The Mystery of Palestine

JStone

Rookie
Jun 29, 2011
Countries are usually called by the name of their inhabitants: Italians and Italy, Rome and Romans in earlier times, Greece and Greeks and Israel and the Israelites and Israelis, etc.

Palestine, however, is strangely different for it was not named for Palestinians. The Romans first called Judaea, the ancestral Jewish land from which "Jew" is derived, "Syria Palaestina" in retribution for the Jewish rebellions against Roman oppression. But, the Romans did not name Palaestina after Palestinians. Palaestina was based on the Philistines, ancient enemies of the Jews who originated from Greece. The word Philistine is based on the Hebrew "Peleshet" that means "invader" Although, the Jews continued to call their country Israel or "Eretz Yisrael" the land of Israel. The Romans were foreign occupiers from Europe with no authority to change the name of the Jews' land that was called Israel or Judah for several centuries before Rome and Romans even existed.

Centuries after the fall of the Roman Empire, the British took control of Israel after WW I and the collapse of the Ottoman Empire and during the British Mandate re-named the land Palestine not after any Palestinians but after the Roman Palaestina. Funnily enough, anyone living there--Jew or otherwise--was called a Palestinian.

So, in the end, Palestine was never named after its inhabitants, the so-called Palestinians, it was based on the British, Romans, Greeks and Hebrews. The Palestinians were never involved in the creation of their own name.

Funny how the so-called Palestinians don't have their own identity and call their land Palestine by others' names for it.

Last edited:
  • Banned
It's no mystery. Hebrews could not defeat the Palestinians in the Canaanite days and they can't get rid of them today.

Awww, you just made that up Bullshit-Seeker. Palestinians are just Arabs from Arabia not Canaan, dink.

It's no mystery. Hebrews could not defeat the Palestinians in the Canaanite days and they can't get rid of them today.

Awww, you just made that up Bullshit-Seeker. Palestinians are just Arabs from Arabia not Canaan, dink.

You never heard of the david and goliath. I think the story is bullshit but the battles are reaL

• Banned

You never heard of the david and goliath. I think the story is bullshit but the battles are reaL

Bullshit Seeker, the Philistines originated from Greece and the Mediterranean Sea. Palestinians are Arabs from the desert of Arabia.

You're so stupid, it's not even funny, but, I still laugh :lol:

Bullshit Seeker, the Philistines originated from Greece and the Mediterranean Sea. Palestinians are Arabs from the desert of Arabia.

There is no poof of that.

• Banned

There is no poof of that.

Bullshit Seeker.

Eminent Archaeologist and Historian, former Fulbright Scholar Eric Cline...
The claims that modern Palestinians are descended from the ancient Jebusites are madewithout any supporting evidence. Historians and archaeologists have generally concluded that most, if not all, modern Palestinians are probably more closely related to the Arabs of Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Jordan and other countries than they are to the ancient Jebusites, Canaanites or Philistines.

Rashid Khalidi, professor of Middle East history and director of the Center for International Studies at the University of Chicago and advisor to various Arab groups...
There is a relatively recent tradition which argues that Palestinian nationalism has deep historical roots. As with other national movements, extreme advocates of this view anachronistically read back into the history of Palestine over the past few centuries a nationalist consciousness and identity that are in fact relatively modern. Among the manifestations of this outlook are a predilection for seeing in peoples such as the Canaanites, Jebusites and Philistines the lineal ancestors of the modern Palestinians.

Historian Bernard Lewis...
By [Arabs] bypassing the Biblical Israelites and claiming kinship with the Canaanites, it is possible to assert a historical claim antedating the biblical promise and possession put forward by the Jews. This line of argument isaccompanied by the common practice in Arab countries, in textbook, museums and exhibitions of minimizing the Jewish role in ancient history or, more frequently, presenting it in very negative terms.

In terms of scholarship as distinct from politics, there is no evidence whatsoever for the assertion that the Canaanites were Arabs.

In this case, it's like the Syrians, Jordanians, Canadians and Americans. The people are named after the place.

In this case, it's like the Syrians, Jordanians, Canadians and Americans. The people are named after the place.

Syria was named by the Greeks after the Syris.
The Aramaens named their country Aram.

I thought Syria was named after the Assyrians and Assyrian Empire. I was just saying that the current Syrians have no relation to the Assyrians. Instead, they took their name from the land. But you can strike "Syrians from my post" if it does not fit your criteria.

I thought Syria was named after the Assyrians and Assyrian Empire. I was just saying that the current Syrians have no relation to the Assyrians. Instead, they took their name from the land. But you can strike "Syrians from my post" if it does not fit your criteria.

Herodotus thought Syria a shortened version of Assyria, but, Herodotus was not reliable and scholars believe he never traveled to the Near East.

Assur was named for the Assyrians, located in Mesopotamia.

Akkad/Agade named for the Akkadians.

Sumer for the Sumerians.

Syria was named by the Greeks who came in contact with the Syris. Previously, is was Aram named for the Aramaens.

Since "Palestine" was invented by the Romans who renamed the Jewish land after the Greek Philistines, that means if the Romans had instead named the land Mars, Palestinians would instead be called Martians. :lol:

Last edited:
Since "Palestine" was invented by the Romans who renamed the Jewish land after the Greek Philistines, that means if the Romans had instead named the land Uranus, Palestinians would instead be called Assholes

Since "Palestine" was invented by the Romans who renamed the Jewish land after the Greek Philistines, that means if the Romans had instead named the land Turkey, Palestinians would instead be called Turkeys. Which they are, anyway. :lol:

Since "Palestine" was invented by the Romans who renamed the Jewish land after the Greek Philistines, that means if the Romans had instead named the land Venus, Palestinians would instead be called Venetians. And, the ones who couldn't see would be Venetian blinds. :lol:

Hide and seek is a very popular game at Arab parties: They hide in Palestine and nobody can find them.

Forum List

Back