The Impromptu Visit - Is it Dead?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
When I was a kid, a regular part of our lives was unannounced visitors - friends and family - who would just show up for a visit, usually on a weekend, but occasionally on a summer evening. We were glad to have them, and a good time was had by all. Sometimes it would even develop into a full meal with our guests - and this was in the days before you could just order pizza.

My family didn't do much of this (we did some) because there were seven of us and we four boys were somewhat destructive of property. But we had visitors regularly and welcomed them.

My wife's Italian family had a lot more of it than mine did, but still basically the same deal. Just show up and expect to be welcomed.

But when we got married, my wife did a complete 180. She would never dream of "dropping in" on someone, and did not welcome others coming to our house. When they did, she was on the borderline of rude, not actually telling the people never to drop in on us, but getting that message across in other ways. To me, she would always complain that "the house is a mess," and when I told her that nobody cares about that my words fell on deaf ears.

Now in our 70's, she occasionally remarks that "Nobody ever stops by." Can't imagine why that is.

How about yinz? Is this or was this a part of your lives?

When I was a kid, a regular part of our lives was unannounced visitors - friends and family - who would just show up for a visit, usually on a weekend, but occasionally on a summer evening. We were glad to have them, and a good time was had by all. Sometimes it would even develop into a full meal with our guests - and this was in the days before you could just order pizza.

My family didn't do much of this (we did some) because there were seven of us and we four boys were somewhat destructive of property. But we had visitors regularly and welcomed them.

My wife's Italian family had a lot more of it than mine did, but still basically the same deal. Just show up and expect to be welcomed.

But when we got married, my wife did a complete 180. She would never dream of "dropping in" on someone, and did not welcome others coming to our house. When they did, she was on the borderline of rude, not actually telling the people never to drop in on us, but getting that message across in other ways. To me, she would always complain that "the house is a mess," and when I told her that nobody cares about that my words fell on deaf ears.

Now in our 70's, she occasionally remarks that "Nobody ever stops by." Can't imagine why that is.

How about yinz? Is this or was this a part of your lives?

I know exactly what you mean....but I always thought that was a southern thing....but even down here now I do not think it is done that much any more....and really it is a shame....I think it made for a inclusive society...sort of like a big family....why it ended I am not sure....people just changed for some reason.

In the rural, small town where we spent time visiting when I was young, there was a steady stream of dropbys. Not in the suburbs where we lived. Friends came after arrangements were made in advance.

Forum List

Back