“The Media Is Creating a False Perception of Rising Racism”

9. For the state media, keeping the black vote is far more important than making black Americans successful, or even happy.

“…even brief exposure to critical race theory narratives disempowers Black people. This reinforces previous research that found that heightened perceptions of racism caused harm to Black Americans.

I asked some Black survey respondents to read a passage from the critical race theory-inspired writer Ta-Nehisi Coates, for example, a passage from Coates' writing about how "the police departments of your country have been endowed with the authority to destroy your body." To others I gave nothing to read, or a mild paragraph.

What I found was staggering: Reading even a single paragraph from Coates had a significant impact on Black respondents' ability to believe in their own agency.

Just 68 percent of Black respondents who read Coates' paragraph agreed with the statement, "When I make plans, I am almost certain that I can make them work"—compared to 83 percent of those who did not, a statistically-significant effect.”
The media is creating a false perception of rising racism. My new study proves it | Opinion

Reading a single racist passage???????????

Can black Americans have so little belief in their own ability?????????????

About the illusion of racism....

10. “…the effect is being amplified by politics and higher education. Black Biden voters were twice as likely as Black Trump voters to say that they personally experienced more racism under Trump than under Obama. And liberal Black Americans with a college degree were almost 30 points more likely to be offended by white people saying things like "I don't notice people's race" or "America is a colorblind society" than were Black Americans without degrees who identify as conservative.

…while the number of Black people shot by the police has declined by 60-80 percent since the 1960s, …the media exaggerates the level of racism in America, redefining non-racist words and actions as racist, this distortion of reality is not just false; it's actively disempowering minorities.

… progressive media's mining for racism has reached a point of diminishing returns, with perceptions doing more harm than good.”
The media is creating a false perception of rising racism. My new study proves it | Opinion

So I think the article is interesting, but it doesn't seem to be as thorough as I'd like. Here is the core claim beyond the title:

But what if everyone is wrong? What if the media and the national conversation isn't exposing racism so much as creating it, or at least, creating the impression that it is far more prevalent than we thought?
While the article does present some information showing how politics, social media, and education can impact our perceptions of issues, it doesn't really take the next step. For example, it says this:

The effect this false perception of rising racism is having on society—especially on Black Americans—is devastating
Is the media wrong to be covering racism? Is racism not on the rise? Is it lowering? Do we have less or more of these incidents? How do people think of each other? What supports the claim that the media is creating racism? I wouldn't know based on this article because despite making the claim it doesn't try to support anything beyond its more narrow initial claim.

Lastly, outside of one example this shows a difference of perception but doesn't establish if or why the more "liberal" perception is wrong. It assumes the more "conservative" stance is correct without presenting why. I'd like to know that but again this article doesn't inform me of that and assumes what is right instead of providing me any information for why that's right.
but why all the hate and racism pointed toward white people

For many reasons. One of them being....maybe the Jim Crow Laws are coming back to bite them back.

"Jim Crow laws were state and local laws that enforced racial segregation in the Southern United States."

Blacks are always blaming the Whites for this.

So I think the article is interesting, but it doesn't seem to be as thorough as I'd like. Here is the core claim beyond the title:

But what if everyone is wrong? What if the media and the national conversation isn't exposing racism so much as creating it, or at least, creating the impression that it is far more prevalent than we thought?
While the article does present some information showing how politics, social media, and education can impact our perceptions of issues, it doesn't really take the next step. For example, it says this:

The effect this false perception of rising racism is having on society—especially on Black Americans—is devastating
Is the media wrong to be covering racism? Is racism not on the rise? Is it lowering? Do we have less or more of these incidents? How do people think of each other? What supports the claim that the media is creating racism? I wouldn't know based on this article because despite making the claim it doesn't try to support anything beyond its more narrow initial claim.

Lastly, outside of one example this shows a difference of perception but doesn't establish if or why the more "liberal" perception is wrong. It assumes the more "conservative" stance is correct without presenting why. I'd like to know that but again this article doesn't inform me of that and assumes what is right instead of providing me any information for why that's right.

1619092408869.png

For many reasons. One of them being....maybe the Jim Crow Laws are coming back to bite them back.

"Jim Crow laws were state and local laws that enforced racial segregation in the Southern United States."

Blacks are always blaming the Whites for this.
The insidious thing about half the Jim Crow laws was that they were not racist by their words, as they didn't mention race, but were racist in their actions. Such as the "grandfather" voting rule. That if your grandfather voted, then you could vote, as an exception to the poll test, or poll tax.

I agree with the title of the thread.

The issues are that the racists left and right feel emboldened because of the Obama and Trump presidencies.

And worse.....there doesn't look like there is a home team.
I think there is a home team, we just aren't very well organized.

You have a point.....it's like the Harlem Globetrotters vs the Washington Generals.

Overall, the Globetrotters had defeated the Generals over 16,000 times in their combined history and winning a mere 3–6 games.
Washington Generals - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Washington_Generals

View attachment 482416
The "home team" has ended up being the populists....The Brexit vote was only the beginning....People around the western world are waking up to see that the uniparty doesn't only exist in Murica.

The issues are that the racists left and right feel emboldened because of the Obama and Trump presidencies.
There was absolutely nothing racist about Trump....For his number of faults, that wasn't one of them.
His Presidency allowed the racists on the right to crawl out from under the rocks. That you disagree is meaningless.

There was absolutely nothing racist about Trump....For his number of faults, that wasn't one of them.
His Presidency allowed the racists on the right to crawl out from under the rocks. That you disagree is meaningless.
Lebowski.gif

It's very likely racism in the US is not rising. It's just being recorded now, where it wasn't before.

The blathering comes from those who deny that Trump was not responsible for the re-emergence of the white racist right.

The blathering comes from those who deny that Trump was not responsible for the re-emergence of the white racist right.
Where?....Charlottesville, where a gaggle of goofballs, that maybe numbered as high as 200, had to travel in from numerous states?....What blame does Trump bear for that?

What other evidence do you have to back up this absurd claim?

For years, white supremacists have looked at Trump’s racist, xenophobic rhetoric as a source of encouragement. And some of the most prominent far right groups have openly embraced and endorsed the president.
Trump has not made a particularly strong effort to disavow their support, and his behaviour has often aligned with their toxic worldviews. Earlier this month at a rally in Minnesota, for example, Trump told a crowd of nearly all white supporters that they have “good genes,” echoing the views of neo-Nazis that white people are genetically superior.
[...]​
Shortly after Trump won the election in 2016, white nationalists gathered for a conference in Washington to celebrate Trump’s victory with Nazi salutes. Richard Spencer, a well-known neo-Nazi, in a speech opening up the conference said: “Hail Trump, hail our people, hail victory!”

For years, white supremacists have looked at Trump’s racist, xenophobic rhetoric as a source of encouragement. And some of the most prominent far right groups have openly embraced and endorsed the president.
Trump has not made a particularly strong effort to disavow their support, and his behaviour has often aligned with their toxic worldviews. Earlier this month at a rally in Minnesota, for example, Trump told a crowd of nearly all white supporters that they have “good genes,” echoing the views of neo-Nazis that white people are genetically superior.
[...]​
Shortly after Trump won the election in 2016, white nationalists gathered for a conference in Washington to celebrate Trump’s victory with Nazi salutes. Richard Spencer, a well-known neo-Nazi, in a speech opening up the conference said: “Hail Trump, hail our people, hail victory!”
Business Insider is a leftist scam rag.

Be that as it may, the "white nationalists" are still so few in number that they need to be drawn in from numerous states to gather in a "crowd" of a couple hundred....As stand-alones in their own homes, there aren't enough of them to get a dog catcher elected.....Meanwhile, the racists on your team are elected to powerful positions and not even called out when their bigotry and incitement are laid bare.

New Topics

Forum List

Back