The Meaning of Lyrics

The Mercedes Benz is about cramps from the air tank you use when you go underwater-if I remember right. Scuba diving Benz.

It is a drug song.

Last edited:
The Mercedes Benz is about cramps from the air tank you use when you go underwater-if I remember right. Scuba diving Benz.

It is a drug song.
That's called the bends (decompression sickness) and you get it when you try to surface too quickly from a deep scuba dive. I don't think the Eagles have ever explained what the song is about have they? Anyway, the rifts and solos and whole instrumental are fantastic!

That's called the bends (decompression sickness) and you get it when you try to surface too quickly from a deep scuba dive. I don't think the Eagles have ever explained what the song is about have they? Anyway, the rifts and solos and whole instrumental are fantastic!
That's it. The bends.

I vaguely remember having that explained to me by my dad in the car. He also had to explain line by line Blinded By the Light by Manfred Mann. I don't know if the Eagles ever explained it or not and to be honest I've never looked into it. I have assumed it was about drugs.

That's it. The bends.

I vaguely remember having that explained to me by my dad in the car. He also had to explain line by line Blinded By the Light by Manfred Mann. I don't know if the Eagles ever explained it or not and to be honest I've never looked into it. I have assumed it was about drugs.
"It's about drugs" is what was said about every song of the time (including Puff the Magic Dragon) but I doubt that your dad had any insight and can be relied upon to explain it .... that or any other song.

"It's about drugs" is what was said about every song of the time (including Puff the Magic Dragon) but I doubt that your dad had any insight and can be relied upon to explain it .... that or any other song.

Drugs is what I said. Not my dad. He's dead.

Were done. After you have read the novel let me know.

Drugs is what I said. Not my dad. He's dead.

Were done. After you have read the novel let me know.
You have a very serious problem: An inferiority complex and a chip on your shoulder as big as a log. Your reading comprehension isn't too good either. How you managed to see a confrontation in my response to you is a mystery but then that's the way people like you see life - one confrontation after another.

While you're at the PDQ convenience shop be a good boy and get me a cherry coke. Either Original or Zero is OK. Don't dally now.

You have a very serious problem: An inferiority complex and a chip on your shoulder as big as a log. Your reading comprehension isn't too good either. How you managed to see a confrontation in my response to you is a mystery but then that's the way people like you see life - one confrontation after another.

While you're at the PDQ convenience shop be a good boy and get me a cherry coke. Either Original or Zero is OK. Don't dally now.
I'm a female and you are obnoxious. .I'm not dealing with people who are dedicated to misunderstanding me.

I was maybe five when these songs came out. My dad was much closer to the time period and understood the slang better than I would have for a lot of these songs. I'm not claiming he is an authority. Now you can go fuck yourself.

I'm a female and you are obnoxious. .
Yes, you are a female and you have a problem interacting with people.

I'm not dealing with people who are dedicated to misunderstanding me.
It is you who has misunderstood me.
I was maybe five when these songs came out. My dad was much closer to the time period and understood the slang better than I would have for a lot of these songs.
I am 75 and I was in my late 20's when these songs came out so it is logical to assume that I was much closer to the time period and understood the slang better than you.
I'm not claiming he is an authority.
If I were an authority I would not be asking the question in my OP.
Now you can go fuck yourself.
Now we have established that I was correct in saying:

"You have a very serious problem: An inferiority complex and a chip on your shoulder as big as a log. Your reading comprehension isn't too good either. How you managed to see a confrontation in my response to you is a mystery ..."

They performed it live flawlessly when I saw them in Ohio in 78. ( maybe 77 )

Yes, you are a female and you have a problem interacting with people.

It is you who has misunderstood me.

I am 75 and I was in my late 20's when these songs came out so it is logical to assume that I was much closer to the time period and understood the slang better than you.

If I were an authority I would not be asking the question in my OP.

Now we have established that I was correct in saying:

"You have a very serious problem: An inferiority complex and a chip on your shoulder as big as a log. Your reading comprehension isn't too good either. How you managed to see a confrontation in my response to you is a mystery ..."
I'm not doing this with you. I'm just going to block you. We are done.

They performed it live flawlessly when I saw them in Ohio in 78. ( maybe 77 )
I wish that I was there too! :) I seldom think that live shows are as good as the studio recording but have you seen this one?

They end the song in a much, much, MUCH better way in this live show! It leaves me tingling! :woohoo:

It’s a play on words. Nothing more, nothing less.
Obviously, but it doesn't answer the question. Joe Walsh in some interview (I forgot which) said that one of the worse things he ever did in life was to answer that question to a fan by saying, "Jesus in all of these years you haven't figured it out?!" Ouch!

I'm not doing this with you. I'm just going to block you. We are done.
A common expression is, "You learn something new every day." You learned nothing at all on this day unless you give it some thought and do some soul searching before you fall asleep tonight. Maybe the bed bugs will keep you awake long enough to achieve that goal. :)

Forum List

Back