The Mirisch Company

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
Unless you are devoted film buff, you probably never heard of The Mirisch Company but the chances are you certainly heard of their movies which include, The Magnificent Seven (1960), The Apartment (1960), West Side Story (1961), The Children's Hour (1961), The Great Escape (1963), The Pink Panther (1963), Hawaii (1966), In the Heat of the Night (1967), The Thomas Crown Affair (1968), Fiddler on the Roof (1971), Rocky (1976), ect, etc... Their association with the top directors in Hollywood, Billy Wilder, Blake Edwards, Robert Wise, George Roy Hill, William Wyler, J. Lee Thompson, John Sturges and Norman Jewison, made the name synonymous with success. The company was founded in 1958 by Walter Mirisch. All told Mirisch has given us over 75 major movies plus a number of TV shows. All his productions have not been well accepted by critics but the one thing that he is well know for is his films never lost money.

Unless you are devoted film buff, you probably never heard of The Mirisch Company but the chances are you certainly heard of their movies which include, The Magnificent Seven (1960), The Apartment (1960), West Side Story (1961), The Children's Hour (1961), The Great Escape (1963), The Pink Panther (1963), Hawaii (1966), In the Heat of the Night (1967), The Thomas Crown Affair (1968), Fiddler on the Roof (1971), Rocky (1976), ect, etc... Their association with the top directors in Hollywood, Billy Wilder, Blake Edwards, Robert Wise, George Roy Hill, William Wyler, J. Lee Thompson, John Sturges and Norman Jewison, made the name synonymous with success. The company was founded in 1958 by Walter Mirisch. All told Mirisch has given us over 75 major movies plus a number of TV shows. All his productions have not been well accepted by critics but the one thing that he is well know for is his films never lost money.
Some great movies there. The Apartment is my favourite film ever.

The Apartment is also one my favorites along with Marty, The Third Man, The Magnificent Ambersons, Since you Went Away, My Fair Lady, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, The Shawshank Redemption, Lincoln, Shape of Water, The Help, Hidden Figures, The Green Book, La La Land, and too many more to list.

I have seen The Apartment several times and it still makes me laugh and brings a tear to my eye. Jack Lemon, Shirley MacLaine, and Fred MacMurray were perfectly cast. When I first saw the movie, I had just moved to New York to take a new job. I didn't know a sole and was lonely as hell so the rather melancholy mood of the movie, mixed with comedy was just the way I felt about life then.

Last edited:
The Apartment is also one my favorites along with Marty, The Third Man, The Magnificent Ambersons, Since you Went Away, My Fair Lady, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, The Shawshank Redemption, Lincoln, Shape of Water, The Help, Hidden Figures, The Green Book, La La Land, and too many more to list.

I have seen The Apartment several times and it still makes me laugh and brings a tear to my eye. Jack Lemon, Shirley MacLaine, and Fred MacMurray were perfectly cast. When I first saw the movie, I had just moved to New York to take a new job. I didn't know a sole and was lonely as hell so the rather melancholy mood of the movie, mixed with comedy was just the way I felt about life then.
Yup, I was chasing a girl who was seeing someone else when I first saw it. Cant understand how it worked out well for buddy boy and not for me.

Yup, I was chasing a girl who was seeing someone else when I first saw it. Cant understand how it worked out well for buddy boy and not for me.
Shirley MacLaine. Boy did I love her in that movie.

Forum List

Back