The one in a million shot

percysunshine

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2011
Sty
A thread for the pictures where the photographer just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

To start it off; Kingfisher kissing...

perfect-kingfisher-dive-photo-wildlife-photography-alan-mcfayden-311.jpg

After 6 Years And 720,000 Attempts, Photographer Finally Takes Perfect Shot Of Kingfisher

A thread for the pictures where the photographer just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

After 6 Years And 720,000 Attempts, Photographer Finally Takes Perfect Shot Of Kingfisher
A high speed camera would have saved him a lot of time.

A perfect image is determined by lighting, aperture and shutter-speed. A 4 millisecond shutter speed is worthless if all you get is an undeveloped image.

A high speed camera would have saved him a lot of time.

A perfect image is determined by lighting, aperture and shutter-speed. A 4 millisecond shutter speed is worthless if all you get is an undeveloped image.

I was referring to a camera with a very high frame rate. He could have filmed it, then chose which frame he wanted. And the lighting, and everything else would have been just as good.

I was referring to a camera with a very high frame rate. He could have filmed it, then chose which frame he wanted. And the lighting, and everything else would have been just as good.

They require a lot of light. plus at 10000 frames per second, how much time would that take to find the right frame? Gimmee a break.

They require a lot of light. plus at 10000 frames per second, how much time would that take to find the right frame? Gimmee a break.

The time sample is everything. Everything else is aliasing.

I have been using a Nikon digital camera to photograph foxes, but the shutter speed is not fast enough and I get blurry pictures if the foxes are moving. I just have to hope that at the moment I press the shutter they are stationary. I feel like going back to using my pentax film camera with a 400 asa film which would freeze the foxes if I use a fast shutter speed. But its not nearly as convenient as using digital, because I can load the pictures straight onto my computer,

I have been using a Nikon digital camera to photograph foxes, but the shutter speed is not fast enough and I get blurry pictures if the foxes are moving. I just have to hope that at the moment I press the shutter they are stationary. I feel like going back to using my pentax film camera with a 400 asa film which would freeze the foxes if I use a fast shutter speed. But its not nearly as convenient as using digital, because I can load the pictures straight onto my computer,
Can you not increase the ISO setting on the camera? That will give you and increased shutter speed.

Can you not increase the ISO setting on the camera? That will give you and increased shutter speed.

The manual is long and complicated. I have not read it all. But it does say it always uses flash in low light setting, and I cannot use flash to photo foxes through a window because it would glare on the glass, and scare the foxes away too. Since the foxes usually come out at dusk and go to ground at dawn this leaves precious little time to get them in enough light.

Edit, I have just read the manual about ISO settings, and I have been using the camera on auto setting. It ranges from 80 to 1600, and can be manually set at a higher speed so I will try that.

Last edited:

The manual is long and complicated. I have not read it all. But it does say it always uses flash in low light setting, and I cannot use flash to photo foxes through a window because it would glare on the glass, and scare the foxes away too. Since the foxes usually come out at dusk and go to ground at dawn this leaves precious little time to get them in enough light.

Edit, I have just read the manual about ISO settings, and I have been using the camera on auto setting. It ranges from 80 to 1600, and can be manually set at a higher speed so I will try that.
Ok listen, ISO set higher will give you a faster shutter speed. It will also reduce the quality of the image somewhat. If you want to, send your email in a message and I will send you a tutorial I wrote on using an adjustable camera I wrote for a guy i used to work for. Experiment with settings, it's not like you are wasting film. Also, using a higher ISO setting is like using film with a higher ASA rating.

Using your camera on auto takes away all of you control on over your pictures. I never use auto.

miketx, thanks. I am using a Nikon Coolpix L340. The printed manual that comes with the camera is not very comprehensive, but I have downloaded a pdf manual that has a lot more details.

Forum List

Back