The politics of net racism

Sodafin

Dec 17, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
I'm researching and writing a story (I'm a journo, btw) about racism on the internet, and would like some comments from users and moderators about racism.

Firstly, how much racism have you noticed on this board, and do you find it disturbing?

Secondly, is it part of any kind of trend?

Lastly, why do people seem to be more racist online than offline?

Thanks!

I strongly disagree with the Obamacare bill. I think Obama is a disaster in foreign relations and on Defense. I think Obama is growing an already huge and inefficient government into a huger and more inefficient government. I must be a racist.

I heard anyone who didn't vote for Obama is a racist which includes all the republican party and half of the democratic party which includes the Clintons. Maybe you should visit a democratic party website and ask all the hillary supporters the same questions.

BTW, this thread has nothing to do with politics since their is not legislation or any other kind of government power involved. This makes me think you are a democrat since everything is within the state and nothing is outside the state which apparently includes all our personal beliefs about other people's ethnicity.

This thread has nothing at all to do with Obama, healthare, or reactions to Obama, so if we can stay on topic, that would be cool.

This thread has nothing at all to do with Obama, healthare, or reactions to Obama, so if we can stay on topic, that would be cool.

In case you haven't noticed this forum has nothing to do with racism either. It has to do with politics which are all things related to the government and its powers. What people think of another person's race has nothing to do with government power.

It IS on topic. Unless you have no interest in American race issues, pay attention.

Again: I strongly disagree with the Obamacare bill. I think Obama is a disaster in foreign relations and on Defense. I think Obama is growing an already huge and inefficient government into a huger and more inefficient government. I must be a racist.

FYI, that is what is going on in the USA.

And you call yourself a journalist?

I heard anyone who didn't vote for Obama is a racist which includes all the republican party and half of the democratic party which includes the Clintons. Maybe you should visit a democratic party website and ask all the hillary supporters the same questions.

BTW, this thread has nothing to do with politics since their is not legislation or any other kind of government power involved. This makes me think you are a democrat since everything is within the state and nothing is outside the state which apparently includes all our personal beliefs about other people's ethnicity.

Why don't you guys just stick to his questions?

Why doesn't he put his thread in the Race Relations forum? We're in the Politics forum.

Or, do you think there is no racism discussed in politics or any politics in racism?

Why doesn't he put his thread in the Race Relations forum? We're in the Politics forum.

Or, do you think there is no racism discussed in politics or any politics in racism?

I think if someone said "I hate black people" then that belongs in a forum about race but if you said "I hate black people and want to bring back segregation" then that belongs in a political forum. The difference in the two statement is that one is a stand alone idea that does not involve any legal powers of the government while the other one does.

I think if someone said "I hate black people" then that belongs in a forum about race but if you said "I hate black people and want to bring back segregation" then that belongs in a political forum. The difference in the two statement is that one is a stand alone idea that does not involve any legal powers of the government while the other one does.

Indeed - the issues of how racism is expressed through the media and internet is intensely political, both in terms of what it means for party politics, and what it means for individual politicians who have a high profile on race issues - e.g. a Jewish politician who campaigns on pro-Israel issues.

btw, Shifting the thread to a different part of the forum is very poor moderating.

Indeed - the issues of how racism is expressed through the media and internet is intensely political, both in terms of what it means for party politics, and what it means for individual politicians who have a high profile on race issues - e.g. a Jewish politician who campaigns on pro-Israel issues.

btw, Shifting the thread to a different part of the forum is very poor moderating.
[Emphasis added] Then buy your own forum and moderate it.

whine-1.jpg

I don't know!

But I'm going to ignore any ranting about Obama (either for or against) and hopefully sooner or later we'll see some on topic replies.
As racism against Obama is the biggest topic about racism in the USA, good luck with your 'research'.

:lol:

It might be the biggest topic, but it is not the most important issue regarding racism.

I'm researching and writing a story (I'm a journo, btw) about racism on the internet, and would like some comments from users and moderators about racism.

Firstly, how much racism have you noticed on this board, and do you find it disturbing?

Secondly, is it part of any kind of trend?

Lastly, why do people seem to be more racist online than offline?

Thanks!

We have a few racists on this board, at least 2 white Supremacists, a Couple black guys that hate whites, a few anti semites as well.

Most of them are smart enough to get their message across but dumb enough to not be able to hide the absolute hate they have for their subject.

No trend here that I see.

As to why more racist on the Internet? Because you can be anonymous and not face ridicule anywhere but on a faceless, nameless board.

It might be the biggest topic, but it is not the most important issue regarding racism.

No, I don't think so either - it is one thing that is happening in one country at one time - I'm more interested in trends and patterns.

I've got a lot of good answers to my questions on other forums, hopefully here too.

Si Modo -

PLEASE stop spamming the thread. Really.

Forum List

Back