The internet must become the new watchdog of politics. The news media has failed entirely.

Donald Polish

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2014
Kansas City
The news media was lately considered a watchdog for politics. Now they are nothing but political tools bought and paid for. As far as I am concerned the news media is part of the corruption that plagues the U.S. government. There is little to turn to in order to find political information that isn't trying to convince you that the other side is wrong and they are the bad guys because of it.
It is a sad day when I can find less polluted political information on the internet than from so called news outlets.
221561-load-1312137788-943-640x480.jpg

Well, one of the effects of a free press is that each outlet tends to align itself with or against the current Administration.

Back in the bad old days of the Fairness Doctrine, things were much worse. I'd rather have the partisan hackery we see today than have the government deciding what is fair as we did back then.

If one is armed with critical thinking skills, one can wade through the mountains of manufactured bullshit and oceans of partisan piss and get to the kernels of truth hidden beneath.

Sadly, it seems very few people are armed with enough logic and desire for truth around here.

This is not a new problem. It is a sign that things are working exactly as our Founders intended.

See if this rhymes with the modern free press:
In America there is scarcely a hamlet that has not its newspaper. It may readily be imagined that neither discipline nor unity of action can be established among so many combatants, and each one consequently fights under his own standard. All the political journals of the United States are, indeed, arrayed on the side of the administration or against it; but they attack and defend it in a thousand different ways. They cannot form those great currents of opinion which sweep away the strongest dikes. This division of the influence of the press produces other consequences scarcely less remarkable. The facility with which newspapers can be established produces a multitude of them; but as the competition prevents any considerable profit, persons of much capacity are rarely led to engage in these undertakings. Such is the number of the public prints that even if they were a source of wealth, writers of ability could not be found to direct them all. The journalists of the United States are generally in a very humble position, with a scanty education and a vulgar turn of mind. The will of the majority is the most general of laws, and it establishes certain habits to which everyone must then conform; the aggregate of these common habits is what is called the class spirit (esprit de corps) of each profession; thus there is the class spirit of the bar, of the court, etc. The class spirit of the French journalists consists in a violent but frequently an eloquent and lofty manner of discussing the great interests of the state, and the exceptions to this mode of writing are only occasional. The characteristics of the American journalist consist in an open and coarse appeal to the passions of his readers; he abandons principles to assail the characters of individuals, to track them into private life and disclose all their weaknesses and vices.

Tocqueville Book 1 Chapter 11

I'm totally with you on the watchdog thing. Without a free press acting as watchdog, we are completely fucked.

Well, one of the effects of a free press is that each outlet tends to align itself with or against the current Administration.

Back in the bad old days of the Fairness Doctrine, things were much worse. I'd rather have the partisan hackery we see today than have the government deciding what is fair as we did back then.

If one is armed with critical thinking skills, one can wade through the mountains of manufactured bullshit and oceans of partisan piss and get to the kernels of truth hidden beneath.

Sadly, it seems very few people are armed with enough logic and desire for truth around here.

I remember the bad old days with only 3 networks (and PBS). The thing I remember most about the fairness doctrine was a occasional editorial rebuttal on some political topic during the news.

I agree that you must apply the appropriate bullshit filter depending on which news station is on to get to the kernels.

The internet must become the new watchdog of politics. The news media has failed entirely.

Sorry but we won't even have the internet, because it's going the be controlled by the Government.
FCC Commissioner Ajit Pai Obama s plan a monumental shift toward government control of the Internet 8211 MacDailyNews - Welcome Home

FCC Commissioner Ajit Pai has issued the following statement, verbatim:
STATEMENT OF FCC COMMISSIONER AJIT PAI ON PRESIDENT OBAMA’S PLAN TO REGULATE THE INTERNET

Last night, Chairman Wheeler provided his fellow Commissioners with President Obama’s 332- page plan to regulate the Internet. I am disappointed that the plan will not be released publicly. The FCC should be as open and transparent as the Internet itself and post the entire document on its website. Instead, it looks like the FCC will have to pass the President’s plan before the American people will be able to find out what’s really in it.

I remember the bad old days with only 3 networks (and PBS). The thing I remember most about the fairness doctrine was a occasional editorial rebuttal on some political topic during the news.

"Jane, you ignorant slut!"

:D

Gonna be hard to credit anything you might find on the net IF the "net neutrality" rules AS PRESENTLY PROPOSED are adopted and allowed to stand after a series of court challenges.

Please heed the all-caps above before foaming at the mouth, libbie-chillin'1!

If there is anything more full of lies than politics it is the internet.

Government wants to control the internet and they can't even build a new Health Care Web Site.
You can kiss the Internet good bye.

The Internet is not something that you just dump something on. It's not a big truck. It's a series of tubes.

And if you don't understand, those tubes can be filled. And if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and it's going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material. Enormous amounts of material.

An Internet was sent by my staff at 10 o'clock in the morning on Friday. I got it yesterday. Why?

The Internet is not something that you just dump something on. It's not a big truck. It's a series of tubes.

And if you don't understand, those tubes can be filled. And if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and it's going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material. Enormous amounts of material.

and the world wide web is NOT the internet

The news media was lately considered a watchdog for politics
really?

Have you looked around the internet, I mean REALLY looked?

The internet must become the new watchdog of politics? Nuts!

Actually when this country was founded the media was supposed to be the watchdog over government hence the freedom of the press, however the far left press has shown us that it no longer the case.

really?

Actually when this country was founded the media was supposed to be the watchdog over government ...

not true. they had no delegated role in government. you're suffering delusions

really?

Actually when this country was founded the media was supposed to be the watchdog over government ...

not true. they had no delegated role in government. you're suffering delusions

True! The founding father saw the media as the ones that would hold government accountable. Otherwise there would be NO freedom of the press.

"The Founding Fathers gave the free press the protection it must have to bare the secrets of government and inform the people." - Hugo Black

But yes the far left press has shown us that they will not hold their own accountable and IS a propaganda machine for the far left..

Forum List

Back