The Nuclear Energy Advancements Of The Past Four Years Will Blow Your Mind

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
More of the positives that the Trump Administration did.

The last four years, however, have seen early signs of what might just be a fission renaissance. After being slashed by President Obama in favor of more image-friendly and less efficient sources, the Trump administration has ramped up American investment in nuclear energy.

“When the president took office in 2017, he ordered a review of nuclear energy policy, and he said that he wanted to begin to revive and expand our nuclear energy sector,” Baranwal told The Federalist. “And so he issued an executive order, promoting energy independence and economic growth, and that included the recognition that nuclear energy is a clean baseload power source that’s very important to overcoming our environmental challenges.”

These changes, and the increases in funding that have come with them, have resulted in groundbreaking accomplishments in American nuclear energy that have hardly received the coverage they deserve.

This September the design for a Small Modular Reactor (SMR), designed by NuScale Power, gained approval from the federal government. It’s the first such reactor to be approved, ever. Small reactors like NuScale’s offer the possibility of fundamentally changing the economics of nuclear power.

While fission plants pay off in the long run, they have immense upfront costs that other energy sources just don’t experience on the same scale. Today, starting a commercial fission plant is something of an Odyssean task requiring decades of paperwork, miles of land, and billions in investment. These smaller reactors could change all of that.

“They can be factory-built and assembled on site much faster than these larger gigawatt-scale reactors. And so part of what we have seen with the cost overrun and the schedule delays… will not be experienced with SMR or microreactor deployment,” Baranwal said.

...​

The minute you mention the word nuclear the democrat sheep go running for shelter from a solar panel.
Demmunists want economic dependency and that can’t happen unless they choke off any practical energy.
Sometimes I wish I was stupid enough to be a democrat because then I’d be too stupid to realize how much hardship I’m creating for myself.

The milestone is the direct result of more than $400 million in funding by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) since 2014 to accelerate the development and deployment of SMRs.

its great achievement, but lets keep it bipartisan...

Did you miss this in the OP?

After being slashed by President Obama in favor of more image-friendly and less efficient sources, the Trump administration has ramped up American investment in nuclear energy.

The minute you mention the word nuclear the democrat sheep go running for shelter from a solar panel.
Demmunists want economic dependency and that can’t happen unless they choke off any practical energy.
Sometimes I wish I was stupid enough to be a democrat because then I’d be too stupid to realize how much hardship I’m creating for myself.

The left ruins everything it touches.

The left ruins everything it touches.
By design.

The milestone is the direct result of more than $400 million in funding by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) since 2014 to accelerate the development and deployment of SMRs.

its great achievement, but lets keep it bipartisan...

Did you miss this in the OP?

After being slashed by President Obama in favor of more image-friendly and less efficient sources, the Trump administration has ramped up American investment in nuclear energy.

just another lie from the right wing, nothing new...

from your own link:

Small modular reactors

In the FY 2012 Administration budget is a new DOE program for small modular reactors (SMR). This would involve obtaining design certification and COLs for two light-water SMRs on a cost-share basis with industry, to accelerate the commercial deployment of these. The NRC also requested $11 million for pre-application work on SMR licensing with two developers leading to filing the design certification applications and some initial review for one such application.
More advanced designs such as metal- or gas-cooled SMRs could get some funds from DOE's separate Reactor Concepts Research Development and Demonstration program, $30 million of which is envisaged for SMR concepts.

In January 2012 DOE allocated $452 million over five years to help the design and licensing of one or two SMR designs through new cost-sharing arrangements with industry. This will support first-of-a-kind engineering, design certification and licensing. To that end, it issued a draft Funding Opportunity Announcement to solicit inputs from industry, for designs that have “the potential to be licensed by the NRC and achieve commercial operation by 2022.” (Small, compact reactors of up to 300 MWe in capacity have a number of potential advantages in terms of safety, construction and siting, as well as potential economic benefits. Smaller ones can be made in factories and transported by rail and road to generation sites, being added progressively as modules of a large plant, reducing both capital costs and construction times.) Westinghouse intends to apply for its own 225 MWe SMR, in conjunction with Ameren Missouri, as does Holtec in conjunction with NuHub for the SMR-160. Babcock & Wilcox's 125 MWe mPower supported by Bechtel and NuScale Power's 45 MWe design supported by Fluor are also in contention. The NRC has been involved in pre-application discussion on several types, and it accepted NuScale's design certification application in January 2017.

Forum List

Back