The great Joseph Lowery

For those of us who are black, we know there are more leaders in our community than Jackson and Sharpton. Limbaugh made them the only leaders to white conservatives, but Limbaugh is a fat slob who dropped out of college because he was a dumb ass.

Rev. Joseph E. Lowery, Civil Rights Leader and King Aide, Dies at 98
Mr. Lowery helped found the Southern Christian Leadership Conference and gave the benediction at President Barack Obama’s inauguration.

The Rev. Joseph E. Lowery, second from left, helped lead a civil rights and antiwar march in Atlanta in 1970. Also present was Coretta Scott King, fourth from left.

The Rev. Joseph E. Lowery, second from left, helped lead a civil rights and antiwar march in Atlanta in 1970. Also present was Coretta Scott King, fourth from left.

The Rev. Joseph E. Lowery, a lieutenant to the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. who helped organize a pivotal moment in the civil rights movement — the bus boycott in Montgomery, Ala. — and who gave the benediction at President Barack Obama’s inauguration more than half a century later, died on Friday at his home in Atlanta. He was 98.

The Martin Luther King Jr. Center for Nonviolent Social Change announced his death on Twitter.

Even before Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a Montgomery bus on Dec. 1, 1955, Mr. Lowery had successfully campaigned to integrate buses in Mobile, Ala., where he was a young Methodist minister. After Ms. Parks’s action, he huddled with Dr. King and other Alabama ministers to oversee a 381-day boycott of Montgomery’s segregated buses.

In November 1956, the Supreme Court ended racial segregation on buses in Montgomery and, by extension, everywhere else.

Mr. Lowery was at Dr. King’s side almost until the day of his assassination in April 1968. At Dr. King’s request, he presented the demands of voting-rights marchers from Selma, Ala., to Gov. George C. Wallace in 1965. Mr. Lowery also helped found the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, Dr. King’s signature organization, and led it for 20 years, from 1977 to 1997.

When Dr. King gathered with his top aides days before his death, it was Mr. Lowery who ended the meeting by saying, “The Holy Spirit is in this room.”

Mr. Lowery marched in countless demonstrations, was repeatedly arrested and was once shot at by the Ku Klux Klan. As head of the S.C.L.C., he promoted economic empowerment for black Americans, saying they must control the cash registers of the lunch counters they integrated. He became known as the dean of the civil rights movement.

Never heard of him.

Probably because no one would post abou
Sharing a personal experience of my own, is not a personal attack upon a fragile, effeminate little snowflake like you, nor is it a "woe is me" statement.
Interesting. How am I "effeminate"?
When insults take the place of rational discussion it's a sure sign you have lost the game.
I would love to know how you draw your conclusions like this.

I haven't called your reminisces a personal attack upon myself so maybe you are thinking of the other guy.
And you are intentionally misstating my claims so again you show yourself to be something of a loser.
Your little persecution complex is not about what you've said per se but how you react when people
take you up on your claims. Grow up, sonny.

YOU took it that way, for reasons that only you know.

I am not unique for bringing up such an experience.

People here do it frequently.

But.....it is telling that you reacted to it as you did, by becoming defensive.
If I was "defensive" you haven't demonstrated that at all.

You referred to me as "queenie", yet are bothered by me referring to you as "effeminate"?

I think before you issue insults, you should learn how to take them as opposed to crying foul when you get back what you put out there.
Yeah, "queenie". As in "drama queen"? Every heard that expression before? I don't think a gay slur is remotely like calling someone overly dramatic but maybe you do.

At any rate since my comment didn't imply you were queer or gay I'm not going to accept your
rationalizing of your insult of me.
Should I go back now and hunt for earlier insults you threw at me, or others? That depends on you though throughout your comments have been belittling and derogatory if not outright insulting.

I have no persecution complex, nor do I live in the past.

But my "claims" are not just claims. They are related to real life experiences, that you likely would committ suicide or overdose on opioids over.
I reject your ridiculous long distance guesswork analysis, doctor. Since you know nothing about me all I can do is politely invite you to f-ck off!

Before you order a complete stranger to "grow up", grow up yourself, little guy.
Oh! Is that I what I did! I 'ordered" you to grow up? That alone tells us which one is the adult here and which one is masquerading as a grown up.

Yes indeed, it does tell "who the adult is here".

Research this thread and take note of who made the first statement towards whom.

That would be you. I did not care to comment on ANYTHING that you posted until YOU directed your trivial, juvenile nonsense towards me, yet want to claim that you were engaging in "rational conversation"?.....LMAO!

But.....there is a solution to your source of irritation.

Either use your ignore feature, or if you happen to possess even a shred of self control , ignore what I post, and that will go a long way towards minimizing your butthurt.

Understand?

Now, you can GFY. You know nothing about me either.
Cry me a river! Your belittling and disparaging comments towards me began in post #43.
You can't exactly call them insults per se but the tenor from you was contentious, hostile and aggressive.
Before I drop you like a sack of nuclear wastes I just want to make it clear you fool no one.

And your out of the blue question to me about the average black man was answered in good faith by me but totally ignored by you, despite your claim you would reply.

Well save the reply, not that one is forthcoming anyway. You and your racist tag team buddy can both
go to hell.
Talking about the efforts and life of Rev. Lowery is not racist. Nor is detailing the racism of whites in America. You entered this thread calling yourself denigrating the life of a great man, a man who unlike you, spent his life trying to make this country a better place for everyone, not just for whites. You distorted his call for black self reliance through community and economic development as racism., That's how ignorant you ass is. You slinked in here trying to find a way to call somebody black a racist to absolve yourself of your own personal racism boy, and you got your ass taken to the woodshed for doing it.

Good point. But it has been proven time after time that even the most innocuous post in this forum that speaks to what a black person did in the past to create a better future for other black citizens will always be taken by some fragile, insecure individual here as being "harsh, living in the past, or a personal attack on white people living in the present day".

LMAO!
So true.

True and ridiculous. BTW, who is that in your new avatar? Looks like Larry Holmes versus Gerry Cooney?
That's it. I will only have this up for a few days. There is a reason for this.

I was at that fight. A former AAU teammate who became a pro trainer for Evander Holyfield got me tickets.

Lots of hype leading up to it. Holmes was on a roll and on pace to break Marciano's record for consecutive wins, and there were actually some who believed Cooney would win.

Are you aware that Holmes got death threats leading up to the fight?
Same thing that Jack Johnson dealt with way back in the early 1900"s after he beat Jim Jeffries.

I remember that fight well. I am not surprised Holmes got those threats. You know how those days were. Whites were looking for any athlete anywhere they could call the best. And that racism destroyed Cooney by putting him in the ring with one of the all time greats when he had little professional experience. Holmes fought with a huge chip on his shoulder as you remember because he felt he was getting no respect, which actually was true. He was the wrong man to try getting some hope against.

The sad irony in it is that Cooney was used to an extent, and put in with Holmes, who was way out of his league, and was never the same after the fight. The good thing is that they became friends years later.

Holmes would have broken Marcianos record and retired undefeated if he had not been robbed in the Spinks fight. Still he is definitely one of the best heavyweights ever.

Yes the racists ruined Cooney trying to create a white champion. Holmes did get robbed against Spinks and never should have fought Tyson. He is no doubt one of the top 3 heavyweights of all time.

Ali, Frazier and Holmes. That's my opinion.

Good list. I saw all of them fight live in their prime, and would also add Foreman, based on his performances before he came back years later. Holmes didn't need the money when he fought Tyson, and Don King screwed him over when it was time to pay.

Foreman and the great Joe Louis. No doubt.

Louis was champion for 12 years and defended the title 25 times. Those are incredible numbers, and he also had the burden of following Jack Johnson as the next black heavyweight champion in a society that despised the black population even more then, than now.

Yes, Joe Louis was more than just a boxer. He represent blacks and made us proud. That's what my parents and grandparents told me about him. He can't be left out in aby conversation of greatness.

IM2, give me an example of the discrimination you had to endure today. What inequality did you experience today.
No. And lets stop demanding blacks supply you with examples when we see that racism still exists.

Normal lefty demand. Just accept our conclusion as a premise, and then we can have a civil discussion.

And by civil discussion, they mean, "I will be insulting you with the most vile insults every sentence and if you respond in kind, I will pretend you are the problem".

For those of us who are black, we know there are more leaders in our community than Jackson and Sharpton. Limbaugh made them the only leaders to white conservatives, but Limbaugh is a fat slob who dropped out of college because he was a dumb ass.

Mr. Lowery helped found the Southern Christian Leadership Conference and gave the benediction at President Barack Obama’s inauguration.

The Rev. Joseph E. Lowery, a lieutenant to the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. who helped organize a pivotal moment in the civil rights movement — the bus boycott in Montgomery, Ala. — and who gave the benediction at President Barack Obama’s inauguration more than half a century later, died on Friday at his home in Atlanta. He was 98.

The Martin Luther King Jr. Center for Nonviolent Social Change announced his death on Twitter.

Even before Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a Montgomery bus on Dec. 1, 1955, Mr. Lowery had successfully campaigned to integrate buses in Mobile, Ala., where he was a young Methodist minister. After Ms. Parks’s action, he huddled with Dr. King and other Alabama ministers to oversee a 381-day boycott of Montgomery’s segregated buses.

In November 1956, the Supreme Court ended racial segregation on buses in Montgomery and, by extension, everywhere else.

Mr. Lowery was at Dr. King’s side almost until the day of his assassination in April 1968. At Dr. King’s request, he presented the demands of voting-rights marchers from Selma, Ala., to Gov. George C. Wallace in 1965. Mr. Lowery also helped found the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, Dr. King’s signature organization, and led it for 20 years, from 1977 to 1997.

When Dr. King gathered with his top aides days before his death, it was Mr. Lowery who ended the meeting by saying, “The Holy Spirit is in this room.”

Mr. Lowery marched in countless demonstrations, was repeatedly arrested and was once shot at by the Ku Klux Klan. As head of the S.C.L.C., he promoted economic empowerment for black Americans, saying they must control the cash registers of the lunch counters they integrated. He became known as the dean of the civil rights movement.

Never heard of him.

Sharing a personal experience of my own, is not a personal attack upon a fragile, effeminate little snowflake like you, nor is it a "woe is me" statement.
When insults take the place of rational discussion it's a sure sign you have lost the game.

I haven't called your reminisces a personal attack upon myself so maybe you are thinking of the other guy.
And you are intentionally misstating my claims so again you show yourself to be something of a loser.
Your little persecution complex is not about what you've said per se but how you react when people

You referred to me as "queenie", yet are bothered by me referring to you as "effeminate"?

I think before you issue insults, you should learn how to take them as opposed to crying foul when you get back what you put out there.
Yeah, "queenie". As in "drama queen"? Every heard that expression before? I don't think a gay slur is remotely like calling someone overly dramatic but maybe you do.

At any rate since my comment didn't imply you were queer or gay I'm not going to accept your
Should I go back now and hunt for earlier insults you threw at me, or others? That depends on you though throughout your comments have been belittling and derogatory if not outright insulting.

But my "claims" are not just claims. They are related to real life experiences, that you likely would committ suicide or overdose on opioids over.
I reject your ridiculous long distance guesswork analysis, doctor. Since you know nothing about me all I can do is politely invite you to f-ck off!

Before you order a complete stranger to "grow up", grow up yourself, little guy.
Oh! Is that I what I did! I 'ordered" you to grow up? That alone tells us which one is the adult here and which one is masquerading as a grown up.

Research this thread and take note of who made the first statement towards whom.

That would be you. I did not care to comment on ANYTHING that you posted until YOU directed your trivial, juvenile nonsense towards me, yet want to claim that you were engaging in "rational conversation"?.....LMAO!

Either use your ignore feature, or if you happen to possess even a shred of self control , ignore what I post, and that will go a long way towards minimizing your butthurt.

Understand?

Cry me a river! Your belittling and disparaging comments towards me began in post #43.
You can't exactly call them insults per se but the tenor from you was contentious, hostile and aggressive.
Before I drop you like a sack of nuclear wastes I just want to make it clear you fool no one.

And your out of the blue question to me about the average black man was answered in good faith by me but totally ignored by you, despite your claim you would reply.

Well save the reply, not that one is forthcoming anyway. You and your racist tag team buddy can both
go to hell.
Talking about the efforts and life of Rev. Lowery is not racist. Nor is detailing the racism of whites in America. You entered this thread calling yourself denigrating the life of a great man, a man who unlike you, spent his life trying to make this country a better place for everyone, not just for whites. You distorted his call for black self reliance through community and economic development as racism., That's how ignorant you ass is. You slinked in here trying to find a way to call somebody black a racist to absolve yourself of your own personal racism boy, and you got your ass taken to the woodshed for doing it.

Good point. But it has been proven time after time that even the most innocuous post in this forum that speaks to what a black person did in the past to create a better future for other black citizens will always be taken by some fragile, insecure individual here as being "harsh, living in the past, or a personal attack on white people living in the present day".

LMAO!
So true.

True and ridiculous. BTW, who is that in your new avatar? Looks like Larry Holmes versus Gerry Cooney?

I was at that fight. A former AAU teammate who became a pro trainer for Evander Holyfield got me tickets.

Lots of hype leading up to it. Holmes was on a roll and on pace to break Marciano's record for consecutive wins, and there were actually some who believed Cooney would win.

Same thing that Jack Johnson dealt with way back in the early 1900"s after he beat Jim Jeffries.

I remember that fight well. I am not surprised Holmes got those threats. You know how those days were. Whites were looking for any athlete anywhere they could call the best. And that racism destroyed Cooney by putting him in the ring with one of the all time greats when he had little professional experience. Holmes fought with a huge chip on his shoulder as you remember because he felt he was getting no respect, which actually was true. He was the wrong man to try getting some hope against.

The sad irony in it is that Cooney was used to an extent, and put in with Holmes, who was way out of his league, and was never the same after the fight. The good thing is that they became friends years later.

Holmes would have broken Marcianos record and retired undefeated if he had not been robbed in the Spinks fight. Still he is definitely one of the best heavyweights ever.

Yes the racists ruined Cooney trying to create a white champion. Holmes did get robbed against Spinks and never should have fought Tyson. He is no doubt one of the top 3 heavyweights of all time.

Good list. I saw all of them fight live in their prime, and would also add Foreman, based on his performances before he came back years later. Holmes didn't need the money when he fought Tyson, and Don King screwed him over when it was time to pay.

Louis was champion for 12 years and defended the title 25 times. Those are incredible numbers, and he also had the burden of following Jack Johnson as the next black heavyweight champion in a society that despised the black population even more then, than now.

Yes, Joe Louis was more than just a boxer. He represent blacks and made us proud. That's what my parents and grandparents told me about him. He can't be left out in aby conversation of greatness.

My grandpa on my dads side owned an auto repair shop in Detroit, and he knew Joe's mother. Joe carried a huge burden that actually tortured him personslly because as he gained recognition, there were more restrictions placed on him about not being "flamboyant" and not doing anything publically that would "offend white people". Including not openly showing any emotion when he beat a white opponent.

If you look at any publicity photos of him, he always had a deadpan expression, because he was told to.

I met Joe as a kid, back in 1967, when my dad took me to see Ali fight Cleveland Williams in Houston. He was there with Sugar Ray Robinson.
He was very quiet, and when he did speak it was difficult to understand what he was saying, but Sugar Ray was funny and talkative.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: IM2

Never heard of him.

Understand?

go to hell.

LMAO!
So true.

My grandpa on my dads side owned an auto repair shop in Detroit, and he knew Joe's mother. Joe carried a huge burden that actually tortured him personslly because as he gained recognition, there were more restrictions placed on him about not being "flamboyant" and not doing anything publically that would "offend white people". Including not openly showing any emotion when he beat a white opponent.

If you look at any publicity photos of him, he always had a deadpan expression, because he was told to.

I met Joe as a kid, back in 1967, when my dad took me to see Ali fight Cleveland Williams in Houston. He was there with Sugar Ray Robinson.
He was very quiet, and when he did speak it was difficult to understand what he was saying, but Sugar Ray was funny and talkative.
Joe did what he could. He would have been killed had he been flamboyant, or stripped of the title somehow.

Never heard of him.

Understand?

go to hell.

LMAO!
So true.

Joe did what he could. He would have been killed had he been flamboyant, or stripped of the title somehow.
Yes he did do his best.

White America was still enraged at Jack Johnson when Joe came along, and they were just waiting for him to "not know his place".

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

Never heard of him.

Understand?

go to hell.

LMAO!
So true.

Yes he did do his best.

White America was still enraged at Jack Johnson when Joe came along, and they were just waiting for him to "not know his place".

True. His fists spoke loud enough.

Forum List

Back