The hope and change youe expected?

The Hope and the Change: A Review

By Andrew E. Harrod
11/1/12

---

The film begins with images from the 2008 election year, now seemingly so distant: Obama declaring to adoring crowds that "we are the ones we have been waiting for," along with his breathtaking claims that "generations from now" will see his administration as the "moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal." Americans, moreover, will have "restored our image as the last, best hope on Earth." Media commentators subsequently appear in the film discussing, amidst Marilyn Monroe flashbacks, an elected Obama as the "next Kennedy" in a new "Obamalot," with Michelle Obama reprising Jackie Kennedy's flair.

Corresponding to this mood, the 40 profiled voters recall the enthusiasm created by Obama in 2008. They speak of Obama as a "savior" for "desperate" people, a "knight in shining armor," and someone for whom they were "excited to vote." Obama was simply the "hands down" winner of a popularity contest who could "make you happy." His electoral victory left the voters "jumping up and down" with a "great" and "proud" feeling. The voters expressed confidence that, among other things, "gas prices would go down," and there would be "better jobs" and "better income" under Obama. One voter wanted to "get this hope and change thing moving."

Yet one Obama term later, some of these voters express how "we all got fooled" and "made a mistake." Others concur that they have "buyer's remorse" and feelings of wanting to "get your money back." Obama's "god-forsaken phrase" of "hope and change" evokes "bait and switch" trickery. One voter in the film compares Obama to a callous seducer while another calls him a "great con artist."

---

In all, the voters in The Hope and the Change see Obama "in over his head" as president. Despite Obama's Nobel Peace Prize, widely seen as undeserved, one voter worries about America being "less respected" abroad under Obama. Elaborating on this point, the film shows Obama explaining on April 4, 2009, in Strasbourg, France, his not-so-exceptional understanding of American exceptionalism. At home, another voter laments that Americans under Obama "are more divided now than we have ever been." Obama's "class warfare," a "very shocking" evolution on homosexual "marriage," and ObamaCare's inclusion of publicly financed contraception, irrespective of objections from religious entities like the Catholic Church, all "drove people apart."

---

Read more: Articles: The Hope and the Change: A Review

Once the economy collapsed, shortly BEFORE the election, the HOPE became that things wouldn't CHANGE too much.

But of course, things did change and not in very hopeful ways.

But the changes that happened were mostly changes headed in the same direction we'd been headed for the last 40 years --the working classes are getting much poorer while the wealthy are continuing to get much wealthier.

And the economic BANSTERS collapse actually speeded UP that process, too.

Any hope for Change will require a congress that is working collectively to change things and that ain't happening and it won't happen regardless of who wins the White House next Tuedsay, either.

My wife and I are both working class and we have it much better than our parents ever did...

Pretty sure (minus what the dems have done to our economy) there are opportunities abound for those of us who really tried growing up.

I'm thinking that the "working class" you are talking about are really the "not willing to better ourself" class. That is why that whole "raise the minimum wage" thing is a joke. I don't really know why people think that a person working at a convenience store should make as much as a welder. The welder actually learned a trade --- he put forth some EFFORT.

I'm willing to wager that most of us on this message board are actually doing OK as working class stiffs. Even the lefty wack jobs who whine about how well the rich have it and how tough it is on all of us working class folks...

So, tell us, you lefty loons, how much worse you have it than your parents did ---- since it is sooooo much harder on the working class today than it was over the last 40 years....

No doubt you would get "Hope and Change" under a President Romney.

You "HOPE" you end up with at least a little "CHANGE".

Who could possibly be so stupid they would take a guy who has unknown millions invested in China? And who has been widely acclaimed by business to be a "Pioneer of Outsourcing", a guy who has millions invested in moving a company THIS MONTH to China. This month a company he has millions invested in is moving to China. Remember, the people who work at Sensata begged him to at least ask Bain not to destroy their live. But he said NOOOO. He wouldn't even try.

Republicans believe in "magical creation". They believe Obama wasn't born here. They can be "trained" to believe ANYTHING no matter how ridiculous. I have no sympathy for determined ignorance. You guys are sad. Really. it's pitiful. You have to know deep down, what you are supporting. It's impossible not to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I think Romney will do a much better job than Barry.

Hell. My dog could do a much better job than that bozo.

If not for the unpopular stimulus, we would be in a worse depression than the Great Depression. Do you really think McCain would have gotten us out?

The first four years were about not drowning .... as in getting back on our feet.

The Reps held the economy back to get back in office. Do you really want to reward them for that?

None is so blind as those who will not see.

What Obama's accomplished — Blog — Barack Obama

I like to fire people.

I just hope it's the people who voted for him. My feeling is, probably.

and you wanted change?... read this and be the judge

AFTER THREE YEARS OF OBAMA YOU JUDGE

Not at all. I fully expected that the election of a black man would put to rest racism in America; sadly, it has had an opposite effect. It has exposed the ugly side of our country and that has harmed our nation's image in the eyes of he world. I judge people by the content of their character not the color of their skin.

Obama's a good man; he has my vote once again.

Not at all. I fully expected that the election of a black man would put to rest racism in America; sadly, it has had an opposite effect. It has exposed the ugly side of our country and that has harmed our nation's image in the eyes of he world. I judge people by the content of their character not the color of their skin.

Then be prepared for the culture of government dependency to continue and increase. Be prepared for us to go over the tipping point in debt. Be prepared for the USA to weaken in the world in many catagories including defense, dollar value, and influence.

Then be prepared for the culture of government dependency to continue and increase. Be prepared for us to go over the tipping point in debt. Be prepared for the USA to weaken in the world in many catagories including defense, dollar value, and influence.

Nobody wants a welfare state. The health care system needed reform. Leaving it to the states is what we were doing and it was going to hell. As for the debt, we needed the stimulus or debt, to get us out of the econ free fall. Private business couldn't do it at that point. We lost leverage with the 8 trillion debt the Reps burdened us with in tax cuts and Iraq war spending during the booming Bush years. Justification ... Saddam tried to whack his dad. Now the Reps are talking about more tax cuts. Are the voters stupid .... or what?

I didn't expect any hope and change. I didnt vote for this prick!

If not for the unpopular stimulus, we would be in a worse depression than the Great Depression. Do you really think McCain would have gotten us out?

The first four years were about not drowning .... as in getting back on our feet.

The Reps held the economy back to get back in office. Do you really want to reward them for that?

None is so blind as those who will not see.

What Obama's accomplished — Blog — Barack Obama

Proof?

Oh I think Romney will do a much better job than Barry.

Hell. My dog could do a much better job than that bozo.

Are you stupid or psychologically impaired? Likley both, that's sad. I hope you haven't breed.

It figures a gov't stooge like you wouldn't understand the OP. Obama has been a total failure. Every program is a fail. Get used to President Romney, cocksucker.

Forum List

Back