The Nanking Massacre and Iris Chang's Book The Rape of Nanking

So you do take special pills to stay stupid.

Wrong.
That is the Iris Chang version, which has no relationship to reality.
For example, in her book, "The Rape of Nanking", she posts an article from a Japanese newspaper, and claims it is about a contest over who could behead the most POWs with a sword.
When you actually read the Japanese script however, it says that the Japanese were disgusted by firearms, and preferred to fight with a sword instead of a gun, because it was more honorable.
And the contest was about how many enemy soldiers they killed in battle, not execute as POWs.
So basically, Iris Chang had no idea at all what really happened, and just lied.

Actually, the two officers were put on trial after the war, numerous witnesses testified they beheaded POW's, and they were promptly executed.

Other soldiers and historians have noted the unlikelihood of the lieutenants' alleged heroics, which entailed killing enemy after enemy in fierce hand-to-hand combat.[4] Noda himself, on returning to his hometown, admitted this during a speech:

Actually, I didn't kill more than four or five people in hand-to-hand combat ... We'd face an enemy trench that we'd captured, and when we called out, "Ni, Lai-Lai!" (You, come here!), the Chinese soldiers were so stupid, they'd rush toward us all at once. Then we'd line them up and cut them down, from one end of the line to the other. I was praised for having killed a hundred people, but actually, almost all of them were killed in this way. The two of us did have a contest, but afterwards. I was often asked whether it was a big deal, and I said it was no big deal ...[7]

Wrong again.
While 6 million deaths of Jews is incredible, once you realize the WWII death toll was over 50 million, and mostly civilians, then it is not significant any more.
You just are not putting anything into perspective.

Actually, what the Japanese did in China was much worse... but since the Jews run Hollywood, we get all sorts of movies about the Holocaust and the only movie I've seen about the Rape of Nanking was one where they showed how white people were slightly inconvenienced.

Not in the least.
Iris Chang was not at all respected or a scholar.
Her work was universally ridiculed except by those using her for propaganda purposes.

Her second book, The Rape of Nanking: The Forgotten Holocaust of World War II (1997),[9] was published on the 60th anniversary of the Nanking Massacre and was motivated in part by her own grandparents' stories about their escape from the massacre. It documents atrocities committed against Chinese by forces of the Imperial Japanese Army during the Second Sino-Japanese War, and includes interviews with victims. The Rape of Nanking remained on the New York Times Bestseller list for 10 weeks.[10] Based on the book, an American documentary film, Nanking, was released in 2007.

Success as an author made Iris Chang a public figure. The Rape of Nanking placed her in great demand as a speaker and as an interview subject, and, more broadly, as a spokesperson for the viewpoint that the Japanese government had not done enough to compensate victims of their invasion of China. In one often-mentioned incident (as reported by The Times of London):

...she confronted the Japanese Ambassador to the United States on television, demanded an apology and expressed her dissatisfaction with his mere acknowledgement "that really unfortunate things happened, acts of violence were committed by members of the Japanese military". "It is because of these types of wording and the vagueness of such expressions that Chinese people, I think, are infuriated," was her reaction.[13]
Chang's visibility as a public figure increased with her final work, The Chinese in America. After her death, she became the subject of tributes from fellow writers. Mo Hayder dedicated a novel to her. Reporter Richard Rongstad eulogized her as "Iris Chang lit a flame and passed it to others and we should not allow that flame to be extinguished."

In 2007, the documentary Nanking was dedicated to Chang, as well as the Chinese victims of Nanking.

"The Man Who Ended History", a story in The Paper Managerie by Ken Liu about uncovering the history of Unit 731, is dedicated to the memory of Chang.[14]

R.F. Kuang's debut novel, The Poppy War, is dedicated to Iris Chang.[15]

Iris Chang Park in San Jose, that opened in November 2019, is a municipal park dedicated to Chang.[16][17]

That is totally ignorant.
What actually happened at Nanking is that tens of thousands of retreating Khang Kai Shek troops tried to blend into the civilian population, and continued to shoot Japanese, instead of honorably surrendering.
Making Nanking into an insurgency, and NOT the massacre of innocents claimed by liars like Iris Chang.

First, it's Chiang Kai-shek (Giles Wade Transliteration). Secondly, it was a massacre of civilians.

And while I do not like religions or have any connection to Mormons, they are one of the most honorable of the religions anyone could pick.
The claim Joseph Smith was rapping teens likely is a lie, as Mormons are more sexually repressed than any other religion I know of.
Polygamy is not underage sex, but more than one wife, exactly as the Bible describes, and common in Judaism until recently.

Mormons are scum.

Joseph Smith married numerous teenage girls among his 34 wives. He did what all cult leaders did... used his position to get sex from less smart people.

The difference between Joseph Smith and David Koresh? Original and Extra-Crispy.

Actually, the two officers were put on trial after the war, numerous witnesses testified they beheaded POW's, and they were promptly executed.

Other soldiers and historians have noted the unlikelihood of the lieutenants' alleged heroics, which entailed killing enemy after enemy in fierce hand-to-hand combat.[4] Noda himself, on returning to his hometown, admitted this during a speech:

Actually, what the Japanese did in China was much worse... but since the Jews run Hollywood, we get all sorts of movies about the Holocaust and the only movie I've seen about the Rape of Nanking was one where they showed how white people were slightly inconvenienced.

Her second book, The Rape of Nanking: The Forgotten Holocaust of World War II (1997),[9] was published on the 60th anniversary of the Nanking Massacre and was motivated in part by her own grandparents' stories about their escape from the massacre. It documents atrocities committed against Chinese by forces of the Imperial Japanese Army during the Second Sino-Japanese War, and includes interviews with victims. The Rape of Nanking remained on the New York Times Bestseller list for 10 weeks.[10] Based on the book, an American documentary film, Nanking, was released in 2007.

Success as an author made Iris Chang a public figure. The Rape of Nanking placed her in great demand as a speaker and as an interview subject, and, more broadly, as a spokesperson for the viewpoint that the Japanese government had not done enough to compensate victims of their invasion of China. In one often-mentioned incident (as reported by The Times of London):

Chang's visibility as a public figure increased with her final work, The Chinese in America. After her death, she became the subject of tributes from fellow writers. Mo Hayder dedicated a novel to her. Reporter Richard Rongstad eulogized her as "Iris Chang lit a flame and passed it to others and we should not allow that flame to be extinguished."

In 2007, the documentary Nanking was dedicated to Chang, as well as the Chinese victims of Nanking.

"The Man Who Ended History", a story in The Paper Managerie by Ken Liu about uncovering the history of Unit 731, is dedicated to the memory of Chang.[14]

R.F. Kuang's debut novel, The Poppy War, is dedicated to Iris Chang.[15]

Iris Chang Park in San Jose, that opened in November 2019, is a municipal park dedicated to Chang.[16][17]

First, it's Chiang Kai-shek (Giles Wade Transliteration). Secondly, it was a massacre of civilians.

<<< Actually, the two officers were put on trial after the war, numerous witnesses testified they beheaded POW's, and they were promptly executed. >>>

Their "trial"??? You mean the Nanking War Crimes Tribunal, right? They had no normal trial with an impartial jury, and the "numerous witnesses" would have testified that the two officers were aliens from Mars if asked to do so. Even the Tokyo Tribunal declined to prosecute the two officers, so questionable was the "evidence" against them.

In chapter 12 of The Nanking Atrocity, historian Joshua Fogel says that no balanced historian can accept the killing-contest story as accurate:

Fourth Generation Chinese argue that racism—by which they mean the Japanese troops’ dehumanization of the Chinese people—was indeed an essential part of the assault on China. The piece of evidence usually cited is the infamous 100-man killing contest, in which two Japanese soldiers allegedly vied to see who could first slay 100 Chinese en route to Nanking. Many have questioned the veracity of this story, and not only arch right-wingers in Japan. See Bob Tadashi Wakabayashi’s chapter 6 in the present volume. But the Japanese press in November-December 1937 did give the story considerable play, and the soldiers did receive death sentences at the postwar Nanking War Crimes Tribunal; so, as a result, anti-Japanese Chinese believe the story today. But despite the guilty verdict, to accept this story as true and accurate requires a leap of faith that no balanced historian can make. (pp. 279-280; p. 172 in some editions)

Yes, we get it that you love Iris Chang and that you are diehard Mao apologist. You've made that clear.

Last edited:
Their "trial"??? You mean the Nanking War Crimes Tribunal, right? They had no normal trial with an impartial jury, and the "numerous witnesses" would have testified that the two officers were aliens from Mars if asked to do so. Even the Tokyo Tribunal declined to prosecute the two officers, so questionable was the "evidence" against them.

The Tokyo tribunal was for the top leaders who instigated Japan's war against humanity.

Not for the low level war criminals like these two shmucks.

I do like Iris Chang, her early death was very sad. I recognize Mao was a ruthless bastard, but so was George Washington. And both are revered in their countries today.

The biggest problem was that not enough Nazis or Japanese were executed after the war.

The claim that the Japanese army killed 300,000 people in Nanking, China, in 1937 became widely accepted with the publication of Chinese author Iris Chang’s book The Rape of Nanking: The Forgotten Holocaust of World War II in 1997.

Before we discuss this matter, one thing must be made clear: Killing 20 civilians and/or POWs, much less thousands or hundreds of thousands, is a war crime, and those who take part in such crimes should be severely punished. There is no credible doubt that many of the Japanese soldiers who fought in Nanking committed war crimes and deserved to be punished. What is a “massacre”? I think the killing of “just” a few dozen innocent people constitutes a massacre or an atrocity. I believe that about 40,000 people—soldiers plus civilians—were wrongfully killed in Nanking, so I have no problem with the term Nanking Massacre to describe the crime.

With these stipulations understood, let us look at some facts regarding the 300,000 figure and Chang’s book. The points below do not address all the problems with the 300,000 figure, but they are a decent introduction to the problems with Chang’s case.

* To provide some context and perspective, even if one assumes that the 300,000 figure is correct, it should be pointed out that the Chinese Nationalists killed at least 400,000 people in Xuzhou in 1938. When the Nationalists were retreating from Xuzhou in June 1938, they purposely breached the southern dyke of the Yellow River in order to flood the Japanese’s path to Wuhan (even though the Japanese were not advancing), and in so doing they killed a bare minimum of 400,000 civilians (Peter Harmsen, Storm Clouds Over the Pacific, 1931-1941, Casemate Publishers, 2018, locs. 1895-1907). This is still the largest, deadliest act of environmental warfare in history.

Some scholars conclude that at least 500,000 innocent civilians were killed in the Yellow River flood, calling 500,000 “the lowest estimate” (Diana Lary, "Drowned Earth: The Strategic Breaching of the Yellow River Dyke, 1938," War in History. April 1, 2001, pp. 191–207, SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class research journals). Why didn’t FDR condemn this atrocity? Why haven’t the Nationalist Chinese been subjected to the same kind of withering criticism that the Japanese have endured over Nanking? Why isn’t there a memorial at Xuzhou to honor the 400,000-plus victims of Chinese Nationalist barbarism?

Because the action by the Chinese nationalists was part of their war effort. The massacre of civilians in Nanking by the Japanese most certainly was not.

The Tokyo tribunal was for the top leaders who instigated Japan's war against humanity.

Not for the low level war criminals like these two shmucks.

I do like Iris Chang, her early death was very sad. I recognize Mao was a ruthless bastard, but so was George Washington. And both are revered in their countries today.

The biggest problem was that not enough Nazis or Japanese were executed after the war.

No, no, no, it is plain nutty to even imply that George Washington was as ruthless as Mao Tse Tung. That is crazy.

I know lots of Chinese, partly because one of my son's married a Chinese national who later became a citizen, and not one of them thinks highly of Mao. Not one.

The Tokyo Tribunal did look into the case of the two officers and passed on it. The Nanking Tribunal was an exercise in blind revenge in far too many cases.

And, lo and behold, I actually agree with you that not enough Nazi and Japanese war criminals were executed after the war. Too many innocent or minimally guilty Germans and Japanese were prosecuted, while far too many truly guilty Germans and Japanese got off scot-free, especially among the Japanese officers who brutalized American and Allied POWs.

No, no, no, it is plain nutty to even imply that George Washington was as ruthless as Mao Tse Tung. That is crazy.

My Native American ancestors would beg to differ. So, I imagine, would the slaves on Geo. Washington's plantation.

Hey, check this out, they are George's false teeth. Unlike popular legends about "wooden teeth", George actually had teeth that were extracted from slaves.

1665395636825.png

Of course, if they talked about that in History Class, you guys would be whining about Critical Race Theory and making white kids hate themselves.

I know lots of Chinese, partly because one of my son's married a Chinese national who later became a citizen, and not one of them thinks highly of Mao. Not one.

I'm currently dating a Chinese woman... And most Chinese have a different opinion of Mao. Mostly that he liberated China from foreign domination and made her a great power.

Unlike Stalin, who the Soviets denounced almost as soon as he was in the Ground, Mao is still well regarded.

Side note, I've been teaching myself Chinese and found out that "Mao" translates to "Cat". This could explain a lot.

1665395842413.png

The Tokyo Tribunal did look into the case of the two officers and passed on it. The Nanking Tribunal was an exercise in blind revenge in far too many cases.

The Tokyo Tribunal worked on the assumption the war began at Pearl Harbor, not the Marco Polo Bridge. These two bastards admitted that most of the people they beheaded weren't active combatants..

And, lo and behold, I actually agree with you that not enough Nazi and Japanese war criminals were executed after the war. Too many innocent or minimally guilty Germans and Japanese were prosecuted, while far too many truly guilty Germans and Japanese got off scot-free, especially among the Japanese officers who brutalized American and Allied POWs.

OH MY GOD, THEY DID BAD STUFF TO WHITE PEOPLE!!!! Yes, I can see why that upsets your Racist Mormon Ass.
You don't see why slaughtering thousands of unarmed civilians is worse than mistreating a POW.

The real problem with the latter trial is that Japan never signed the Geneva Conventions, but we prosecuted them under it as if they had. Combined that with the mentality that the Japanese believed in never surrendering, and saw Americans and Allies who did as dishonorable, and you can see the potential for abuse.

But the bastards at Nanking were much worse and should have been executed.

Forum List

Back