"The latest mass shooting", a phrase that keeps popping up everywhere these days.

Surprising. Did not know there were 3 events in Tennessee. I opposed constitutional carry here, but a look at the page you referenced (though it is not quite up to date) indexed against constitutional carry states shows several with no mass shootings at all and the constitutional carry states that did have mass shooting were not among the front runners for most incident or most people shot. Maybe this is a hopeful sign. I like to be an optimist when I can.
I will say an amazing number of people shot in these incidents across the country (485) but far far more than the 148 killed. Don't know if that is lack of commitment or lousy training and discipline.
I wonder what these numbers will do in the somertime with many days and nights of oppressive heat/humidity and people really start to think the regular rules just don't apply.
Maine began allowing concealed carry without a license in 2015. Our homicide rate has not risen and remains very low. It doesn't seem to have made any difference here.
Kansas did that in 2015 and the homicide rate has gone up almost 50% since. They are still increasing, but not as fast.

Our suicide rate by gun has jumped, but I don't think that would have anything to do with concealed carry, do you?
Probably covid shut-ins.
No, it started at least a decade ago. We've been higher than the national average since at least 2009. The stats for 2020 aren't even out yet.

P.S. it's drugs and poverty.
I don't think it correlates well to poverty rate. Look at New Hampshire with lowest poverty rate and a suicide rate of 18.9 same as you in Maine or Mississippi with about the highest poverty rate in the country. but suicide rate of 15. Or look at Tennessee with higher poverty rate and higher drug addiction but suicide rate of 16.8, while not impressive still 2 points lower.

Surprising. Did not know there were 3 events in Tennessee. I opposed constitutional carry here, but a look at the page you referenced (though it is not quite up to date) indexed against constitutional carry states shows several with no mass shootings at all and the constitutional carry states that did have mass shooting were not among the front runners for most incident or most people shot. Maybe this is a hopeful sign. I like to be an optimist when I can.
I will say an amazing number of people shot in these incidents across the country (485) but far far more than the 148 killed. Don't know if that is lack of commitment or lousy training and discipline.
I wonder what these numbers will do in the somertime with many days and nights of oppressive heat/humidity and people really start to think the regular rules just don't apply.
Maine began allowing concealed carry without a license in 2015. Our homicide rate has not risen and remains very low. It doesn't seem to have made any difference here.
Kansas did that in 2015 and the homicide rate has gone up almost 50% since. They are still increasing, but not as fast.

Our suicide rate by gun has jumped, but I don't think that would have anything to do with concealed carry, do you?
Probably covid shut-ins.
No, it started at least a decade ago. We've been higher than the national average since at least 2009. The stats for 2020 aren't even out yet.

I don't think it correlates well to poverty rate. Look at New Hampshire with lowest poverty rate and a suicide rate of 18.9 same as you in Maine or Mississippi with about the highest poverty rate in the country. but suicide rate of 15. Or look at Tennessee with higher poverty rate and higher drug addiction but suicide rate of 16.8, while not impressive still 2 points lower.
Okay. You would know. I only live here.
By poverty, I meant large areas with generations of low income, mediocre schools and lack of economic opportunity. It can lead to things.

Probably covid shut-ins.

Okay. You would know. I only live here.
By poverty, I meant large areas with generations of low income, mediocre schools and lack of economic opportunity. It can lead to things.
Look at Mississippi, highest poverty rate in the country and always has been for as long as I can remember, but a suicide rate 3.9 below yours. The joke here is there is nothing wrong with Mississippi, except if you move there, they make you put on a license plate so everybody knows your from Mississippi. Apparently, those dirt poor in Mississippi are just more resilient. I am just giving data. Some people just seem to be more fragile than they used to be. Suicide in general and I believe across the whole country much higher than when you and I were kids.

Almost nobody remembers the name Stephen Paddock although he murdered about 58 people in a shooting spree in Vegas a couple of years ago. It's amazing how Vegas can throw enough money around that even concerned journalists forget their concern. Even the FBI with it's vast experience in politically motivated crimes declined to put a motive on Paddock's rampage that targeted what the media characterized a country music concert as a "Trump rally".

Forum List

Back