Nils Jostmann and Michele Acker, we found that feelings of uncertainty, coupled with the feeling that your life is not fully in your control anymore, increases conspiracy thinking. Studies by others researchers confirm that emotions reflecting uncertainty — such as fear or worry — can increase conspiracy beliefs.

How many believers are among us here? We'll be able to guess by counting how many of them scoff at, mock, and dismiss this article.

What if we just scoff, and dismiss you? The stupidity of labeling someone because they think you’re article is trash, is the dumbest, most divisive thing I can think of....Now give me my thanks, and gfy.....

What if we just scoff, and dismiss you? The stupidity of labeling someone because they think you’re article is trash, is the dumbest, most divisive thing I can think of....Now give me my thanks, and gfy.....
There ya go.

There ya go.

There I go what dumbass?

I wonder why the media and the left are so desperate to put away any stories of them being a bunch of pedos.

62D384A0-F3E7-4C5A-84B1-4CCFF4E2BCA9.png

Who are these people in your little article here? What are their qualifications? How many self professed Q supporters did they interview? What was their methodology?

Like you, you’re article, as well as you’re assumptive catch 22 are trash.

I suspect that Q has a dwindling base of followers but there is probably some other lunacy on its way.
I have always had a problem with conspiracy theories, mainly because people are too incompetent to carry on a conspiracy over any length of time.

Youtube removed the Dan Bongino video explaining some of the "conspiracy theories". WTF?
Dan worked for the Secret Service, so he is no kook.

Here is the video that youtube won't allow. Dan's speech is basically what Special Prosecutor Durham is investigating. So why is this considered a Qanon "conspiracy theory" instead of a serious DOJ investigation?

So the OP whines about "conspiracy theories" without listing any of them, so we have no idea WTF democrats are already labeling "a conspiracy"?

Maybe the democrats are calling the many "voter fraud" claims "conspiracy theories"? Read the following article about the PA legislature's concerns, that the governor and secretary of state ignored and certified the vote anyway?! How many more legitimate voter fraud issues are there? None, they're all just "conspiracy theories"........the courts already dismissed all of them......

If you believe in voter fraud you need therapy.
If you voted for Trump you are an insurrectionist and need to be punished.
If you are a Republican you need to be de-programmed.

Youtube removed the Dan Bongino video explaining some of the "conspiracy theories". WTF?

Here is the video that youtube won't allow. Dan's speech is basically what Special Prosecutor Durham is investigating. So why is this considered a Qanon "conspiracy theory" instead of a serious DOJ investigation?

So the OP whines about "conspiracy theories" without listing any of them, so we have no idea WTF democrats are already labeling "a conspiracy"?

Maybe the democrats are calling the many "voter fraud" claims "conspiracy theories"? Read the following article about the PA legislature's concerns, that the governor and secretary of state ignored and certified the vote anyway?! How many more legitimate voter fraud issues are there? None, that's all just "conspiracy theories"........

If you believe in voter fraud you need therapy?
If you voted for Trump you are an insurrectionist and need to be punished?

That’s exactly right....see my sig..

Maybe the democrats are calling the many "voter fraud" claims "conspiracy theories"? Read the following article about the PA legislature's concerns, that the governor and secretary of state ignored and certified the vote anyway?! How many more legitimate voter fraud issues are there? None, they're all just "conspiracy theories"........the courts already dismissed all of them......

If you believe in voter fraud you need therapy.
If you voted for Trump you are an insurrectionist and need to be punished.
If you are a Republican you need to be de-programmed.
He is a kook, in every way.... or playing one on TV. :)

He's not normal, in any way, shape, or form....and gets paid for it!

Qanon like all magical thinking gives solace to people who need to believe and be a part of something. It covers the three N's: Need Narrative Network that guide, control and help some people feel important. Need comes first for they feel left out. This was in a recent talk on the Washington riot.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!!!!

Feeling a little used and abused are you???

I wonder why the media and the left are so desperate to put away any stories of them being a bunch of pedos.

View attachment 446873

And is so obviously photoshopped!!! The art doesn't match the room. The entire room is matched to the Nth degree - the ceiling, the walls, the wood, the drapes, the fireplace - all complemenatary and matchy, matchy, and then you have two paintings that neither match, nor fit into the room.

You fools are so easy to lie to.

There ya go.

There I go what dumbass?

mail.gif

People join in the fray of stupid because it is what they want to believe and they also want to be part of a bigger collective. Notice how many are Christians that also believe in other unprovable theories?

I am starting to get the impression that this Q thing is being used by Biden people to discredit anyone who doesn't fall in line.
It is a scale for those that are not rational....In other words we are all laughing at you.

See this is what I'm talking about. I've never pushed any q-anon theories but here I am being lumped in with them .

Forum List

Back