The greatest songwriters and composers.

every axe player on the planet said 'who TF?' when this debuted>>>

the man is just out there....
~S~

Before him there were a few guys that could sell instrumental rock ( there was always jazz - Joe Pass,Al DiMeola, Larry Carlton and all those guys) ...you know - Frank Zappa of course, then Steve Morse and Dixie Dregs...Some bands had 1 or 2 instrumental songs....like Metallica, Iron Maiden in the early 80's of course the whole slew of EVH copycats....

This was new - metal without the vocals.

Last edited:
The following are from the country music field.

James Otto
Steve Sanders of the Oak Ridge Boys (deceased)
Billy Joe Royal (deceased)
Mark Miller of the band named Sawyer Brown
Greg "Hobie" Hubbard of the band named Sawyer Brown
Trace Adkins
Darryl Worley
Toby Keith
Brad Paisley
Kenny Chesney

God bless you and my favorites who are still here always!!!

Holly

Not a single mention of perhaps the most prolific song writing teams of all time; Mick Jagger and Keith Richards aka The Glimmer Twins.

The Beatles usually come to mind first when it comes to popular music. Steely Dan has a lot of great songs. Carole King. Bob Dylan. Elton John of course. It's been awhile since he could hit those high notes with his voice, but so many great songs....

I'm sure you don't mind me bumping this old thread right? It's not a political one. It's a fun one so I'm sure you will like me reviving your thread.

Howard Stern had singers on to sing songs of people who died this year. Adam Lavine, Charlie Puth Dave Matthews and Maren Morris sang. Adam did Nothing Compares by Sinéad O'Connor. Charlie Puth did Bert Bacharach Close to You. Boy did he do a good job. I always thought that song was cheesy because of the way Bert sang it. Or Karen Carpenter. Charlie killed it.

Maren Morris did Christine McVie Fleetwood Mac

Maroon 5. They have a million good songs. Great song writers.

I'm sure a lot of people would say Dave Matthews band. Lots of good songs.

This is a gift that these people give us. Howard Stern is right. How the hell do you write a hit song. It's so hard. But for a lot of these musicians they pump out hit after hit. So many musicians with even for 1 hit. Or at least enough hits that 10 years after they go out of style they can come back and do a retro tour for their fans who are now in their 30s and 40's. LOL. Hell, even three good songs is enough. Then you are the opening band for the Backstreet Boys. 1 song just isn't enough.

Dave Peverett
Hank Williams
Steve Harris
Ray Davies
Pete Townsend

I never even heard of 3 of those guys. Do you remember on NPR A Prairie Home Companion?

They had a lot of great singers/songwriters on who I never heard of.

A Prairie Home Companion was a weekly radio variety show known for its musical guests, especially folk and traditional musicians, tongue-in-cheek radio drama, and relaxed humor. Keillor's wry storytelling segment, "News from Lake Wobegon," was the show's best-known feature during his long tenure.

I wonder how much folk groups make. But at least they're doing what they love. Pete Seeger is one of the top he's worth $5 mill. That's the top. I wonder how much most folk bands make. Hopefully they make a lot at concerts. If Ticket Master isn't gouging them at the ticket gates.

Not a single mention of perhaps the most prolific song writing teams of all time; Mick Jagger and Keith Richards aka The Glimmer Twins.
I loved finding out Keith Richards doesn't play with the 6th string. I've had it break and he's right. It's not necessary. Not for how he plays. He was on Howard Stern. Pretty cool guy. Not as brain dead as people think.

Did anyone mention Hall and Oats?

Howard Stern was talking about how it's crazy two guys capture lighting in a bottle and they can't get along. Paul Simon was explaining why he left Art Garfunkle.

I never even heard of 3 of those guys. Do you remember on NPR A Prairie Home Companion?

They had a lot of great singers/songwriters on who I never heard of.

A Prairie Home Companion was a weekly radio variety show known for its musical guests, especially folk and traditional musicians, tongue-in-cheek radio drama, and relaxed humor. Keillor's wry storytelling segment, "News from Lake Wobegon," was the show's best-known feature during his long tenure.

I wonder how much folk groups make. But at least they're doing what they love. Pete Seeger is one of the top he's worth $5 mill. That's the top. I wonder how much most folk bands make. Hopefully they make a lot at concerts. If Ticket Master isn't gouging them at the ticket gates.
which 3?....

A lot of great songwriters listed. Ones I liked that I don't think anyone listed yet.

Bob Gaudio - Besides writing hits for the band The Four Seasons he also wrote hits for many artists

Dianne Warren - Wrote hits for Aerosmith, Celine Dione, Cher, DeBarge, and a very long lengthy list tons of other artists

David Foster - Wrote and Co-Wrote Songs for Earth Wind Fire, The Tubes, John Parr, Chicago, Boz Scaggs, and many more artists

Robert "John" Mutt Lange- Producer for many bands like AC/DC and wrote, co-wrote songs for many bands/singers such as Def Leopard, Bryan Adams, Nickelback and many others.

Desmond Child - Wrote/-Cowrote songs for Kiss, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Micheal Bolton and many others

Rivers Cuomo - Songwriter for the Band Weezer. I love a lot of his songs he wrote, I think he is a very underrated songwriter.

Niel Diamond - Songwriter for so many singers/ bands

Last edited:

Forum List

Back