The Ink was barely dry

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
I see..... and with the deepest affliction, the rapid strides with which the federal branch of our government is advancing towards the usurpation of all the rights reserved to the States, and the consolidation of itself of all powers, foreign and domestic; and that, too, by constructions which, if legitimate, leave no limits to their power.... It is but too evident that the three ruling branches of [the Federal Government] are in combination to strip their colleagues, the State authorities, of the powers reserved by them, and to exercise themselves all functions foreign and domestic.

Thomas Jefferson, Letter to William Branch Giles [1825]

So, since inception the rule writers have been working to usurp the granted powers- and isn't it ironic that Jefferson was a Liberal, not a conservative

I see..... and with the deepest affliction, the rapid strides with which the federal branch of our government is advancing towards the usurpation of all the rights reserved to the States, and the consolidation of itself of all powers, foreign and domestic; and that, too, by constructions which, if legitimate, leave no limits to their power.... It is but too evident that the three ruling branches of [the Federal Government] are in combination to strip their colleagues, the State authorities, of the powers reserved by them, and to exercise themselves all functions foreign and domestic.

So, since inception the rule writers have been working to usurp the granted powers- and isn't it ironic that Jefferson was a Liberal, not a conservative
Jefferson was a REAL liberal, NOT a liberal by today's standards.

• Banned
Along those lines there is this

“But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain – that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case it is unfit to exist.”
~ Lysander Spooner, No Treason: The Constitution of No Authority

Some things cannot be denied.

That isn't to say I don't support the constitution, as written. As I've said for years it offers a means to hold a gov't force at bay and that's all it does and it barely does that. Most of the restraint shown by the empty suits in the District of Criminals is self imposed as they know a goose can stop laying golden eggs- and they want the gold, eggs and other wise.

Consider this: The constitution is supposed to represent the supreme law of the land yet is ignored with regularity by "law writers", which begs the question; if the rule writers are going to ignore the major rules written for them, then why must we, the stinky tourist, ad here to the rules they write for us?

I remember several years ago hearing a clip from the compassionate conservative, Bush jr, "it's just a god damn piece of paper" = as I keep saying, status quo.

Along those lines there is this

“But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain – that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case it is unfit to exist.”

Some things cannot be denied.

That isn't to say I don't support the constitution, as written. As I've said for years it offers a means to hold a gov't force at bay and that's all it does and it barely does that. Most of the restraint shown by the empty suits in the District of Criminals is self imposed as they know a goose can stop laying golden eggs- and they want the gold, eggs and other wise.

Consider this: The constitution is supposed to represent the supreme law of the land yet is ignored with regularity by "law writers", which begs the question; if the rule writers are going to ignore the major rules written for them, then why must we, the stinky tourist, ad here to the rules they write for us?

I remember several years ago hearing a clip from the compassionate conservative, Bush jr, "it's just a god damn piece of paper" = as I keep saying, status quo.
SpoonerFakeNooz.jpg

• Banned
I bet Jefferson would be absolutely staggered by the lack of intellectual honesty on display in the US

Quotation-Thomas-Jefferson-The-man-who-reads-nothing-at-all-is-better-educated-14-56-88.jpg

Jefferson was an anti-federalist. Ironically, his Louisiana Purchase gave the federal government a huge asset with which to finance its early operations.

It is but too evident that the three ruling branches of [the Federal Government] are in combination to strip their colleagues, the State authorities, of the powers reserved by them, and to exercise themselves all functions foreign and domestic.

This fuels thought Gdjjr

So the FF's ,having licked the worlds most overbearing if not totalitarian governance in their time , were actually worried about history repeating itself

am i close???

~S~

So the FF's ,having licked the worlds most overbearing if not totalitarian governance in their time , were actually worried about history repeating itself
There is another article I posted that doesn't believe the founders were all that benevolent in accepting the constitution-
I understand they did study History and at least allegedly believed a republican form of governance was the best there was available- I can't disagree, but they also believed, well at least Jefferson did, that for it to work virtuous men had to be elected-
We see how well that's worked out-

The other article I posted;

As I perused writings this morning, I saw another article by someone I respect claiming that America is not a democracy, and that if it became a democracy, this “would be a deep betrayal of our founders.” This position is taken from a stance that ignores the existence of fact, and that incorrectly assumes a great difference in what is a democracy as opposed to a republic. The differences are not so far apart as normally thought by those who tend to support this democratic governing system.

The notion that a republic is vastly different than a democracy fails the test of reality, because the end result of both are bound to lead to toatal tyranny, as has obviously happened in this country. Lysander Spooner’s opinion of the Constitution simply and succinctly sums up the false notion that a republic is valid. He stated:

Once Again: The U.S. is not a Democracy? - garydbarnett.com

I think he is a bit harsh but he does present food for thought-

The Core values of liberalism remain the same but the implementation may change over time.

The Core values of liberalism remain the same but the implementation may change over time.

I don't disagree.

Hiwecer, I'm curious.

What are the core values of liberalism?

Can you list some?

I've read through this as best I can.

I am certainly not a theorist in this area.

However, I do believe there are some things that are obvious.

We have codified many things (i.e. social security, welfare, medicare) by acceptance through the SCOTUS that were not intended to be in the USC.

We have bypassed the amendment process and have instead allowed the federal government to much power.

Passage the 17th structurally weakened the USC.

What do we do about it ?

Forum List

Back