The Model State Emergency Health Powers Act: An Assault on Civil Liberties in the Nam

Lookout

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2007
The Model State Emergency Health Powers Act: An Assault on Civil Liberties in the Name of Homeland Security

A number of people have asked me what health freedom could possibly have to do with homeland security. Let me assure you that there is a major connection. It's called the Model State Emergency Health Powers Act. Those who have heard of it are far outnumbered by those who have not. And, as proposed, the Model State Emergency Health Powers Act will impact our individual freedoms and civil liberties for years to come.
A HIDDEN AGENDA

In response to the tragedy of September 11, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services announced its support for model legislation. The goal was to provide federal funds to states to encourage the enactment of legislation to prevent and detect bioterrorist attacks. Drafted for the Centers for Disease Control by academicians from the Center for Law and the Public's Health at Georgetown and Johns Hopkins Universities, the so-called Model State Emergency Health Powers Act was released on October 23, 2001.

It is noteworthy that a key attorney who assisted in drafting this proposal was also very involved in Hillary Clinton's health care task force nearly a decade ago. It is also significant that two articles related to this proposal were published or prepared well before the Trade Center attacks. In January 1999, in a Columbia Law Review article, a plan was presented for changing public health laws. A similar plan appeared in an American Journal of Public Health article, published coincidentally in September 2001, but accepted for publication in March 2001.

It appears that this model legislation--formulated long before the terrorism of last fall--actually represents the promotion and expansion of a long-standing agenda. As these proposals come before the individual states, our elected officials should be aware of this history and examine carefully all proposals submitted to them.

Although this model legislation was recommended as a means to help states protect citizens against bioterrorist attacks and deal with national defense issues, the draft bill goes much, much further. It calls for giving state public health officials broad, new police powers--all in the name of controlling epidemics of infectious diseases during public health emergencies.

Furthermore, with an equally broad stroke, this model legislation defines "infectious disease" as "a disease caused by a living organism." As drafted, the October 23, 2001, proposal stresses that "an infectious disease may or may not be transmissible from person to person, animal to person or insect to person." Thus, any disease caused by a living organism could be classified as an infectious disease creating or invoking a public health emergency.

It is these broad definitions--painted with an overly broad brush in equally broad language--that our state officials and our state-based think tanks must be alerted to, aware of, and involved in examining as similar bills advance on state legislative agendas.

Key to all of this is what may or may not be considered or defined as a "public health emergency."
A THREAT TO FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS

Under this legislative proposal, once a public health emergency is declared, governors and state public health authorities would be granted greatly expanded police powers. While a few other actions are enumerated, I want to bring to your attention 10 main powers conveyed into the hands of only a very few individuals by this model plan.

Under the Model State Emergency Health Powers Act, upon the declaration of a "public health emergency," governors and public health officials would be empowered to:

1. Force individuals suspected of harboring an "infectious disease" to undergo medical examinations.
2. Track and share an individual's personal health information, including genetic information.
3. Force persons to be vaccinated, treated, or quarantined for infectious diseases.
4. Mandate that all health care providers report all cases of persons who harbor any illness or health condition that may be caused by an epidemic or an infectious agent and might pose a "substantial risk" to a "significant number of people or cause a long-term disability." (Note: Neither "substantial risk" nor "significant number" are defined in the draft.)
5. Force pharmacists to report any unusual or any increased prescription rates that may be caused by epidemic diseases.
6. Preempt existing state laws, rules and regulations, including those relating to privacy, medical licensure, and--this is key--property rights.
7. Control public and private property during a public health emergency, including pharmaceutical manufacturing plants, nursing homes, other health care facilities, and communications devices.
8. Mobilize all or any part of the "organized militia into service to the state to help enforce the state's orders."
9. Ration firearms, explosives, food, fuel and alcoholic beverages, among other commodities.
10. Impose fines and penalties to enforce their orders.

Representative Katie Porter Had the C eos of major HMO's in front of her and she tore them a new one. She outlined the many facets of single payer universal healthcare as compared to the status quo. She got them on the ropes and didn't let up. Talked about CEO salaries, corporate profit targets, drug costs, Huge advertising budgets, Nursing home care and its costs. etc etc. For every item she brought up she got those corporate talking heads to admit that in every instance health care would be far less expensive It was amazing. And she challenged each one on the basis of Profit and not for profit models. As each Exec tried to argue that quality would suffer, she pressed each one to explain how. I've never seen such a tongue tied bunch of squirrels in my life. As each argued that it would be a disaster to discount the effect that their leadership provides to the consumer that couldn't possibly be replaced. At one point she asked how many hours in the workday is spent on improving patient care as opposed to maximizing profits for their shareholders. They were tripping all over their tongues. Reminded me of the nervous executive being grilled by the IRS as played by Martin Short on SNL. I hope people were watching and listening closely because it was no contest. I really like her style. Comes armed with facts, challenges motives etc. She's no push over! I hate these human misery profiteers but I was just a little embarrased by the way they were being led to slaughter one after another.

Author of this OP looks to have last been here about Jan 18,2018. So he may or may not want to know his link no longer works.

There is a Wiki one though;
Rather short but worth the read and provides some update.

There is this alternate Heritage site article, dated from June 10, 2002;
And this;

Last edited:

Forum List

Back