The non-existent inherent contempt arrest powers of congress.

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013
The vile and empty threat of congressional Democrats to use the inherent contempt arrest powers of congress in a way that is completely unrelated to their legislative duties is a laughable joke. Regardless of what it is Pelosi may order the sergeant-at-arms to do ultimately it will end up before a judge who will make the final decision.

There is a real possibility that the secret service detachment assigned to any given member of the White House staff will use deadly force to prevent an illegal arrest. Without a proper vote, without a proper proceeding and without proper authority the death of such members of that obese and sedentary bureaucracy known as the Capitol Police would lay squarely at the feet of those who ordered such illegitimate actions.

In short Congress does not have a stand-alone authority to arrest detain and incarcerate. They still need the blessing of the court system to carry it out and in this instance I do not believe they will get it.

Jo

Actually the only one that has arrest powers is the executive branch. Not the Legislative branch. Not the Judicial Branch
Let me see who is head of the executive branch? OH yeah, that would be Donald J. Trump President.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/05/15/house-has-power-arrest-people-who-defy-its-orders/

McGrain v. Daugherty made clear that the Constitution grants each chamber of Congress inherent power to hold hearings and to launch investigations as it conducts its legislative and oversight business — and also that Congress can compel compliance with its subpoenas through direct arrest and detention. The court wrote: “Experience has taught that mere requests for such information often are unavailing, and also that information which is volunteered is not always accurate or complete; so some means of compulsion are essential to obtain that which is needed.” This power comes on top of any recourse that Congress might have to pursue contempt charges in court.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/05/15/house-has-power-arrest-people-who-defy-its-orders/

McGrain v. Daugherty made clear that the Constitution grants each chamber of Congress inherent power to hold hearings and to launch investigations as it conducts its legislative and oversight business — and also that Congress can compel compliance with its subpoenas through direct arrest and detention. The court wrote: “Experience has taught that mere requests for such information often are unavailing, and also that information which is volunteered is not always accurate or complete; so some means of compulsion are essential to obtain that which is needed.” This power comes on top of any recourse that Congress might have to pursue contempt charges in court.

Suuuuuuure..... Let em try it.....lol.
They'll find out very quickly what
they can't do. You're missing the point written right into your quote....the court is an inevitable component.

Jo

Interesting

That decision was based on the Teapot Dome scandal where a senate COMMITTEE commanded Mally S. Daugherty to appear before that committee. Which Senate Committee is commanding Trump or anyone else to appear before it? That's right, there is no bipartisan committee, only Nancy pants and pencil neck, et al.

Actually the only one that has arrest powers is the executive branch. Not the Legislative branch. Not the Judicial Branch
Let me see who is head of the executive branch? OH yeah, that would be Donald J. Trump President.

There is an escape clause when concerning the Supreme Court. Yes, the US Marshal's Service is under the Justice Department but they are also assigned under the Judicial Department. When a Judge issues an arrest order, it's the US Marshals that seek and apprehend the person and brings them in front of the Court. The US Marshal's Service predates the Judicial Department by a large margin. They date back to almost the time of the creation of the Supreme Court. At one time, the Judges hired and fired the Marshals at will. I don't know when that changed. But Tradition is very important to the US Marshals as they are the oldest and proudest Federal Police Force. And push comes to shove, if an order of contempt is issued by congress, SCOTUS will be duty bound to uphold it and bring that person in front of the Court or have them apprehended on Contempt of Court Charges and the US Marshals will bring them in. Once that person is in front of the Court, Congress can have their own Sgt at Arms force take custody of them.

Do you honestly believe that the Secret Service will fire on the US Marshals? You honestly believe that Barr will give that order? Rump might try and give that order but I doubt if anyone would actually listen. At that point the 25th Amendment might become a reality.

The Old Girl has been through a lot worse than She is going through right now and still stands. I have faith in the Old Girl and the Constitution of the United States that it's based on. So we just let it play out and see where it goes. Leaders change but the old Girl still stands.

There is an escape clause when concerning the Supreme Court. Yes, the US Marshal's Service is under the Justice Department but they are also assigned under the Judicial Department. When a Judge issues an arrest order, it's the US Marshals that seek and apprehend the person and brings them in front of the Court. The US Marshal's Service predates the Judicial Department by a large margin. They date back to almost the time of the creation of the Supreme Court. At one time, the Judges hired and fired the Marshals at will. I don't know when that changed. But Tradition is very important to the US Marshals as they are the oldest and proudest Federal Police Force. And push comes to shove, if an order of contempt is issued by congress, SCOTUS will be duty bound to uphold it and bring that person in front of the Court or have them apprehended on Contempt of Court Charges and the US Marshals will bring them in. Once that person is in front of the Court, Congress can have their own Sgt at Arms force take custody of them.

Do you honestly believe that the Secret Service will fire on the US Marshals? You honestly believe that Barr will give that order? Rump might try and give that order but I doubt if anyone would actually listen. At that point the 25th Amendment might become a reality.

The Old Girl has been through a lot worse than She is going through right now and still stands. I have faith in the Old Girl and the Constitution of the United States that it's based on. So we just let it play out and see where it goes. Leaders change but the old Girl still stands.
The only branch that has arrest power is the executive branch.
This isn't Judge Dread.

This isn't Judge Dread.

The US Marshal's Service is part of the Executive Branch assigned directly to the IG. They are equivilent to every other branch of the Judicial branch. They are at the same level as the FBI. But they have separate powers than the others. They are assigned directly to be the Law Enforcement for the Federal Court Systems and Judges. The US Marshals have fill that position long before there was ever an IG or a Judicial Branch. When the Judicial Branch was created, the US Marshals were included to keep the power separate. But the responsibilities of the US Marshal's Branch didn't change. They still report to the Federal Judges.

To coin a phrase from Admiral Maguire, "This is Unprecedented". No time in modern history have we been in this type of situation where two branches may be at total odds with a third and the total control of Law Enforcement of one may come into question over another. It also appears that this may be a method of tearing our Federal Government to the ground not by outside pressures but from pressures from within. Luckily, it appears our founding fathers left a loophole that prevents that from happening, the US Marshal's Service.

This isn't Judge Dread.

The US Marshal's Service is part of the Executive Branch assigned directly to the IG. They are equivilent to every other branch of the Judicial branch. They are at the same level as the FBI. But they have separate powers than the others. They are assigned directly to be the Law Enforcement for the Federal Court Systems and Judges. The US Marshals have fill that position long before there was ever an IG or a Judicial Branch. When the Judicial Branch was created, the US Marshals were included to keep the power separate. But the responsibilities of the US Marshal's Branch didn't change. They still report to the Federal Judges.

To coin a phrase from Admiral Maguire, "This is Unprecedented". No time in modern history have we been in this type of situation where two branches may be at total odds with a third and the total control of Law Enforcement of one may come into question over another. It also appears that this may be a method of tearing our Federal Government to the ground not by outside pressures but from pressures from within. Luckily, it appears our founding fathers left a loophole that prevents that from happening, the US Marshal's Service.
And your point? The marshalls have the arrest power, not the judges.
Do you post shit just to make yourself look more ignorant?

So what is Shiff or Pelosi going to arrest someone personally? I'd be so afraid of that little pecker wood, Shithead.

This isn't Judge Dread.

The Marshals don't have those powers unless it's issued by the Judges though court orders. US Marshals have no power to arrest on their own. Without the court orders, they are just there to protect the Judges.

The Judicial Branch doesn't have the power to issue arrest orders to a US Marshal. Only the Justice Department has that right.

This isn't Judge Dread.

The Marshals don't have those powers unless it's issued by the Judges though court orders. US Marshals have no power to arrest on their own. Without the court orders, they are just there to protect the Judges.

The Judicial Branch doesn't have the power to issue arrest orders to a US Marshal. Only the Justice Department has that right.
Dumb ass the marshals have the arrest power because they are LAW ENFORCEMENT not because they are assigned to court duty. Do the airlines have arrest powers also since you have Air Marshals?

This isn't Judge Dread.

Dumb ass the marshals have the arrest power because they are LAW ENFORCEMENT not because they are assigned to court duty. Do the airlines have arrest powers also since you have Air Marshals?

Your lack of intelligence is showing. Air Marshals are part of the TSA. They have nothing to do with either the FBI nor the US Air Marshal's Service. At one time they were under the FAA. At no time have they EVER been under the Justice Department. Can you get any dumber? Of course you can. I can't wait for you to go for that challenge. "Here, hold my beer".

So what is Shiff or Pelosi going to arrest someone personally? I'd be so afraid of that little pecker wood, Shithead.

They have the right to instruct the Sgt at Arms to arrest people inside Capital Hill. There are a lot more than one Sgt at Arms.

This isn't Judge Dread.

Your lack of intelligence is showing. Air Marshals are part of the TSA. They have nothing to do with either the FBI nor the US Air Marshal's Service. At one time they were under the FAA. At no time have they EVER been under the Justice Department. Can you get any dumber? Of course you can. I can't wait for you to go for that challenge. "Here, hold my beer".
What is your law enforcement experience? How training do you have?

Let's get a type taken care of. I meant they had nothing to do with the US Marshal's Service. The Air Marshal's Service is TSA which is NOT part of the Justice System. It is part of the Executive Branch though. Now that we have that out of the way.

I can friggin read. If you have to ask the question you have asked, you lack the basic skills of understanding what you read. Or you are just trying to get a "Gotcha" going. I am from the US Military with over 20 years experience. And I can read. I also have a College Degree so I read at least at a 10th grade level like MOST College Grads. Not the 10th grade of today but of the 10th grade of 50 years ago which is about like a Doctorate of today.

Like many retired Military Members, I have been offered a birth on Law Enforcement. Like many, I turned it down due to personal reasons. Domestic Disputes scares the living crap out of me. I'd rather be shot at than face one of those. Do I respect Law Enforcement? Absofuckinglutely. And like MOST Retired Military Members, we are pretty fair hand at Military Law which isn't that far off Civilian Law.

Since I have at least an average intelligence, read at least at an average level and have been around for almost 70 years, am in reasonable mental health, your question shows that maybe there may be some deficiency in yourself somewhere.

Let's get a type taken care of. I meant they had nothing to do with the US Marshal's Service. The Air Marshal's Service is TSA which is NOT part of the Justice System. It is part of the Executive Branch though. Now that we have that out of the way.

I can friggin read. If you have to ask the question you have asked, you lack the basic skills of understanding what you read. Or you are just trying to get a "Gotcha" going. I am from the US Military with over 20 years experience. And I can read. I also have a College Degree so I read at least at a 10th grade level like MOST College Grads. Not the 10th grade of today but of the 10th grade of 50 years ago which is about like a Doctorate of today.

Like many retired Military Members, I have been offered a birth on Law Enforcement. Like many, I turned it down due to personal reasons. Domestic Disputes scares the living crap out of me. I'd rather be shot at than face one of those. Do I respect Law Enforcement? Absofuckinglutely. And like MOST Retired Military Members, we are pretty fair hand at Military Law which isn't that far off Civilian Law.

Since I have at least an average intelligence, read at least at an average level and have been around for almost 70 years, am in reasonable mental health, your question shows that maybe there may be some deficiency in yourself somewhere.
The Federal Air Marshal Service (FAMS) is a United States federal law enforcement agency

The vile and empty threat of congressional Democrats to use the inherent contempt arrest powers of congress in a way that is completely unrelated to their legislative duties is a laughable joke. Regardless of what it is Pelosi may order the sergeant-at-arms to do ultimately it will end up before a judge who will make the final decision.

There is a real possibility that the secret service detachment assigned to any given member of the White House staff will use deadly force to prevent an illegal arrest. Without a proper vote, without a proper proceeding and without proper authority the death of such members of that obese and sedentary bureaucracy known as the Capitol Police would lay squarely at the feet of those who ordered such illegitimate actions.

In short Congress does not have a stand-alone authority to arrest detain and incarcerate. They still need the blessing of the court system to carry it out and in this instance I do not believe they will get it.

Jo
Now they're interfering in his foreign policy.... these people are dangerous.

Forum List

Back