"The latest mass shooting", a phrase that keeps popping up everywhere these days.

Major Nidal Hasan was convicted of mass shooting that killed 13 and wounded 30 others about ten years ago and sentenced to death. There is no doubt that he did it and his appeals must be exhausted by now but the Army seems reluctant to strap him to a gurney.

Surprising. Did not know there were 3 events in Tennessee. I opposed constitutional carry here, but a look at the page you referenced (though it is not quite up to date) indexed against constitutional carry states shows several with no mass shootings at all and the constitutional carry states that did have mass shooting were not among the front runners for most incident or most people shot. Maybe this is a hopeful sign. I like to be an optimist when I can.
I will say an amazing number of people shot in these incidents across the country (485) but far far more than the 148 killed. Don't know if that is lack of commitment or lousy training and discipline.
I wonder what these numbers will do in the somertime with many days and nights of oppressive heat/humidity and people really start to think the regular rules just don't apply.
Maine began allowing concealed carry without a license in 2015. Our homicide rate has not risen and remains very low. It doesn't seem to have made any difference here.
Kansas did that in 2015 and the homicide rate has gone up almost 50% since. They are still increasing, but not as fast.

Our suicide rate by gun has jumped, but I don't think that would have anything to do with concealed carry, do you?

Ever think that the phrase "the latest mass shooting" is used because it's actually referring to mass shootings? There have been several in the past month.

Actually, no, there haven't.....Mass Public Shooting is a specific term, used for a specific crime...........gang shootings, and family murder are not mass public shootings.

Anti-gunners lump all shootings together because they know that actual Mass Public shootings are rare....10 in 2019, 1 in 2020.....out of a population of over 320 million people.

So they have to lie and lump the gang banger shooting up a rivals birthday party or funeral in with Mass Public shootings..

Why does this difference matter? Because the solutions to different types of crime are different...

For the majority of shootings in our country, they take place in democrat party controlled cities, committed by known, repeat gun offenders released from jail and prison due to the policies of the democrat party....their catch and release policy for violent gun offenders and their war on police.

To stop these murders....that make up almost all of the 10,235 gun murders in 2019, you need to keep violent criminals locked up. If you release them on bail, or drop the gun charges so they get short prison sentences, they get back out and shoot more people...so that solution is to keep them locked up, and stop plea bargaining away the gun charges....

For actual mass public shooters, you need to make people aware of the danger signs.....and have them contact police and medical professionals to intervene...

See.....different types of crime, different solutions...

And if you call all shootings mass public shootings, you end up not addressing the actual problem....

Surprising. Did not know there were 3 events in Tennessee. I opposed constitutional carry here, but a look at the page you referenced (though it is not quite up to date) indexed against constitutional carry states shows several with no mass shootings at all and the constitutional carry states that did have mass shooting were not among the front runners for most incident or most people shot. Maybe this is a hopeful sign. I like to be an optimist when I can.
I will say an amazing number of people shot in these incidents across the country (485) but far far more than the 148 killed. Don't know if that is lack of commitment or lousy training and discipline.
I wonder what these numbers will do in the somertime with many days and nights of oppressive heat/humidity and people really start to think the regular rules just don't apply.
Maine began allowing concealed carry without a license in 2015. Our homicide rate has not risen and remains very low. It doesn't seem to have made any difference here.
Kansas did that in 2015 and the homicide rate has gone up almost 50% since. They are still increasing, but not as fast.

Our suicide rate by gun has jumped, but I don't think that would have anything to do with concealed carry, do you?

Why would concealed carry have anything to do with suicide? If you are planning on killing yourself, how you get the gun to the place you want to shoot yourself has no bearing on the central point....killing yourself....

Nope......because Japan, China, South Korea have far higher suicide rates, and they only allow criminals, soldiers and cops to have guns......

Fact Check, Gun Control and Suicide

There is no relation between suicide rate and gun ownership rates around the world.

According to the 2016 World Health Statistics report, (2) suicide rates in the four countries cited as having restrictive gun control laws have suicide rates that are comparable to that in the U. S.: Australia, 11.6, Canada, 11.4, France, 15.8, UK, 7.0, and USA 13.7 suicides/100,000. By comparison, Japan has among the highest suicide rates in the world, 23.1/100,000, but gun ownership is extremely rare, 0.6 guns/100 people.
Suicide is a mental health issue. If guns are not available other means are used. Poisoning, in fact, is the most common method of suicide for U. S. females according to the Washington Post (34 % of suicides), and suffocation the second most common method for males (27%).
Secondly, gun ownership rates in France and Canada are not low, as is implied in the Post article. The rate of gun ownership in the U. S. is indeed high at 88.8 guns/100 residents, but gun ownership rates are also among the world’s highest in the other countries cited. Gun ownership rates in these countries are are as follows: Australia, 15, Canada, 30.8, France, 31.2, and UK 6.2 per 100 residents. (3,4) Gun ownership rates in Saudia Arabia are comparable to that in Canada and France, with 37.8 guns per 100 Saudi residents, yet the lowest suicide rate in the world is in Saudia Arabia (0.3 suicides per 100,000).
Third, recent statistics in the state of Florida show that nearly one third of the guns used in suicides are obtained illegally, putting these firearm deaths beyond control through gun laws.(5)
Fourth, the primary factors affecting suicide rates are personal stresses, cultural, economic, religious factors and demographics. According to the WHO statistics, the highest rates of suicide in the world are in the Republic of Korea, with 36.8 suicides per 100,000, but India, Japan, Russia, and Hungary all have rates above 20 per 100,000; roughly twice as high as the U.S. and the four countries that are the basis for the Post’s calculation that gun control would reduce U.S. suicide rates by 20 to 38 percent. Lebanon, Oman, and Iraq all have suicide rates below 1.1 per 100,000 people--less than 1/10 the suicide rate in the U. S., and Afghanistan, Algeria, Jamaica, Haiti, and Egypt have low suicide rates that are below 4 per 100,000 in contrast to 13.7 suicides/100,000 in the U. S.
========

Suicide rates: An overview

Methods of suicide vary by sex and age
Over the past ten years, the most common method of suicide in Canada has been hanging (44%), which includes strangulation and suffocation; followed by poisoning (25%) and firearm use (16%).

Males were most likely to commit suicide by hanging (46%) while females most often died by poisoning (42%) (Chart 2). Males (20%) were far more likely to use firearms than females (3%).

4 victims constitutes a mass shooting? If you say so.

That is part of the actual FBI definition......it used to be 4, but there were so few that met that number obama lowered it to only 3...

But it also has other parts of the definition....it can't be criminal related, and doesn't count family murder....

This is a good collection of information...

US mass shootings, 1982-2021: Data from Mother Jones’ investigation

Dating back to at least 2005, the FBI and leading criminologists essentially defined a mass shooting as a single attack in a public place in which four or more victims were killed. We adopted that baseline for fatalities when we gathered data in 2012 on three decades worth of cases.
-------

• Here is a description of the criteria we use:
    • The perpetrator took the lives of at least four people. A 2008 FBI report identifies an individual as a mass murderer—versus a spree killer or a serial killer—if he kills four or more people in a single incident (not including himself), typically in a single location. (*In 2013, the US government’s fatality baseline was revised down to three; our database reflects this change beginning from Jan. 2013, as detailed above.)
    • The killings were carried out by a lone shooter. (Except in the case of the Columbine massacre and the Westside Middle School killings, which involved two shooters.)
    • The shootings occurred in a public place. (Except in the case of a party on private property in Crandon, Wisconsin, and another in Seattle, where crowds of strangers had gathered, essentially constituting a public crowd.)
    • Crimes primarily related to gang activity or armed robbery are not included, nor are mass killings that took place in private homes (often stemming from domestic violence).

• Perpetrators who died or were wounded during the attack are not included in the victim tallies.
    • We included a handful of cases also known as “spree killings“—cases in which the killings occurred in more than one location, but still over a short period of time, that otherwise fit the above criteria.
  • ----------------------
Our research focused on indiscriminate rampages in public places resulting in four or more victims killed by the attacker. We exclude shootings stemming from more conventionally motivated crimes such as armed robbery or gang violence. (Or in which the perpetrators have not been identified.) Other news outlets and researchers have since published larger tallies that include a wide range of gun crimes in which four or more people have been either wounded or killed. While those larger datasets of multiple-victim shootings are useful for studying the broader problem of gun violence, our investigation provides an in-depth look at a distinct phenomenon—from the firearms used and mental health factors to the growing copycat problem. Tracking mass shootings is complex; we believe ours is the most useful approach for studying this specific phenomenon.

Total murders by mass public shooters...1982-2017

knife murders.....2009-2013.....

2009----1,836
2010----1,933
2011----1,611
2012---1,769
2013---1.956
Rifle murder....

2009---351
2010---367
2011---332
2012---298
2013---285

---------
The actual number of mass shootings from Mother Jones.......tell me Mother Jones is part of the NRA moron.....

Here you go...the number of mass public shootings according to Mother Jones...rabid, anti gun, left wing news source.....not the NRA...

The list below comes from the old definition of 4 killed to make a shooting a mass shooting...if you now go to the link there are more than listed below...but that is because Mother Jones changed the list from the time I first posted it...and changed to obama's new standard of only 3 dead to make a mass shooting...

I have put obama's updated number in parenthesis..........

we will see....

US Mass Shootings, 1982-2015: Data From Mother Jones' Investigation

2018... 12

2017: 11 ( 5 according to the old standard)

2015....4 ( obama's new standard....7)

2014....2 (4)

2002 not listed so more than likely 0

1985... not listed so probably 0

1983...not listed so probably 0

Rental Truck in Nice, France, 86 murdered in 5 minutes...

Total number murdered in mass public shootings by year...

Lawn mower deaths every year.... more than 75

(
https://munews.missouri.edu/news-releases/2007/0419-lawn-mowers.php)

2014..... 9
2013..... 36
2012..... 72
2011..... 19
2002...not listed by mother jones
1985...(none listed)
1983 (none listed)

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf

Cars, Accidental deaths 2013......35,369

Poisons...accidental deaths 2013....38,851

Alcohol...accidental deaths 2013...29,001

gravity....accidental falling deaths 2013...30,208
Accidental drowning.....3,391
Accidental exposure to smoke, fire and flames.....2,760

Did you even look at the link?

The link says the crime stats are for 2014-16.....carry, according to you didn't start until 2015.............so that would be barely a year of carry by that state....

Try harder...

Yeah....you don't know what you are talking about......

Kansas....murder....

Possibly ease of access. Just more of them unsecured.

No.....guns have nothing to do with the suicide rate....just ask the Japanese. They have a higher suicide rate than we do, only criminals and cops can have guns there, so they use tall buildings, trains and household cleaning products to kill themselves.

Just because you are an idiot....I will ask.....

If the person who commits suicide with his gun, secured the gun....how would securing the gun stop himself from using the gun for suicide? Since he would just "unsecure," the gun to commit suicide....

three times as many were stabbed...out law steak knives chairman mao

Ever think that the phrase "the latest mass shooting" is used because it's actually referring to mass shootings? There have been several in the past month.
No surprise, really. As the country is stoked ever more fully in hatred the stresses will continue to set unstable people off. The Dems have a great scam going. Create misery then use the results to try to take away gun rights. Many states are just going to tell the Feds to GF themselves.
i notice the government isnt giving up any of their guns or nukes

guns have nothing to do with the suicide rate
558zll.jpg

Let's all give him a big hand!

The Beijing Biden Stolen Administration's motto:

"Everyday a new shooting"

Oh Joy! :rolleyes:

Probably covid shut-ins.

three times as many were stabbed...out law steak knives chairman mao
Chairman mao? Talk about some people living in that past, jeesh! The point I made was constitutional carry not linked to highest mass shooting states and that there are a lot of people that are really lousy shots, reflecting little or no training. Lack of commitment actually could be part of the reason 4 times as many wounded than killed. You would consider me well trained, but that didn't start in adulthood. Dad trained me to never point a gun at a living thing I didn't intend to kill. A lost of people are just undisciplined.

Probably covid shut-ins.
No, it started at least a decade ago. We've been higher than the national average since at least 2009. The stats for 2020 aren't even out yet.

P.S. it's drugs and poverty.

Forum List

Back