The Human Antenna?

Robert Urbanek

Platinum Member
Nov 9, 2019
Vacaville, CA
This evening I was watching the Michigan St. vs Michigan game on the ABC broadcast channel on my 32-inch ROKU TV. I was sitting about eight feet away on my sofa. The set is connected to an indoor antenna facing a window about four feet above the TV. Behind me to the right, about four feet away on a small stand, is my WI-FI router.

Sometimes I do not get good reception on ABC but this evening I was getting a good signal. However, as I got up to go to the bathroom, the signal started to break up with those typical blips and jagged lines. When I returned and sat down the strong signal resumed. About 15 minutes later I again left the sofa to refill my pill dispenser on my dining table, which is an additional eight feet from the sofa. Again, the signal began to break up but resumed when I finished my task and returned to the sofa.

Is there something about the physical composition of the human body that helps “ground” a broadcast signal? Or is something else going on?

Dunno about your situation, but here's a fun trick to try if you have a remote car fob for opening your car door locks...........

First, find out how far away you can get to open the car doors with your hand down by your side and hitting the button to open your doors.

Then, go a few feet further back (10 to 15 is sufficient) and notice that your fob doesn't seem to be able to transmit to your car any longer, as it is now out of range. Keep standing in the same place that is out of range, but this time place your fob underneath your chin and hit the button.

You'll find that your fob can now open the car door by placing it under your chin, even though you are supposedly out of range. It's a weird trick, but fun to do.

This evening I was watching the Michigan St. vs Michigan game on the ABC broadcast channel on my 32-inch ROKU TV. I was sitting about eight feet away on my sofa. The set is connected to an indoor antenna facing a window about four feet above the TV. Behind me to the right, about four feet away on a small stand, is my WI-FI router.

Sometimes I do not get good reception on ABC but this evening I was getting a good signal. However, as I got up to go to the bathroom, the signal started to break up with those typical blips and jagged lines. When I returned and sat down the strong signal resumed. About 15 minutes later I again left the sofa to refill my pill dispenser on my dining table, which is an additional eight feet from the sofa. Again, the signal began to break up but resumed when I finished my task and returned to the sofa.

Is there something about the physical composition of the human body that helps “ground” a broadcast signal? Or is something else going on?

Someone still uses an antenna?

Dunno about your situation, but here's a fun trick to try if you have a remote car fob for opening your car door locks...........

First, find out how far away you can get to open the car doors with your hand down by your side and hitting the button to open your doors.

Then, go a few feet further back (10 to 15 is sufficient) and notice that your fob doesn't seem to be able to transmit to your car any longer, as it is now out of range. Keep standing in the same place that is out of range, but this time place your fob underneath your chin and hit the button.

You'll find that your fob can now open the car door by placing it under your chin, even though you are supposedly out of range. It's a weird trick, but fun to do.
If you are holding the fob below your mouth, maybe the metal in your tooth fillings enhances the signal.

Forum List

Back