The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is described on Wikipedia as an American period comedy-drama web television series. It is getting all sorts of awards and I began watching it last week with my wife.

The series is about a young married jewish woman ("Mariam/Midge Maisel"), her family and her estranged husband's family in Manhattan in 1959. The husband ("Joel") is a fairly successful office type, who has tried and failed at being a nightclub comedian. As it turns out, shortly after their marriage (2 young kids) implodes, she embarks on the same dream, with occasional bits of success. The story line apparently charts the fits and starts of her career as a comedienne, and how it fits (or doesn't fit) with the rest of her life and its challenges. A main character is a lesbian (of course) would-be talent manager who has Midge as her only client.

Each episode is built around one or more incidents or challenges in the lives of Mrs. & Mr. Maisel, and their respective families. Midge's father is a university math professor and Mr. Maisel's father runs a company that manufactures clothing. Some actual historical characters are featured (e.g., Lenny Bruce), as part of the story lines.

The success of the series comes from the ebullient talent (and beauty) of the title character, fast-paced, witty, and sometimes insightful dialog that is similar to a Henny Youngman monologue, and fabulous period-dress costuming. The entire story is immersed in the middle-class jewish, New York culture of the period.

But I am puzzled and put off by some of the far-fetched story lines that force the viewer to accept preposterous financial propositions and literally unbelievable stupidity on the part of the characters. I'm wondering if this is a new genre of fiction that requires the viewer to forget everything s/he knows about reality - kinda like believing that Superman can fly, see through solid walls, and cook eggs with his magical vision.

For example, Mrs. Maisel's mother is bored with life and decides, on her own, to move to Paris permanently, set up a squalid apartment in an "artsy" district, and live her life as a free and independent woman. How is that again? How is this financed on a professor's salary (there is no hint of family money)? Where does the money come from - all the episodes shown in Paris are of the three of them living the "Life of Riley" in Paris without a care in the world about money.

Many other story lines show the characters pissing away mountains of money (both families) without a care in the world about how it's all financed. Midge's father in law owns TWO mid-town Manhattan opulent three-bedroom apartments, one that they provide free of charge to Midge and her husband, Joel. Later, Joel QUITS HIS JOB, then calls Midge to show her ANOTHER big three-bedroom Manhattan apartment that he intends to rent for her and the kids. Seriously? He just quit his job!

Incredible stupidity. In the second season, Midge volunteers to make the arrangements for the wedding of a coworker - as it turns out - in a meeting room at her Catholic Church, then when given the opportunity at the wedding reception, she takes off on a lewd, gross nightclub routine, including hints that she might have schtupped the pastor to get the use of the room. At a Church wedding? Are you shitting me? NOBODY is that stupid.

I just don't know what to make of this. Is the audience supposed to think this shit is even plausible? Is this a new genre of television - fantasy/comedy/drama?

Here's the thing: Isn't fiction obliged to present characters that are more-or-less realistic, and have them act (assuming the person is not presented as insane) in a way that rational people do?

Even in a situation comedy, once the character is established, that character must say and do things that are consistent with the created personna.

In "Mrs. Maisel" (which is getting all sorts of awards) the characters do things - particularly with respect to money - that NOBODY WOULD EVER DO. It's not a matter of their doing foolish things, which normal people do, but they do things that are the opposite of what a rational person would do.

The main character's mother goes to Oklahoma to ask the family for an increase in the allowance that she gets from the family trust fund. Her husband has just quit both of. his jobs, and they have NO INCOME OTHER THAN THE TRUST. In a fit of pique, she tells the family NOT TO SEND HER ANY MORE MONEY, SHE DOESN'T WANT IT!

Seriously? They live an extravagant upper-middle class life in Manhattan, their only legitimate source of income is pissed away (husband was not fired, he quit), and she spurns the only income they have.

You could fill a short pamphlet with nothing but the things people do on this series that are literally not believable, and yet it appears to be showing "interesting" people going about their lives. She is a young divorcee and she agrees to go on a six month tour that will keep her away from home, and separated from her two young kids, for the whole time? It simply would never happen.

I am almost caught up with the "current" episodes now, but I just don't know what this is. It is a sort of fiction that is new to me.

It's too Jewish.

thumb_no-too-jewish-made-with-mematic-found-a-great-template-47456790.png

I will concede that when showing her comedic "bits" there are times when she is entertaining. Not Lenny Bruce or Eddie Murphy funny, but funny enough to be believable.

The end of Season 3 confirmed the only possible way forward. Had she gone to Europe with "Johnny Mathis," she would have been separated from her children and the rest of her family, which would have made it impossible to support a tenable story line in Season 4, et seq.

Bottom line: there remains a cornucopia of horrid characters, none of whom is worth fifteen seconds of "give a shit" to any discerning viewer. The secondary and tertiary characters (the comedy writers convening at the diner, the maid, the members of Shy's posse, etc). are much more interesting than the two main families and Midge's agent, who should all be taken to the East River and drowned, figuratively speaking. And that includes her 5-year-old son.

This must be a NewYorkShowbiz thing. It is a terrible, unfunny comedy.

Forum List

Back