The Great Toilet Paper Shortage of 1973

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
In 1973 while the gas shortage was occurring, Johnny Carson made a joke about a toilet paper shortage.

Shelves emptied. Johnny had to say he was just joking on a later show to try to stop the panic buying.

In 1973 while the gas shortage was occurring, Johnny Carson made a joke about a toilet paper shortage.

Shelves emptied. Johnny had to say he was just joking on a later show to try to stop the panic buying.

Johnny was ahead of his time unfortunately.

I didn't go overboard, but judging by what I have seen in grocery stores and even dollar stores, I'm glad we have enough to last for a little while. I could have picked up a few more rolls at the time, but I didn't want to go crazy. Being part of the herd isn't my M.O.

I didn't go overboard, but judging by what I have seen in grocery stores and even dollar stores, I'm glad we have enough to last for a little while. I could have picked up a few more rolls at the time, but I didn't want to go crazy. Being part of the herd isn't my M.O.

The problem is that some people's irrational panic led to legitimate panic by others. Reasonable people had reason to be concerned. This is one part of this whole crisis we'll look back at, and laugh about.

All along the same lines as the War Of The Worlds broadcast that Orson Wells pulled off on the radio in 1930 something. People are basically stupid herding beasts with very little control over their emotions. In the end there is very little evidence of the supreme beings we like to think we are. We never seem to be able to learn to improve no matter how many lessons we have and here we are yet again doing it all over yet again. The Salem Witch Trials and the Inquisition were all the same damn thing.

The problem is that some people's irrational panic led to legitimate panic by others. Reasonable people had reason to be concerned. This is one part of this whole crisis we'll look back at, and laugh about.

I laughed at first at the stores, even in the faces of people. Now I can't laugh in the grocery stores as we've had some grocery employees in Canada die from this virus so I know many of them working there are afraid.

I did take the time to thank them at to different stores I have been to. I told them that they were on the front lines as well, this was before we had any deaths at grocery stores.

About the TP, I quickly surmised the same. Since others were buying so much, it essentially forced others to do the same for fear of being left out. I have more TP in my house than I've probably ever had and it's not really an excessive amount. I had no choice, but to prepare and I could have had 5x what I have now but I wanted to be respectful of others and I want to maintain control of my existence and my sanity.

When they wiped out the stores in South Korea and italy that was your cue to go to the store and top off on shit ya may need

Forum List

Back