The majority of the mentally ill are harmless

Rjohnson

Rookie
Oct 28, 2012
President Obama said something during his second debate that offended me. He said that guns should be kept out of the hands of the mentally ill.
That statement suggested that every mentally ill person is capable of violence and that isn't true. I'm mentally ill and I'm not violent. I've never committed a crime. I've never even gotten a jay walking ticket. My mom is also mentally ill and she's not violent either. She's one of the sweetest people alive.
Whether Obama believes it or not, the majority of the mentally ill are not violent. Yes, it's true that some mentally ill people are violent and those who show any signs of violent behavior shouldn't be allowed to own guns.
But Obama didn't say that we should keep guns out of the hands of certain mentally ill people. He said that they should kept out of the hands of all mentally ill people.
There are harmless mentally ill people who own guns. If Obama wins again, they may lose them. If that happens, they will be unable to protect themselves and their families.
Obama tried to gain more votes with his second debate but he lost one. And if other mentally ill people were offended, he may lose more. What Obama doesn't seem to understand is that the mentally ill can vote also.

Attachments

• $u16284468.jpg
    $u16284468.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 145
President Obama said something during his second debate that offended me. He said that guns should be kept out of the hands of the mentally ill.
That statement suggested that every mentally ill person is capable of violence and that isn't true. I'm mentally ill and I'm not violent. I've never committed a crime. I've never even gotten a jay walking ticket. My mom is also mentally ill and she's not violent either. She's one of the sweetest people alive.
Whether Obama believes it or not, the majority of the mentally ill are not violent. Yes, it's true that some mentally ill people are violent and those who show any signs of violent behavior shouldn't be allowed to own guns.
But Obama didn't say that we should keep guns out of the hands of certain mentally ill people. He said that they should kept out of the hands of all mentally ill people.
There are harmless mentally ill people who own guns. If Obama wins again, they may lose them. If that happens, they will be unable to protect themselves and their families.
Obama tried to gain more votes with his second debate but he lost one. And if other mentally ill people were offended, he may lose more. What Obama doesn't seem to understand is that the mentally ill can vote also.

Not to mention Mentally ill is about as vague and broad a criteria as you could get

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn0mgisVhgM]DSM 5: Psychiatry's Deadliest Scam - YouTube[/ame]

The ATF form asks if you have undergone psychiatric treatment and I assume a check in the yes box prevents the mentally ill from (legally) purchasing a weapon. There was a glitch in the system when the Va. Tech shooter purchased weapons. The ATF form relied on a truthful answer because health records were sealed. The insane shooter was able to lie on the ATF form and bought himself an arsenal. They say the glitch has been corrected.

Unless it was recently changed the form ask no such question. Federal law restricts you if you have been committed to mental hospital by proper authority or if you have been adjudged mentally incompetent.

Yeah prevents mentally ill from purchasing any more weapons but does not impound the ones they now have....

Mentally ill people have the potential (greater than others) to cause harm to others or to themselves, and guns should be kept from them.

How do they firgure out whether you are violent or not?

Good point.

Here's a thought...far as I know there is NO LAW that actually prevents anybody with a Dx of mental illness from owning guns.

Do any of you actually KNOW OF any state that has such a law?

obama will use any excuse necessary to attack the second amendment. He hates America as well as our constitution. He thinks big government should control everything about the people, and he is the government, the king, the messiah.

Fuck obama, slimy little kenyan, commie shit bag.

Good point.

Here's a thought...far as I know there is NO LAW that actually prevents anybody with a Dx of mental illness from owning guns.

Federal law prohibits you from purchasing firearms if you have been judged to be mentally incompetent or have been committed to a mental institution by order of a judge.

Of course mentally ill people should be able to own weapons - it is their basic civil right.

In some cases this might mean there are more mass shootings, and incidents like Virginia Tech might happen more often, but this is an issue of rights!

The mentally ill should have the right to kill people just like sane people.

Of course mentally ill people should be able to own weapons - it is their basic civil right.

In some cases this might mean there are more mass shootings, and incidents like Virginia Tech might happen more often, but this is an issue of rights!

The mentally ill should have the right to kill people just like sane people.

You use a vauge and subjective term like mental ill that has no real definition which makes most everything you say after that meaingless

The reality is if we wanted ban gun ownership based on profiling and statistics those that have labled with some kind of so called mental illness would in fact statistically be low on the list compared to many other identifiable groups

The reality is if we wanted ban gun ownership based on profiling and statistics those that have labled with some kind of so called mental illness would in fact statistically be low on the list compared to many other identifiable groups

Would it really?

Because I remember some nutcase shootingup a movie threatre recently, the Virgina Tech killings, and I bet I could find a mile long list of killers who suffered from some kind of mental disorder or another.

I look forward to seeing your proof.

Would it really?

Because I remember some nutcase shootingup a movie threatre recently, the Virgina Tech killings, and I bet I could find a mile long list of killers who suffered from some kind of mental disorder or another.

I look forward to seeing your proof.

especially if you do not define mental disorder

Good point.

Federal law prohibits you from purchasing firearms if you have been judged to be mentally incompetent or have been committed to a mental institution by order of a judge.

From purchasing any ADDITIONAL guns.

And then only from liscenced dealers not from individuals ro gun shows /flea market types of sales.

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back