The half forgotten genius

bill718

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2016
Nicolaus Copernicus: 1473 - 1543. With only a few crude mathematical instruments + pen and paper he proved the sun was the center of the solar system and earth revolved around the sun; and did so at a time when it was a pretty dangerous thing to do, considering the Catholic inquisition was running amok at the time. I changed my avatar to honor this half-forgotten genius. :)

Nicolaus Copernicus: 1473 - 1543. With only a few crude mathematical instruments + pen and paper he proved the sun was the center of the solar system and earth revolved around the sun; and did so at a time when it was a pretty dangerous thing to do, considering the Catholic inquisition was running amok at the time. I changed my avatar to honor this half-forgotten genius. :)
The Inquisition lasted from 1180 to 1830 in different forms, Copernicus lived during the Medieval Inquisition which held little sway in northern Europe being more focused in France and Italy. It was not until the early 17th century that Galileo and Johannes Kepler developed and popularized the Copernican theory and Galileo was tried and convicted of heresy because of it. By the late 18th century the Copernican view of the solar system was almost universally accepted.

Forum List

Back