The Peril of Politicizing Science

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
The Left donā€™t want history taught in schools because it always repeats and warns those who know history of what to try to avoid.

And itā€™s deja vu all over again.

ā€œI grew up in a city that in its short history (barely over 150 years) had its name changed three times.(2,3) Founded in 1869 around a steel plant and several coal mines built by the Welsh industrialist John Hughes, the settlement was originally called Hughesovka (or Yuzovka). When the Bolsheviks came to power in the 1917 Revolution, the new government of the working class, the Soviets, set out to purge the country of ideologically impure influences in the name of the proletariat and the worldwide struggle of the suppressed masses. Cities and geographical landmarks were renamed,(4) statues were torn down, books were burned, and many millions were jailed and murdered.(5) In due course, the commissars got to Yuzovka, and the city was stripped of the name of its founder, a representative of the hostile class of oppressors and a Westerner. In modern terms, Hughes was canceled. For a few months, the city was called Trotsk (after Leon Trotsky), until Trotsky lost in the power struggle inside the party and was himself canceled (see Figure 1). In 1924 the city became the namesake of the new supreme leader of the Communist Party (Stalin), and a few years later renamed to Stalino. My motherā€™s school certificates have Stalino on them. Following Stalinā€™s death in 1953, the Communist party underwent some reckoning and admitted that several decades of terror and many millions of murdered citizens were somewhat excessive. Stalin was canceled: his body was removed from the Mausoleum at Red Square (where it had been displayed next to Leninā€™s); textbooks and encyclopedias were rewritten once again; and the cities, institutions, and landmarks bearing his name were promptly renamed. Stalino became Donetsk, after the river Severskii Donets.[ā€¦]

The Cold War is a distant memory and the country shown on my birth certificate and school and university diplomas, the USSR, is no longer on the map. But I find myself experiencing its legacy some thousands of miles to the west, as if I am living in an Orwellian twilight zone. I witness ever-increasing attempts to subject science and education to ideological control and censorship. Just as in Soviet times, the censorship is being justified by the greater good. Whereas in 1950, the greater good was advancing the World Revolution (in the USSR; in the USA the greater good meant fighting Communism), in 2021 the greater good is ā€œSocial Justiceā€ (the capitalization is important: ā€œSocial Justiceā€ is a specific ideology, with goals that have little in common with what lower-case ā€œsocial justiceā€ means in plain English).(10āˆ’12) As in the USSR, the censorship is enthusiastically imposed also from the bottom, by members of the scientific community, whose motives vary from naive idealism to cynical power-grabbing.ā€

The Left donā€™t want history taught in schools because it always repeats and warns those who know history of what to try to avoid.

And itā€™s deja vu all over again.

...I am living in an Orwellian twilight zone. I witness ever-increasing attempts to subject science and education to ideological control and censorship. Just as in Soviet times, the censorship is being justified by the greater good. Whereas in 1950, the greater good was advancing the World Revolution (in the USSR; in the USA the greater good meant fighting Communism), in 2021 the greater good is ā€œSocial Justiceā€ (the capitalization is important: ā€œSocial Justiceā€ is a specific ideology, with goals that have little in common with what lower-case ā€œsocial justiceā€ means in plain English).(10āˆ’12) As in the USSR, the censorship is enthusiastically imposed also from the bottom, by members of the scientific community, whose motives vary from naive idealism to cynical power-grabbing.ā€
How could Communist USA "fight Communism" when it did everything it could to save Stalin and his Communist gangs?
Now, USA has become fully Babylonian Sodom & Gomorra and a lot of bad stuff is coming down on America.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back