The New NFL CBA Gets Rid of Suspensions For Positive Drug Tests...

Lewdog

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2016
Williamsburg, KY
This is ridiculous. I'm trying to find out what drugs this includes, but if players can abuse drugs like cocaine, Ritalin, and Adderall, that can totally change things. Those would enhance a players performance while under their effects. How rare is it that a job would drug test and you don't get fired until you fail like 7 drug tests?
1f926_200d_2642.png

"If at least 50 percent plus one of the dues-paying members of the NFL Players Association vote in favor of the proposed CBA, no player will be suspended during the next decade for testing positive for marijuana or any other substance of abuse.

The 2020 substance-abuse policy, a link to which has been distributed to all players eligible to vote via email from NFLPA general counsel Tom DePaso, removes all suspensions for positive tests. Instead, players will be subject to fines only for a positive drug test."

New CBA removes all substance-abuse suspensions for positive drug tests - ProFootballTalk

This is ridiculous. I'm trying to find out what drugs this includes, but if players can abuse drugs like cocaine, Ritalin, and Adderall, that can totally change things. Those would enhance a players performance while under their effects. How rare is it that a job would drug test and you don't get fired until you fail like 7 drug tests?
1f926_200d_2642.png

"If at least 50 percent plus one of the dues-paying members of the NFL Players Association vote in favor of the proposed CBA, no player will be suspended during the next decade for testing positive for marijuana or any other substance of abuse.

The 2020 substance-abuse policy, a link to which has been distributed to all players eligible to vote via email from NFLPA general counsel Tom DePaso, removes all suspensions for positive tests. Instead, players will be subject to fines only for a positive drug test."

New CBA removes all substance-abuse suspensions for positive drug tests - ProFootballTalk

I have a feeling this is mostly about Pot. Performance enhancing drugs will still probably be ruthlessly punished if used.

1f926_200d_2642.png

I have a feeling this is mostly about Pot. Performance enhancing drugs will still probably be ruthlessly punished if used.

It says: "no player will be suspended during the next decade for testing positive for marijuana or any other substance of abuse. "

So it includes other substances... so does that mean opiates? Meth? Cocaine? Codeine?

1f926_200d_2642.png

It says: "no player will be suspended during the next decade for testing positive for marijuana or any other substance of abuse. "

So it includes other substances... so does that mean opiates? Meth? Cocaine? Codeine?

I am wondering if they got a real copy of the proposed CBA, i'm not sure if its actually been released officially yet.

1f926_200d_2642.png

I am wondering if they got a real copy of the proposed CBA, i'm not sure if its actually been released officially yet.

The article says it was put up on an internet link and that players could then email their votes on it.

From what I read, this interpretation seems false. Read this in the link:

Apart from and in addition to any other provisions of this Policy, Players convicted of or admitting to a violation of law (including, within the context of a diversionary program, deferred adjudication, disposition of supervision, or similar arrangement including but not limited to nolo contendere) relating to use, possession, acquisition, sale, or distribution of Substances of Abuse other than alcohol, or conspiring to do so, are subject to appropriate discipline as determined by the Commissioner.Absent aggravating circumstances, discipline for a first offense will be a suspension without pay for up to four (4) regular and/or post-season games. If the Commissioner finds that there were aggravating circumstances, including but not limited to felonious conduct or serious injury or death of third parties, and/or if the Player has had prior drug or alcohol-related misconduct, increased discipline may be imposed. Discipline for a second or subsequent offense, absent aggravating circumstances, will be a suspension without pay for a minimum of six (6) up to ten(10) regular and/or post-season games. A Player’s treatment history may be considered by the Commissioner in determining the appropriate level of discipline.

That could be pretty widely interpreted to say that any illegal drug use includes a suspension, starting at 4 games.

Apart from and in addition to any other provisions of this Policy, Players convicted of or admitting to a violation of law (including, within the context of a diversionary program, deferred adjudication, disposition of supervision, or similar arrangement including but not limited to nolo contendere) relating to use, possession, acquisition, sale, or distribution of Substances of Abuse other than alcohol, or conspiring to do so, are subject to appropriate discipline as determined by the Commissioner.Absent aggravating circumstances, discipline for a first offense will be a suspension without pay for up to four (4) regular and/or post-season games. If the Commissioner finds that there were aggravating circumstances, including but not limited to felonious conduct or serious injury or death of third parties, and/or if the Player has had prior drug or alcohol-related misconduct, increased discipline may be imposed. Discipline for a second or subsequent offense, absent aggravating circumstances, will be a suspension without pay for a minimum of six (6) up to ten(10) regular and/or post-season games. A Player’s treatment history may be considered by the Commissioner in determining the appropriate level of discipline.

That could be pretty widely interpreted to say that any illegal drug use includes a suspension, starting at 4 games.

The issue with that would be a player from Colorado or any other state where recreational marijuana is legal would be treated differently than a player that is in a state where it is legal.

The issue with that would be a player from Colorado or any other state where recreational marijuana is legal would be treated differently than a player that is in a state where it is legal.
Maybe. Or they could operate based on federal law. I just find it hard to believe the nfl would prevent themselves from having the option to suspend players for drug use.

Maybe. Or they could operate based on federal law. I just find it hard to believe the nfl would prevent themselves from having the option to suspend players for drug use.

I just read a new article today that says opiate drugs is covered under the new CBA the same as weed.

"Not for the fourth. This includes every substance of abuse the league tests for, from opioids to marijuana. It does not pertain to performance-enhancing drugs."

New NFL CBA would eliminate suspensions for positive drug tests, marijuana included

Forum List

Back