The myth of the so called "southern strategy" brought about by leftist propagandists.

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013

Yes, wonderful lesson and whenever these blowhards on the left repeat marxist cliches and utter BS about the democrats in the all of sudden switching parties, listen to the truth and counter it with facts.

Not that that would mean much to these contaminated thoroughly dd.moralized leftists around, you can at least have the actual facts.

Yes, wonderful lesson and whenever these blowhards on the left repeat marxist cliches and utter BS about the democrats in the all of sudden switching parties, listen to the truth and counter it with facts.

Not that that would mean much to these contaminated thoroughly dd.moralized leftists around, you can at least have the actual facts.

republicans themselves admitted there was a Southern Strategy.

t has become, for liberals and leftists enraged by the way Republicans never suffer the consequences for turning electoral politics into a cesspool, a kind of smoking gun. The late, legendarily brutal campaign consultant Lee Atwater explains how Republicans can win the vote of racists without sounding racist themselves:

You start out in 1954 by saying, “N*****, n*****, n*****.” By 1968 you can’t say “n*****”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “N****, n*****.”

This is the same Lee Atwater who would run the openly racist Willie Horton ads against Mike Dukakis in 1988.

The Southern Strategy worked as the once solid Democratic South is now solid Republican

Republicans exploited Democratic support for Civil Rights to turn voters Republican.

t has become, for liberals and leftists enraged by the way Republicans never suffer the consequences for turning electoral politics into a cesspool, a kind of smoking gun. The late, legendarily brutal campaign consultant Lee Atwater explains how Republicans can win the vote of racists without sounding racist themselves:

You start out in 1954 by saying, “N*****, n*****, n*****.” By 1968 you can’t say “n*****”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “N****, n*****.”

This is the same Lee Atwater who would run the openly racist Willie Horton ads against Mike Dukakis in 1988.

No, two uninformed republicans trying to appease the left wing,D.C. press Corp. made statements that were not based in actual knowledge…..you twit.

Amd the Willie Horton issue was brought up by Al Gore, not the republicans……..and the actual ad attacking the policy that allowed willie Horton, sentenced to life in prison get weekend furloughs from prison,

Although he relished political combat, Atwater didn’t pioneer anything in politics. The Bush campaign was careful not to racialize Horton’s heinous crimes. Nor were the accusations misleading. Hardball politics, yes, but factual. Any campaign would have used the issue.

For those too young to recall, the fateful flaws in the Massachusetts prison furlough system arose in 1988 as a contentious campaign issue because that state’s chief executive was running for president. Gov. Michael Dukakis positioned himself as a competent manager of a successful state. What was Dukakis so proud of? The Bay State’s economy, mainly, which he called the “Massachusetts Mirac

—————
Ailes forbade the campaign from releasing Horton’s photograph. When the campaign produced its now-famous Massachusetts prison “revolving door” ad, it was filmed in Utah, in sepia tones, and the inmates appeared to be white, black, and Hispanic.

Earlier, two conservative provocateurs, Larry McCarthy and Floyd Brown, produced a low-budget ad showing Horton’s picture and mentioning his name.

Democrats pounced. This is racist, they said. Some of the media followed suit and some didn’t, although with each passing year, the “vile” Willie Horton ad narrative entrenched itself more deeply in the collective memories of Democrats and the media.
———
Those closest to the case were the most nonplussed by this characterization. Dane Strother, a former Eagle-Tribune reporter who became a Democratic political consultant, told me race was never an issue when Dukakis’ furlough program came under scrutiny. “It wasn’t about racism,” he said. “That didn’t come up. Not ever.”
———————

I covered the 1988 campaign, and I pressed Lee Atwater about this myself. Not just the name, but the whole issue. He looked at me as if I were being deliberately obtuse. He said that when he first heard about the case, he hoped the furloughed inmate was white. “I wish his name was Jimmy Don Horton or Joe Bob Horton,” he told me. “We’d have made him even more famous, plastered his picture everywhere. This is about crime.”

Last edited:

I watched it happen with my own eyes which is why Repubs fly the Confederate flags.

And you lie…..of course….

He soon admitted that Bush's campaign was actually not responsible for the ad in question, but the liberal historian still found a way to impart culpability onto the Republican President anyway: "In retrospect, he never should have allowed the ad that, actually, though, the Willie Horton ad was an independent ad, but there was an official ad that hinted at some of the same things. They should not have done that."

3r8xpd9mt7061.png

history and facts don’t matter to them demaklan

No, two uninformed republicans trying to appease the left wing,D.C. press Corp. made statements that were not based in actual knowledge…..you twit.

Amd the Willie Horton issue was brought up by Al Gore, not the republicans……..and the actual ad attacking the policy that allowed willie Horton, sentenced to life in prison get weekend furloughs from prison,

Although he relished political combat, Atwater didn’t pioneer anything in politics. The Bush campaign was careful not to racialize Horton’s heinous crimes. Nor were the accusations misleading. Hardball politics, yes, but factual. Any campaign would have used the issue.

For those too young to recall, the fateful flaws in the Massachusetts prison furlough system arose in 1988 as a contentious campaign issue because that state’s chief executive was running for president. Gov. Michael Dukakis positioned himself as a competent manager of a successful state. What was Dukakis so proud of? The Bay State’s economy, mainly, which he called the “Massachusetts Mirac

—————
Ailes forbade the campaign from releasing Horton’s photograph. When the campaign produced its now-famous Massachusetts prison “revolving door” ad, it was filmed in Utah, in sepia tones, and the inmates appeared to be white, black, and Hispanic.

Earlier, two conservative provocateurs, Larry McCarthy and Floyd Brown, produced a low-budget ad showing Horton’s picture and mentioning his name.

Democrats pounced. This is racist, they said. Some of the media followed suit and some didn’t, although with each passing year, the “vile” Willie Horton ad narrative entrenched itself more deeply in the collective memories of Democrats and the media.
———
Those closest to the case were the most nonplussed by this characterization. Dane Strother, a former Eagle-Tribune reporter who became a Democratic political consultant, told me race was never an issue when Dukakis’ furlough program came under scrutiny. “It wasn’t about racism,” he said. “That didn’t come up. Not ever.”
———————

I covered the 1988 campaign, and I pressed Lee Atwater about this myself. Not just the name, but the whole issue. He looked at me as if I were being deliberately obtuse. He said that when he first heard about the case, he hoped the furloughed inmate was white. “I wish his name was Jimmy Don Horton or Joe Bob Horton,” he told me. “We’d have made him even more famous, plastered his picture everywhere. This is about crime.”

Gore never mentioned Horton by name or his race, just the program under which he was furloughed. It was the Republicans that ran with the racial-fear angle.

Did Gore Hatch Horton?

Could you explain to the USMB forum, the reasoning that your feeble mind used to come to the stupid conclusion that the Willie Horton ads were somehow "racist"?

Does truth=wayciss in your retarded twisted little feeble mind?

Here's the ad you are whining about, you low IQ bitchy wimpy whiney weakling pathetic Democratic party of slavery supporting bitch...

Can you directly cite a single statement in that ad that is not the truth?

Yes? Or no?

Could you explain to the USMB forum, the reasoning that your feeble mind used to come to the stupid conclusion that the Willie Horton ads were somehow "racist"?

Does truth=wayciss in your retarded twisted little feeble mind?

Here's the ad you are whining about, you low IQ bitchy wimpy whiney weakling pathetic Democratic party of slavery supporting bitch...

Can you directly cite a single statement in that ad that is not the truth?

Yes? Or no?

Ads that highlight the horrible policies of the dembots, are racist

That you rely on a Tik Toc video for "actual facts" tells me everything I need to know about your level of idiocy.

On March 28, 2019, Angie Maxwell presented “The Long Southern Strategy: How Chasing White Voters in the South Changed American Politics” as part of the Pryor Center Presents lecture series. Beginning with Barry Goldwater’s Operation Dixie in 1964, the Republican Party targeted disaffected white voters in the Democratic stronghold of the American South. To realign these voters with the GOP, the party capitalized on white racial angst that threatened southern white control. However—and this is critical—that decision was but one in a series of decisions the GOP made not just on race, but on feminism and religion as well, in what is called here the “Long Southern Strategy.” In the wake of Second-Wave Feminism, the GOP dropped the Equal Rights Amendment from its platform and promoted traditional gender roles in an effort to appeal to anti-feminist white southerners, and it politicized evangelical fundamentalist Christianity represented by the Southern Baptist Convention. Over time, that made the party southern, not in terms of place, but in its vision, in its demands, in its rhetoric, and in its spirit. In doing so, it nationalized southern white identity, and that has changed American politics.

That you rely on a Tik Toc video for "actual facts" tells me everything I need to know about your level of idiocy.

On March 28, 2019, Angie Maxwell presented “The Long Southern Strategy: How Chasing White Voters in the South Changed American Politics” as part of the Pryor Center Presents lecture series. Beginning with Barry Goldwater’s Operation Dixie in 1964, the Republican Party targeted disaffected white voters in the Democratic stronghold of the American South. To realign these voters with the GOP, the party capitalized on white racial angst that threatened southern white control. However—and this is critical—that decision was but one in a series of decisions the GOP made not just on race, but on feminism and religion as well, in what is called here the “Long Southern Strategy.” In the wake of Second-Wave Feminism, the GOP dropped the Equal Rights Amendment from its platform and promoted traditional gender roles in an effort to appeal to anti-feminist white southerners, and it politicized evangelical fundamentalist Christianity represented by the Southern Baptist Convention. Over time, that made the party southern, not in terms of place, but in its vision, in its demands, in its rhetoric, and in its spirit. In doing so, it nationalized southern white identity, and that has changed American politics.
it’s sad angie maxwell can’t make it on to a video that can be shared on tic tok

During the early 1960's white racial moderates thought that by supporting civil rights legislation and the War on Poverty they were buying racial peace. What they got instead were five years of black ghetto rioting, and more enduring increases in black social pathology.

That is why the Southern Strategy turned the United States into a Republican country. Lower income whites vote against their economic interests by voting Republican because they do not trust the Democrats on the issues of crime, race, and immigration. For most people, most of the time, loyalties of race, nation, and ethnicity are stronger than loyalties of class.

If it had not been for the black ghetto riots, and the disruptive behavior of the anti war movement, a Democrat dove would have been elected president in 1968 who would have ended the War in Vietnam. Instead the War continued for seven more terrible years.

Forum List

Back