The Mysteries of the Trump Impeachment Remake.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
  • What if this whole [impeachment] farce is part of a broader attempt at injecting a strong dose of revisionist vengefulness in the American political culture?
  • Deeper thinkers in that crowd demand a defunding of the police and the creation of "free zones" in cities where "freedom-fighters" keep "White Supremacists" out. Trump, being the bete-noire of "anti-Imperialist" and "Progressive" militants, it is no surprise that they insist on getting the pound of flesh they have no claim to.
  • On the Republican side, Trump may seek the party's nomination.

Soon after he was declared winner of the 2020 presidential election by the Associated Press last November, then-President-elect Joe Biden called on the American people to start closing the President Donald Trump chapter as a nightmare and move on.

The concept of closing a chapter and moving on has always been an important part of American political discourse. From its earliest days, the United States developed a positivist political culture that ejected the nurturing of ressentimentso dear to old European powers. That culture regarded concepts as vendetta and revanchisme, so strong in the old continent, with contempt. Even after the War of Secession, a tragic event by any standard, that culture helped Americans of all political shades to move on and, in time, get together again.

One only has to read what Gen. Ulysses S Grant, commander in chief of the unionists who led his camp to victory in the War of Secession, has to say in praise of the defeated Gen. Robert E Lee, the Confederate commander to realize that American political culture is not only remarkably free of vengefulness but also promotes forgiveness in the service of the common interest.

The American is advised not to get mad but get even.

• Banned
^ Could the two-party system develop into a one-and-a-half party scheme in which the one party is always in government and the half-party always in opposition?

That's what happened in neighboring Mexico where the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI) was in power from 1920 to 2000 with a half party serving as opposition to keep the myth of democracy alive.

Were this to happen, we would witness one of those ironies that give history its bitter-sweet taste. Mexicans fought for two centuries to have a democracy like that of their northern neighbor, never dreaming that anyone north of Rio Grande may wish to Mexicanize the American system.

Since the republicans have devolved into something that would accept a criminal president seizing power something must be done to slam the door on the worst threat to democracy since the civil war. Democrats cannot just move on because the threat is still there. Acting like this was any other election would only serve to normalize political violence and attempted coups.

There is no mystery. Donald Trump inspired domestic terrorists to force a violent cessation of counting votes for the Presidential election in Congress which was technically an insurrection.

Since the republicans have devolved into something that would accept a criminal president seizing power something must be done to slam the door on the worst threat to democracy since the civil war. Democrats cannot just move on because the threat is still there. Acting like this was any other election would only serve to normalize political violence and attempted coups.
Wow, would be funny as hell, but your as serious as a heart attack ... scary.

• What if this whole [impeachment] farce is part of a broader attempt at injecting a strong dose of revisionist vengefulness in the American political culture?
  • Deeper thinkers in that crowd demand a defunding of the police and the creation of "free zones" in cities where "freedom-fighters" keep "White Supremacists" out. Trump, being the bete-noire of "anti-Imperialist" and "Progressive" militants, it is no surprise that they insist on getting the pound of flesh they have no claim to.
  • On the Republican side, Trump may seek the party's nomination.

Soon after he was declared winner of the 2020 presidential election by the Associated Press last November, then-President-elect Joe Biden called on the American people to start closing the President Donald Trump chapter as a nightmare and move on.

The concept of closing a chapter and moving on has always been an important part of American political discourse. From its earliest days, the United States developed a positivist political culture that ejected the nurturing of ressentimentso dear to old European powers. That culture regarded concepts as vendetta and revanchisme, so strong in the old continent, with contempt. Even after the War of Secession, a tragic event by any standard, that culture helped Americans of all political shades to move on and, in time, get together again.

One only has to read what Gen. Ulysses S Grant, commander in chief of the unionists who led his camp to victory in the War of Secession, has to say in praise of the defeated Gen. Robert E Lee, the Confederate commander to realize that American political culture is not only remarkably free of vengefulness but also promotes forgiveness in the service of the common interest.

The American is advised not to get mad but get even.

Wow!

Those "free zones" mentioned in the OP sound exciting.

Does that mean that there would be no-go zones (for cops)?

Great!

That might mean that all the bad guys would gravitate to the "free zones" to do their thing. They could rob and kill one another.

Then they would stay out of the good people's zones, where there would be MORE cops.

I laughed off all the civil war talk for years until 1/6. Now I take it deadly serious. Not going to be able to go back to the days when people thought all that talk was just talk. Did the hard right ever want to be taken seriously? This is what that looks like.

There is no mystery. Donald Trump inspired domestic terrorists to force a violent cessation of counting votes for the Presidential election in Congress which was technically an insurrection.
It's time for the shy anti-Trumpers to speak.

I laughed off all the civil war talk for years until 1/6. Now I take it deadly serious. Not going to be able to go back to the days when people thought all that talk was just talk. Did the hard right ever want to be taken seriously? This is what that looks like.
Hey , is this AOC? Drama much?

The Republican defense is built around the concept that a President is free to do whatever he wants after he loses an election since it is “too late” to impeach

Since you are not going to police your own wackos the task must fall to the real patriots in this country. There must be a political cost associated with trying to murder democracy.

Since you are not going to police your own wackos the task must fall to the real patriots in this country. There must be a political cost associated with trying to murder democracy.
Who the hell did you police in Portland, Seattle?

Who the hell did you police in Portland, Seattle?
Deflection attempt unsuccessful. I'll ask you straight up. Do we take the far right seriously in their apocalyptic civil war, tree of liberty, second amendment solutions bullshit or not? Was I more correct when I was laughing at their impotent rage right in their pasty fat faces?

Now that we have a party and a half, I wonder who won't be taking any responsibility for that?

Forum List

Back