The most controversial debate in the world

Natural Citizen

American Made
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 8, 2016
Motor oil.

I have an oil change coming up here soon in the 350 small block. Last time I was under there the old stuff drained out at darned near the consistency of water. It always does.

That was at around 2000 miles on the Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic that was in there. Mobil 1 is good oil, but I donlt think the oil itself is as good as their advertising department makes it out to be.

Reason I bring it up is because I'm really considering changing it up to Amsoil 10W-40, also full synthetic.

It seems to me that 10W-40 would be the best of both worlds in terms of winter and summer cruising.

Really, I had even thought about trying Mobil 1 15W-50, but not sure I wanna take a chance on blowing seals out. Might be risky.

Motor oil.

I have an oil change coming up here soon in the 350 small block. Last time I was under there the old stuff drained out at darned near the consistency of water. It always does.

That was at around 2000 miles on the Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic that was in there. Mobil 1 is good oil, but I donlt think the oil itself is as good as their advertising department makes it out to be.

Reason I bring it up is because I'm really considering changing it up to Amsoil 10W-40, also full synthetic.

It seems to me that 10W-40 would be the best of both worlds in terms of winter and summer cruising.

Really, I had even thought about trying Mobil 1 15W-50, but not sure I wanna take a chance on blowing seals out. Might be risky.
How many mile on what vintage motor?

I have no idea. I just take the cars into the dealer every 6-12 months and they change it.

I'm gonna bump it up to 10W-40 anyway, and make the switch from Mobil 1 to Amsoil regardless.

I was just mainly interested in what the men had to say about it. Ahem.

Plus I get tired of talking about politics all the time.

Last edited:

It's my old corvette. A 31 year old L98 350 small block and just flipped 100,000 miles. But it's been a garage queen and meticulously cared for over its lifetime, all fluids changed by the book. It's never been a daily driver. It's had roughly 3,000 miles put on it per year since it rolled off the assembly line.

JbvOFKH.jpg

Last edited:
Motor oil.

Yanno I remember reading that Europeans think we change oil way way more often than necessary. They do it like once a year, if that.

But I have to admit when I saw the title I thought this thread was gonna be about which way the toilet paper comes off.

It's my old corvette. A 31 year old L98 350 small block and just flipped 100,000 miles. But it's been a garage queen and meticulously cared for over its lifetime, all fluids changed by the book. It's never been a daily driver. It's had roughly 3,000 miles put on it per year since it rolled off the assembly line.

JbvOFKH.jpg
You're an FOP. Diggin' it.
Why not just drain the oil and go with a synthetic?

IF you have a Vette of that vintage you are probably a better gear head than I. I mostly stick with what the manufacturer selected as to viscosity or recommended after break in oil (boy the phrase break in oil that dates me), but immediately change to brand I prefer if not in it already, at first oil change. IF it starts with synthetic or in my case blended synthetic, I stay with it. My Jeep did not start with it, so I have never changed to it. At 100k, 10-W40 will do it no harm, in my opinion. Enjoy the cool toy, dude! :cool:

Yanno I remember reading that Europeans think we change oil way way more often than necessary. They do it like once a year, if that.

But I have to admit when I saw the title I thought this thread was gonna be about which way the toilet paper comes off.

Yeah, I agree.

I think really between 7,000 and 10,000 miles is about right on oil.

I think they run the every 3,000 mile narrative here in the US in order to sell more oil changes to the folks who go in and have it done. It's like one those lies that if you repeat it enough peole just believe it and go along with it.

I do it once a year in this particular car, but like I said, it doesn't really get driven a whole lot of miles.

If I was going to change at 2000 I wouldn't waste the money on synthetic. Now we aren't talking a lot of money probably as you do not drive the car much.

I had a diesel VW and some of those guys were incredibly anal with their oil. More than a few had their oil analyzed at 10,000 miles and the oil always showed life left (synthetic oil).

IF you have a Vette of that vintage you are probably a better gear head than I. I mostly stick with what the manufacturer selected as to viscosity or recommended after break in oil (boy the phrase break in oil that dates me), but immediately change to brand I prefer if not in it already, at first oil change. IF it starts with synthetic or in my case blended synthetic, I stay with it. My Jeep did not start with it, so I have never changed to it. At 100k, 10-W40 will do it no harm, in my opinion. Enjoy the cool toy, dude! :cool:

I was gonna do it anyway. I was just thinking about it so started a thread about oil in general just to see what the fellers thought about oil. I post on a car forum, but cripes, you spring a leak in a hose those guys will have you changing head gaskets. So I don't really go there too much.

I'm just kind of tired of talking about politics so picked something different for a change. Political discussion is just such a downer anymore. And motor oil is a very controversial topic, believe it or not. lol.

If I was going to change at 2000 I wouldn't waste the money on synthetic. Now we aren't talking a lot of money probably as you do not drive the car much.

I had a diesel VW and some of those guys were incredibly anal with their oil. More than a few had their oil analyzed at 10,000 miles and the oil always showed life left (synthetic oil).

I've known people who get their old oil analyzed like that. It's kind of funny.

I've known people who get their old oil analyzed like that. It's kind of funny.

Lol....I thought so. For a family car anyway.

I was gonna do it anyway. I was just thinking about it so started a thread about oil in general just to see what the fellers thought about oil. I post on a car forum, but cripes, you spring a leak in a hose those guys will have you changing head gaskets. So I don't really go there too much.

I'm just kind of tired of talking about politics so picked something different for a change. Political discussion is just such a downer anymore. And motor oil is a very controversial topic, believe it or not. lol.
Good a choice as any for a thread. Has been kind of depressing on here lately.

Just my opinion, but I think all major brands of oil have gotten pretty good, and I really don't have a preference other than I don't care to change brands. Seems to me that viscosity really depends on where you are. The right choice if you are in Maine will be a lot different than if you are in Texas.

JbvOFKH.jpg

With the info you just gave, I would select a product that is engineered for stored vehicles. Nice ride.

I've was using Supertech for years.

I've recently switched to Kirkland brand...which I suspect is the same oil.

My pickup is 31 years old and I've had it for 21 of those years. It's completely original internally...and I have no idea how many miles it has on it now.

It's a Ford 302 V8. I run 10w-40 in the summer and 10w-30 in the winter...and those are the only times I change it...spring and fall.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back