The Pitch Clock

All strike zones for players of different height are different. Laser measurement adjusted per player should be achievable.

True,but every player would have to be measured and the strike zone changed for each and every player.
It's totally possible to do but it'll still be a hard sell for traditionalist.

True,but every player would have to be measured and the strike zone changed for each and every player.
It's totally possible to do but it'll still be a hard sell for traditionalist.
It would. But if our umpires followed the damn rules, the strikes called (etc.) would vary by player already.

Seems to be good for baseball.. faster pace, less BS. Now all we need are laser strike zones and I might return to watching.

I went to a Cards game last night and I am sold on the pitch clock.

The whole experience was so much better without all that down time.

I was skeptical when I heard about it, but I am not 100% onboard.

I had not been to a live game in 5 or 6 years due to how long they were and all the dead time.

Now I will start going back.

Well done MLB

I go to a lot of Indianapolis Indians games, at least 20 a year. I love the pitch clock.

I went to a Cards game last night and I am sold on the pitch clock.

The whole experience was so much better without all that down time.

I was skeptical when I heard about it, but I am not 100% onboard.

I had not been to a live game in 5 or 6 years due to how long they were and all the dead time.

Now I will start going back.

Well done MLB
Now just get a laser grid strike zone and baseball will largely be fixed. Having balls 4” off the plate called strikes shouldn’t be possible.. yet it continues to happen because too many MLB umpires think crowds came to see them.

I can understand 1/2” to 1” off, but regularly seeing occasions of balls 2-4” off the plate or below the knees called strikes is just embarrassing for the sport. Why waste my time following some amorphic, arbitrary standard that dictates a major portion of the game. It breeds discontent

All strike zones for players of different height are different. Laser measurement adjusted per player should be achievable.

On every pitch? what if they decide to crouch?
Like Friscus says above I toy with the idea of a laser box over the plate.........certain size. Ball goes thru that....its' a strike. One box....for all.
Big enough to cover Judge to Altuve mabye? Easier on pitchers. More strikes. Better off trying to get a hit than trying to get a walk.

It is a difficult moving target it seems?

It would. But if our umpires followed the damn rules, the strikes called (etc.) would vary by player already.

Sometimes its' 103deg with humidity. UMPS in all black all day long. 4-5 hours in the sun.
They are 65 yrs old...policing children who are using gamesmanship technique.

I too always thought if they enforced the rules they have.....things would have sped up.
Step out of box...delay the game? Strike one. Dawdle around on the mound? Ball one. etc.

Lifetime fan here. Watched very little this year so far. Pitching changes. While I don't mind them occuring......it takes too long.
Then the 8 warmup pitches? huh? they just warmed up in the Bull pen. Get in there and re-start the game right away.

Don't give me this BS......$100million dollar arm might get hurt on a strange mound? What are they made out of fine China?

Like Friscus says above I toy with the idea of a laser box over the plate.........certain size. Ball goes thru that....its' a strike. One box....for all.
Big enough to cover Judge to Altuve mabye? Easier on pitchers. More strikes. Better off trying to get a hit than trying to get a walk.

We need one strike zone. An NBA basketball hoop was 10 ft for 5’3” Mugsey Bogues and for 7’7” Manute Bol. It didn’t suddenly change based on who was shooting just for some desire to fair. Learn to shoot at a 10 ft rim or GTFO.

Sports needs objective measurements. Take the refs out of it as much as possible. No whining, no excuses, no power trips by umps, no chance for fixing.. best team wins

I’ll never understand the traditional baseball fan who advocates for the “charm” of human error by ending a 3-2 game in the 9th via a back door slider that was 2” off the plate and the ump rung him up because the batter yelled at him last year.

Last edited:

I believe the strike zone is determined more precisely than measuring the batter in a crouch.

Forum List

Back