The Japanese women who married the enemy

DudleySmith

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2020
Found this story while looking for other stuff:

Seventy years ago many Japanese people in occupied Tokyo after World War Two saw US troops as the enemy. But tens of thousands of young Japanese women married GIs nonetheless - and then faced a big struggle to find their place in the US.

We had Koran and Japanese neighbors when my dad was stationed at Biggs. Idon't remember the other Army wives discriminating against the Asian wives. They all went to to same club meetings, came over for coffee or meals when their husbands were off somewhere, usually Los Alamos or flying somewhere for schools, etc. I did note the Korean wife didn't seem to like the Japanese woman and I never saw their kids playing with each other, but they were still at the same group meetings and social gatherings. My Dad went into Japan after serving in the Phillipines, so he was used to them. He really liked Fillipinos a lot more, though, and thought they should have free travel to the States and full immigration rights if they wanted to.

Over 50,000 Japanese women married American G.I.s during the post-war occupation. This in spite of the fact that the US Army didn't recognize the marriages and would not relocate Japanese war-brides to the US, grant them citizenship, or even pay G.I.s dependent allowances until 1954.

Over 50,000 Japanese women married American G.I.s during the post-war occupation. This in spite of the fact that the US Army didn't recognize the marriages and would not relocate Japanese war-brides to the US, grant them citizenship, or even pay G.I.s dependent allowances until 1954.

So? GI's marrying foreign women was causing a lot of financial issues for the military and immigration services at the time, with so many of them to deal with. And, it's obvious they were marrying GI's for reasons that didn't involve love, just economics. It wasn't a war crime or some big giant atrocity to exercise restrictions.

And you know that how, exactly?

I could make the same cynical accusation about any marriage.

And, for the record ... the US Army did recognize marriages to European War Brides in similar numbers, even those from Germany.

And you know that how, exactly?

I could make the same cynical accusation about any marriage.
For one the women interviewed for the article say that very thing. For two, it was very common where ever American soldiers were stationed overseas, even in Britain. It's a fact of life, cynical or not.

My mother's brother was married to a Asian woman after the war. They had two daughters...both became doctors. They had kids--my uncle's grand kids--at least two more doctors. Apparently the great grand kids are showing some signs of wanting to go into medicine too. Incredible

So what? Europeans fitted in a lot easier and weren't from such dissimilar cultures.

Yes, I'm sure they didn't stick out at all ...

women-salute-the-nazi-fla-010.jpg

So? GI's marrying foreign women was causing a lot of financial issues for the military and immigration services at the time, with so many of them to deal with. And, it's obvious they were marrying GI's for reasons that didn't involve love, just economics. It wasn't a war crime or some big giant atrocity to exercise restrictions.
Maybe those women were just seeking asylum in the US? Sorta like what is going on in the Southern Border today. Why was Democrat Truman such an asshole?

A lot of American men prefer Oriental broads, and vice versa I'm sure.

Strange era for American GIs to be marrying Jap women. They must have had a bad case of yellow fever.
It actually worked out pretty well, although I'm sure it was a culture shock for a lot of the Jap dames.

This black broad I used to work with had a Jap mum. Must have been quite the adjustment moving from the polite and orderly Empire of Japan into the American Ghetto.

Strange era for American GIs to be marrying Jap women. They must have had a bad case of yellow fever.

In fact, most Japanese of the post-war period found the idea of of Japanese marrying Westerners quite distasteful.

However, the complex and indomitable forces of human attraction will always win-over cultural prejudices...

imrs.php.jpg

Yes, I'm sure they didn't stick out at all ...

View attachment 518704

Let's see, the U.S. took in millions of Jews, but some rich Anglicans wouldn't let them play golf at their private club, so WASPS are evul and shouldn't take care of their own first like everybody else does, especially Jews. That would be racist.

Let us count the number of countries that would let 20 million impoverished Americans flood into their countries if some violent upheaval happened here ....

Oh, right, that number would be zero.

In fact, most Japanese of the post-war period found the idea of of Japanese marrying Westerners quite distasteful.

However, the complex and indomitable forces of human attraction will always win-over cultural prejudices...

View attachment 518720

So we murdered them all. lol your own racism and bigotry is showing, as usual.

Tell us how many Japanese Israel has invited in after WW II, again? How about Africa? India? China? I think Peru is about the only place besides the U.S. that had any substantial Japanese population after the war.Or maybe it was Chile; one of those South American countries on the west coast. They were there before the war, though.

Last edited:
A lot of American men prefer Oriental broads, and vice versa I'm sure.

So? The fact is these women were just using them to get out of Japan and into better economic circumstances, and that's it. No reason to pander to them just because anti-white racists and hypocrites want to snivel and make up big dramas. As we know,the U.S. has more minorities than any other country, and it shows in our murder and crime rates.

Forum List

Back