The month of Ramadan

Do car bombings stop during ramadan?

They probably offer big discounts on suicide vests for children at this time of year.

What a sick, sick thing to say. Pathetic.

Reality can be harsh:

The radical Islamist movement is not part of mainstream Islam. Think southern baptist on steroids in comparison to mainstream Christianity.

Is that the same with the treatment of women, gays, honor killings, terrorist attacks in the name of islam???

Isn't it true that sunnis and shites would be happy to kill each other off? Isn't there a proxy war between Iran and Saudi Arabia presently on-going??

Man you are so full of shit.

Yes, gays are brutally treated in many Arab countries. (In one of the Indonesian islands recently, two young gay men were brutally whipped,)

But it is necessary to remember a few things.

1. In Syria, for example, gays -- I have read -- were quietly tolerated so long as they stayed in the closet. (That was the situation before the Civil War at least.)

2. Christians in Europe & the U.S. until recently were also harsh in their treatment of gay people.

a. After World War II, the Allied forces freed all the concentration camp inmates-- EXCEPT men who had been sent there for violating Nazi anti-gay laws.

b. The Englishman who helped saved his country from Nazi invasion was discovered to be gay after the war. He was offered jail or chemical castration. He chose the latter. A few years later, he apparently committed suicide.

c. Here in the States, the police regularly entrapped thousands of gay men, resulting in many of them losing their jobs. New York City cops would even urge landlords to evict gay tenants.

3. Today many countries in Africa brutally treat gays. It is said that some Christian missionaries from the United States urge those countries to do so.

I think your heart is in the right place but to equate the treatment of gays in islamic countries with how they were treated in Western countries is naive. Even if we agree that past practices were wrong you can't explain why this is still the practice in islamic countries TODAY!

Care to venture an opinion on the treatment of women in islamic countries?

3, Today many countries in Africa brutally treat gays. It is said that some Christian missionaries from the United States urge those countries to do so.
Perhaps you could post a link to back up your Lies.

Hi,

I am a computer-illiterate old man (84 years old).

I could not post a link to save my life.

I thought that it was common knowledge that some so-called fundamentalist Christian missionaries preach the "evils" of gay relations to their African flocks.

I am sure that you can find such articles by googling.

Have a nice day!

Yep. Christian Evangelicals traveled to Africa on a mission to encourage persecution and harsh penalties for homosexuals.

They probably offer big discounts on suicide vests for children at this time of year.

Reality can be harsh:

The radical Islamist movement is not part of mainstream Islam. Think southern baptist on steroids in comparison to mainstream Christianity.

Is that the same with the treatment of women, gays, honor killings, terrorist attacks in the name of islam???

Isn't it true that sunnis and shites would be happy to kill each other off? Isn't there a proxy war between Iran and Saudi Arabia presently on-going??

Yes, gays are brutally treated in many Arab countries. (In one of the Indonesian islands recently, two young gay men were brutally whipped,)

1. In Syria, for example, gays -- I have read -- were quietly tolerated so long as they stayed in the closet. (That was the situation before the Civil War at least.)

2. Christians in Europe & the U.S. until recently were also harsh in their treatment of gay people.

a. After World War II, the Allied forces freed all the concentration camp inmates-- EXCEPT men who had been sent there for violating Nazi anti-gay laws.

b. The Englishman who helped saved his country from Nazi invasion was discovered to be gay after the war. He was offered jail or chemical castration. He chose the latter. A few years later, he apparently committed suicide.

c. Here in the States, the police regularly entrapped thousands of gay men, resulting in many of them losing their jobs. New York City cops would even urge landlords to evict gay tenants.

3. Today many countries in Africa brutally treat gays. It is said that some Christian missionaries from the United States urge those countries to do so.

US religious right presses anti-gay laws in Africa

Jul 24, 2012 · CAPE TOWN, South Africa (AP) — Conservative U.S. Christian groups are setting up fronts in Africa to fight for anti-gay and anti-abortion legislation to promote their fundamentalist convictions, a...

How Uganda was seduced by anti-gay conservative evangelicals ...
www.independent.co.uk › news › world
Mar 14, 2014 · One of the first to investigate links between American conservatives and the African anti-gay movement was Kipya Kaoma, a Zambian clergyman living in Boston. Homosexuality was illegal in Uganda...

Is this the only defense you have for the violence, intolerance, racism and misogyny in islamic countries?

Reality can be harsh:

I think your heart is in the right place but to equate the treatment of gays in islamic countries with how they were treated in Western countries is naive. Even if we agree that past practices were wrong you can't explain why this is still the practice in islamic countries TODAY!

I do not know much about the treatment of women in the Middle East.

I have read that women in Saudi Arabia are being given more freedom. (They can now drive, for example.)

Furthermore, it IS possible that many women in the Middle East do not feel unnecessarily oppressed.

With the Internet & cellphones, women in the Middle East will continue to have more equal rights with men, I assume.

In every society, it takes time to make changes. Slavery in Christian America continued for many years until a Civil War was necessary to stop it.

Have a nice day!

Reality can be harsh:

I do not know much about the treatment of women in the Middle East.

I have read that women in Saudi Arabia are being given more freedom. (They can now drive, for example.)

Furthermore, it IS possible that many women in the Middle East do not feel unnecessarily oppressed.

With the Internet & cellphones, women in the Middle East will continue to have more equal rights with men, I assume.

In every society, it takes time to make changes. Slavery in Christian America continued for many years until a Civil War was necessary to stop it.

Have a nice day!

The truth might keep you awake at night and at your age it's probably better that you sleep peacefully. Ignorance has its advantages.

Reality can be harsh:

Jul 24, 2012 · CAPE TOWN, South Africa (AP) — Conservative U.S. Christian groups are setting up fronts in Africa to fight for anti-gay and anti-abortion legislation to promote their fundamentalist convictions, a...

Mar 14, 2014 · One of the first to investigate links between American conservatives and the African anti-gay movement was Kipya Kaoma, a Zambian clergyman living in Boston. Homosexuality was illegal in Uganda...

Is this the only defense you have for the violence, intolerance, racism and misogyny in islamic countries?

When I lived in the Middle East I was always treated with kindness and hospitality.. We always gave Muslim friends small packages of dates for Ramadan and they would give us candied fruit in beautiful boxes for Christmas. They also loaned us Camels, Sheep and donkeys for our Christmas pageants.

Don't believe the hateful crap you seek out on the internet.

Reality can be harsh:

When I lived in the Middle East I was always treated with kindness and hospitality.. We always gave Muslim friends small packages of dates for Ramadan and they would give us candied fruit in beautiful boxes for Christmas. They also loaned us Camels, Sheep and donkeys for our Christmas pageants.

As I said I was there many times and in different islamic countries. Same shit different country.

Reality can be harsh:

As I said I was there many times and in different islamic countries. Same shit different country.

You weren't there long.

Reality can be harsh:

You weren't there long.

More bullshit.

3, Today many countries in Africa brutally treat gays. It is said that some Christian missionaries from the United States urge those countries to do so.

How many links do you want? I posted two, but there are hundreds.

Seems you like links. I mentioned that muslims are racist, I need to provide you with a few links to back up my statement and not just what I have witnessed when in-country:

"Black men and women are constantly depicted as dirty and sluggish and their skin colour is subject to racist mockery and associated with bad luck."

The outrageous racism that ‘graced’ Arab TV screens in Ramadan

"None of this has happened in a vacuum: in 2000 there were deadly anti-immigrant riots in Libya. Nor is there anything unusual about Libyan attitudes: Arab racism toward black Africans is commonplace, even if it remains a taboo subject. For the Nobel Prize winning novelist Wole Soyinka, the unwillingness to confront Arab racism is rooted in the role of Arabs in the slave trade. “Arabs and Islam are guilty of the cultural and spiritual savaging of the Continent,” he writes."

The Great Taboo: Arab Racism

"The Arabic word for "slave" is often colloquially used to address black Africans in the Middle East. Just think about the uproar – and how justified the anger – when racists refer to Arabs in an equally degrading way."

The Arab world needs to admit it's racist

I can provide hundreds. Want more?

Reality can be harsh:

You mention TODAY.

Yes, you are correct, the Middle East is currently behind the West in its treatment of gays.

But kindly remember that cultures change at different speeds.

While the West was brutalizing gays, there were AT THE SAME various cultures in this world that did not persecute gays.

It took to the 1960s for America and most of Europe (with notable exceptions) to catch up with those cultures that had never persecuted gays.

Let's all hope that the younger people in the Middle East (and Africa) will help move their societies toward more tolerance.

Reality can be harsh:

You mention TODAY.

Yes, you are correct, the Middle East is currently behind the West in its treatment of gays.

But kindly remember that cultures change at different speeds.

While the West was brutalizing gays, there were AT THE SAME various cultures in this world that did not persecute gays.

It took to the 1960s for America and most of Europe (with notable exceptions) to catch up with those cultures that had never persecuted gays.

Let's all hope that the younger people in the Middle East (and Africa) will help move their societies toward more tolerance.

Be happy. Dreams are good. Sleep well.

Seems you like links. I mentioned that muslims are racist, I need to provide you with a few links to back up my statement and not just what I have witnessed when in-country:

"Black men and women are constantly depicted as dirty and sluggish and their skin colour is subject to racist mockery and associated with bad luck."

"None of this has happened in a vacuum: in 2000 there were deadly anti-immigrant riots in Libya. Nor is there anything unusual about Libyan attitudes: Arab racism toward black Africans is commonplace, even if it remains a taboo subject. For the Nobel Prize winning novelist Wole Soyinka, the unwillingness to confront Arab racism is rooted in the role of Arabs in the slave trade. “Arabs and Islam are guilty of the cultural and spiritual savaging of the Continent,” he writes."

"The Arabic word for "slave" is often colloquially used to address black Africans in the Middle East. Just think about the uproar – and how justified the anger – when racists refer to Arabs in an equally degrading way."

The views expressed in this article are the author’s own and do not necessarily reflect Al Jazeera’s editorial stance.

Hana Al-Khamri
Hana Al-Khamri
Hana Al-Khamri is a writer and analyst based in Sweden. She used to work as a journalist in Saudi Arabia.
Hana Al-Khamri is a writer and analyst based in Sweden. She used to work as a journalist in Saudi Arabia. She is also the author of the upcoming book Female Journalists in Gender-Apartheid Saudi Arabia.

The views expressed in this article are the author’s own and do not necessarily reflect Al Jazeera’s editorial stance.

Hana Al-Khamri
Hana Al-Khamri
Hana Al-Khamri is a writer and analyst based in Sweden. She used to work as a journalist in Saudi Arabia.
Hana Al-Khamri is a writer and analyst based in Sweden. She used to work as a journalist in Saudi Arabia. She is also the author of the upcoming book Female Journalists in Gender-Apartheid Saudi Arabia.

I have plenty more and you can try to make excuses but the fact is simple: muslims are racist.

Yep. Christian Evangelicals traveled to Africa on a mission to encourage persecution and harsh penalties for homosexuals.
Your link says nothing about Christian Evangelicals encouraging the persecution and harsh penalties for homosexuals.

Your comment is just another Leftist LIE !!!

Reality can be harsh:

You continue to shy away from discussing the outright disgusting treatment of gays by phony "Christian" cults right here in the USA by trying to turn the conversation toward treatment of LGBTs (and women) in foreign countries. Explain the behavior of such people as frankie graham and jeffress, the "Family Research Council," the "American Family Association." who pretend to be Christian and who operate right here in the good ole USA. Forget the cheap deflection and explain this trash.

New Topics

Forum List

Back