The Meat Purveyors

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
I'm sure everyone knows about my affinity for Blue Grass music, but I've never heard anything quite like these guys and gals before.

The Meat Purveyors. Scroll down and listen to their cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Monday Morning'. Definetly different. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002C4IYU/ref=m_art_pr_2/104-4818600-9402354?ie=UTF8[/ame]

Check out 'How Can It Be So Thirsty Today' and Ronnie Milsap's (or is it Charlie Pride..or both) Day Dreams About Night Things etc, etc too.

Hometown: Austin, TX US

Whiskey-fueled and case-hardened deep in the heart of Texas, TMP boast a personal history that would shame Fleetwood Mac, and wood shedding that sends so-called roots revivalists, snooty bluegrass purists, and alt-country poseurs into paroxysms of self-doubt and years of expensive therapy.

And just who are these Texans who dare to breathe fresh life into the overly stoic, staid and mossback world of bluegrass? Anchoring this dysfunctional lot with his percussion guitar and gift for lyrics is recent Austin Music Hall of Fame inductee Bill Anderson (we're guessing it can't be THAT hard to get into, fer crying out loud). Diva Jo Walston is a honky tonk angel gone wrong under a towering beehive, while Miss Cherilyn DiMond delivers piledriver stand-up bass and harmonies directly from the choir (and banter directly from the truck stop parking lot). Mr. Peter Stiles, a reformed Deadhead, presents a flabbergasting prestidigitation on the mandolin and it is rumored that he has never played a bad solo. Ever. Darcie Deaville provides the fiery fiddling and the wild-eyed stares that fans fear to love and love to fear.

The Meat Purveyors are doing their best to keep bluegrass from tottering meekly into a dust-covered coffin. Help them, won't you? You don't want them to get too riled up.

Representative Quote: "Somebody get me a stiff drink." - Jo Walston

“Thinking and drinking. High and lonesome. It’s the kind of song and sentiment The Meat Purveyors have long specialized in. And it’s the stuff that makes them one of the few groups that can honestly claim they were bluegrass before bluegrass was cool.”

Continued here: http://www.bloodshotrecords.com/artists/themeatpurveyors/

Have you ever heard of the Avett Brothers? It's bluegrass with a sort of punk sensibility, if that makes any sense. It's hard to describe, but really great live.

Have you ever heard of the Avett Brothers? It's bluegrass with a sort of punk sensibility, if that makes any sense. It's hard to describe, but really great live.

Yes I have!! I love them. And yes, I know what you mean. You've seen them live? I must say, I'm JEALOUS!

Forum List

Back