The Orville

I watched a few shows and personally didn't like it at all. It looked like a cheesy knock off of Star Trek to me.
I have been watching The Expanse now on Amazon.
Gritty, dark, far more realistic about space travel and plays on a future where Mars is independent, Earth is controlled by the UN and also controls resources on a few stations and rocks in the asteroid belt. Story premise is a possible war between the UN and the Mars Navy.
I'll check it out.
One note.
We watch it with closed caption enabled.
Some very heavy accents especially the Belters who inhabit the far stations and developed their own dialect. They can never come to Earth born in low gravity.

its better than those shitty star trek shows going...

I liked season 1 of Discovery, even if the change to the way Klingons look was annoying. Haven't watched season 2, or Picard.
i dont care for producers and writers who take something with a history and change it because they never liked the way it was done or they try to be politically correct....if they dont like it let them create their own show....

its better than those shitty star trek shows going...

I liked season 1 of Discovery, even if the change to the way Klingons look was annoying. Haven't watched season 2, or Picard.
i dont care for producers and writers who take something with a history and change it because they never liked the way it was done or they try to be politically correct....if they dont like it let them create their own show....
It took me a while to get over the change in the appearance of Klingnons in Star Trek the Motion Picture. The first movie with the original cast.

I have ignored The Orville because it is created by Seth MacFarlane, who I dislike intensely because of his rabid atheistic hatred of religion.
But I learned from watching a Youtube video that the show is pretty good, so I gave it a shot.
Yes, Seth takes every opportunity to portray religion as something that it is bad and awful with no redeeming qualities. But, I decided to overlook that and keep watching the show.
I binge watched both seasons last weekend and I have to say, the show is better than Star Trek: Discovery and every other iteration of Star Trek except perhaps the original series.
However, it does borrow heavily from the Star Trek series, so much so that you think you're just watching another version of Star Trek. It might be described as fan fiction of Star Trek.
But what The Orville has that Star Trek lacks is the portrayal of realistic adult relationships between the characters. And because the show has an ongoing story line, these relationships are portrayed as developing over time.
I highly recommend this show, which has been approved for a third season.

I don't know about Seth's views on religion, I can only say that it doesn't seem to enter into the Orville TV series.

If The Orville seems to have a lot of qualities like real Star Trek, that is because Brannon Braga and Joe Menosky, two of the chief creative minds and producers behind everything from The Next Generation thru Voyager head the show.

The 1st season was good, the 2nd season developed a lot and shot off the scales towards the end with a 2 part Borg-like war between the Union and the robot home planet that Isaac is from. Really super duper top notch stuff.

It's a real shame that they cannot produce more than half a season of episodes every 15 months or so. Ridiculous.

One of the funniest aspects of the show is the gay relationship between Bortus and his partner. This guy is a scream!

The Orville is a joint production between Fuzzy Door Pictures and 20th Century Fox Television. By law, all network TV shows are required to offer over the air broadcast. There is no reason shows like Picard and Discovery and Orville cannot be carried on All Access, Hulu, etc., for people who want that, but I have real legal issues with them taking TV shows off the air or moving / offering them EXCLUSIVELY only on a pay service streaming internet service and plan to look into the legal side of this and perhaps see about challenging Fox on this.

I won't watch Discovery or Picard because of this, I doubt my giant TV has internet capability, and if it did, the last thing I'm interested in is buying into a bunch of costly internet services, buying a bunch of additional gear, incuring a lot of expense or hooking up a bunch of cables just to watch 1 or 2 TV shows I may or may not like, and no, I do not want to sit at my desk watching it on a computer monitor.

I WANT TO SEE TELEVISION ON TV

Television is paid for through advertising and I refuse to be manipulated into paying for a new medium forced down my throat. It would be different if they were offering me the choice. There is a definite effort to move "premium" TV to a pay-for streaming medium that they own and control in a cloud and relegate normal TV to rubbish.

I have ignored The Orville because it is created by Seth MacFarlane, who I dislike intensely because of his rabid atheistic hatred of religion.
But I learned from watching a Youtube video that the show is pretty good, so I gave it a shot.
Yes, Seth takes every opportunity to portray religion as something that it is bad and awful with no redeeming qualities. But, I decided to overlook that and keep watching the show.
I binge watched both seasons last weekend and I have to say, the show is better than Star Trek: Discovery and every other iteration of Star Trek except perhaps the original series.
However, it does borrow heavily from the Star Trek series, so much so that you think you're just watching another version of Star Trek. It might be described as fan fiction of Star Trek.
But what The Orville has that Star Trek lacks is the portrayal of realistic adult relationships between the characters. And because the show has an ongoing story line, these relationships are portrayed as developing over time.

I don't know about Seth's views on religion, I can only say that it doesn't seem to enter into the Orville TV series.

If The Orville seems to have a lot of qualities like real Star Trek, that is because Brannon Braga and Joe Menosky, two of the chief creative minds and producers behind everything from The Next Generation thru Voyager head the show.

The 1st season was good, the 2nd season developed a lot and shot off the scales towards the end with a 2 part Borg-like war between the Union and the robot home planet that Isaac is from. Really super duper top notch stuff.

It's a real shame that they cannot produce more than half a season of episodes every 15 months or so. Ridiculous.

One of the funniest aspects of the show is the gay relationship between Bortus and his partner. This guy is a scream!

The Orville is a joint production between Fuzzy Door Pictures and 20th Century Fox Television. By law, all network TV shows are required to offer over the air broadcast. There is no reason shows like Picard and Discovery and Orville cannot be carried on All Access, Hulu, etc., for people who want that, but I have real legal issues with them taking TV shows off the air or moving / offering them EXCLUSIVELY only on a pay service streaming internet service and plan to look into the legal side of this and perhaps see about challenging Fox on this.

I won't watch Discovery or Picard because of this, I doubt my giant TV has internet capability, and if it did, the last thing I'm interested in is buying into a bunch of costly internet services, buying a bunch of additional gear, incuring a lot of expense or hooking up a bunch of cables just to watch 1 or 2 TV shows I may or may not like, and no, I do not want to sit at my desk watching it on a computer monitor.

Television is paid for through advertising and I refuse to be manipulated into paying for a new medium forced down my throat. It would be different if they were offering me the choice. There is a definite effort to move "premium" TV to a pay-for streaming medium that they own and control in a cloud and relegate normal TV to rubbish.

A lot of TV is now put out by the various streaming services. My problem with the CBS service is that they don't have enough content to justify a stand-alone service. Something like Netflix, or Amazon, or Hulu carry far more content and are much more worthwhile. Unfortunately, with so many streaming services out there now, it's becoming too diluted and the costs can pile up, until one is paying as much or more than for cable.

I'm not sure what you plan to challenge about The Orville. As far as I know Fox no longer produces it, it's a Hulu show.

A lot of TV is now put out by the various streaming services. My problem with the CBS service is that they don't have enough content to justify a stand-alone service. Something like Netflix, or Amazon, or Hulu carry far more content and are much more worthwhile. Unfortunately, with so many streaming services out there now, it's becoming too diluted and the costs can pile up, until one is paying as much or more than for cable.

I'm not sure what you plan to challenge about The Orville. As far as I know Fox no longer produces it, it's a Hulu show.

There is the rub why I won't buy in and condemn those that do. A few years ago I broke the cable TV trap. Cable TV was created like satellite internet---- for people in too-poor reception areas to get TV off the air. Then it got milked into the whole pay-channel premium channel thing until a half dozen companies were getting rich charging you $100-$200 a month for what used to be free! And you STILL had the commercials!

Now they would have you connected to the internet, replacing your TV (to connect to the internet), and subscribing to all these services (I don't even know them all):
  • Hulu
  • Vudu
  • Amazon
  • CBS All Access
  • CBS No Access
  • YouTube TV
  • Netflix
  • Kroger TV
  • Home Depot On-Line
for a couple channels here, a few there, $15 + $12 + $45 + and on and on and on. To one again bilk the consumer out of their money, keep all the programming in the cloud where you have to continually pay for it, hope the technology or gear doesn't change again in 5 years, and sell the consumer on again getting way more service than any sane person needs with 115 movie channels, 5000 TV shows, etc.

I get 45 TV channels right now ABSOLUTELY FREE. I have more to watch every night than I have time for. And I get more stuff I WANT to watch than when I had Dish or Fios!

All people need to do is NOT buy into the scam.

I will gladly give up Orville. I only watched it in the first place because IT WAS ON TV. And I have the first two seasons.

Life goes on.

If people want the choice of streaming internet TV, that's great, but I WANT THE CHOICE.

There is the rub why I won't buy in and condemn those that do. A few years ago I broke the cable TV trap. Cable TV was created like satellite internet---- for people in too-poor reception areas to get TV off the air. Then it got milked into the whole pay-channel premium channel thing until a half dozen companies were getting rich charging you $100-$200 a month for what used to be free! And you STILL had the commercials!

Now they would have you connected to the internet, replacing your TV (to connect to the internet), and subscribing to all these services (I don't even know them all):
  • Hulu
  • Vudu
  • Amazon
  • CBS All Access
  • CBS No Access
  • YouTube TV
  • Netflix
  • Kroger TV
  • Home Depot On-Line
for a couple channels here, a few there, $15 + $12 + $45 + and on and on and on. To one again bilk the consumer out of their money, keep all the programming in the cloud where you have to continually pay for it, hope the technology or gear doesn't change again in 5 years, and sell the consumer on again getting way more service than any sane person needs with 115 movie channels, 5000 TV shows, etc.

I get 45 TV channels right now ABSOLUTELY FREE. I have more to watch every night than I have time for. And I get more stuff I WANT to watch than when I had Dish or Fios!

All people need to do is NOT buy into the scam.

I will gladly give up Orville. I only watched it in the first place because IT WAS ON TV. And I have the first two seasons.

Life goes on.

If people want the choice of streaming internet TV, that's great, but I WANT THE CHOICE.

You still have the choice of watching broadcast TV. It isn't as if those broadcast channels are gone. :)

I happen to think that the program quality is often better on the streaming services than on broadcast. That makes 1 or 2 streaming services worth having.

Oh, and cable has far more channels to choose from than broadcast ever has. Most are total garbage, but cable has had far more content than broadcast for as long as I can remember. In addition, the 'premium' cable channels have always been commercial free, as far as I can recall. I think of premium channels as the big movie channels like Showtime, HBO, Cinemax, etc. Part of the reason those always cost more is because of the lack of commercials.

If you prefer free viewing, that's great! I understand completely. And I agree that streaming services like CBS are not worth it.

Forum List

Back