The GOP Is Falling Apart

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
when even Peggy Noonan makes it clear she's had it, it's over. She has implied her loss of faith in GW for awhile now, Jan. 2005 does sound about right:

http://opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/?id=110010148

One of the things I have come to think the past few years is that the Bushes, father and son, though different in many ways, are great wasters of political inheritance. They throw it away as if they'd earned it and could do with it what they liked. Bush senior inherited a vibrant country and a party at peace with itself. He won the leadership of a party that had finally, at great cost, by 1980, fought itself through to unity and come together on shared principles. Mr. Bush won in 1988 by saying he would govern as Reagan had. Yet he did not understand he'd been elected to Reagan's third term. He thought he'd been elected because they liked him. And so he raised taxes, sundered a hard-won coalition, and found himself shocked to lose his party the presidency, and for eight long and consequential years. He had many virtues, but he wasted his inheritance.

Bush the younger came forward, presented himself as a conservative, garnered all the frustrated hopes of his party, turned them into victory, and not nine months later was handed a historical trauma that left his country rallied around him, lifting him, and his party bonded to him. He was disciplined and often daring, but in time he sundered the party that rallied to him, and broke his coalition into pieces. He threw away his inheritance. I do not understand such squandering.

Now conservatives and Republicans are going to have to win back their party. They are going to have to break from those who have already broken from them. This will require courage, serious thinking and an ability to do what psychologists used to call letting go. This will be painful, but it's time. It's more than time.

no. its not really. GOP is more united than ever. Problem is our representatives arent paying attention. That's there problem not ours.

The only problem is that you seem to be unable to realise Reagan was the same thing as theses guys.

Tax cuts do not fix the problem of our deficit by themselfs.

Do you really think that Bush 41 was the whole reason this philosophy failed because he was talked into a little fiscal responsiblity?

The facts are obvious to anyone who wants to see them ,Dems are the more fiscal party.

no. its not really. GOP is more united than ever. Problem is our representatives arent paying attention. That's there problem not ours.

Actually they are not listening, it's time to find some that will.

They are sent there to represent us and when they stop doing that they need to be heaved off the ship.

Peggy Noonan has always been a very smart and perceptive gal who could turn a phrase with the best of them... this little piece is no exception.

and avatar....I wonder how a party that is so united as you claim the GOP is, could have nominated the slate they did in '06? How do you explain the thumping you took at the hands of a broad based slate of mostly moderate democrats?

Actually they are not listening, it's time to find some that will.

listen to who...YOU?

100 million or so average everyday Americans?

come on Kathianne, wake up. If you don't sit on the board of a multi-national corporation, or carry a card of a national lobbying group like AIPAC for example, you have no voice to Congress.

I think that has been made abundantly clear since the Dem's took power in Jan. More than 70% of the people in this country want us to leave Iraq, and that's why Americans voted DEM in November, but congress gives Bush more money.

A definite majority of Americans want Bush and Cheney impeached, but impeachment remains "off the table".

Things will never get any better in this country if the people continue to argue left/right, dem/repub, lib/con.

That's exactly how they want it.

When our elected representatives stop listening, that's a big problem.

Exactly. More of the same:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070601/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_immigration

Bush pressing hard on immigration bill

By JULIE HIRSCHFELD DAVIS, Associated Press Writer2 hours, 1 minute ago

President Bush challenged lawmakers on Friday to pass an immigration bill that would legalize millions of unlawful immigrants despite the harsh criticism they're hearing from voters and interest groups on both sides of the issue.

It was Bush's second personal plea in a week for support on the initiative — one of his top domestic priorities — part of a multi-front effort by his administration to bolster lawmakers in both parties as the Senate resumes a searing debate on immigration.

"No matter how difficult it may seem for some politically, I strongly believe it's in this nation's interest for people here in Washington to show courage and resolve and pass a comprehensive immigration reform," Bush told a group of activists, lobbyists and analysts who have pushed for an overhaul.

Lawmakers, at home during a weeklong recess, are hearing from conservatives who decry the measure as overly lenient and from liberals who are clamoring for its passage even as they complain it is filled with problems.

And yet we have an incumbency rate that's one of the highest in the world.

They don't listen, they don't care, and they keep getting re-elected.

and that sir, is the people's fault.

and that sir, is the people's fault.

Oversimplification...How did 'the people' go from being an active, engaged, informed electorate, to a mob of whining, apathetic, know nothing slackers more interested in the outcome of "<i>American Idol</i>" than the political process which their very freedom demands?

listen to who...YOU?

100 million or so average everyday Americans?

come on Kathianne, wake up. If you don't sit on the board of a multi-national corporation, or carry a card of a national lobbying group like AIPAC for example, you have no voice to Congress.

I think that has been made abundantly clear since the Dem's took power in Jan. More than 70% of the people in this country want us to leave Iraq, and that's why Americans voted DEM in November, but congress gives Bush more money.

A definite majority of Americans want Bush and Cheney impeached, but impeachment remains "off the table".

Things will never get any better in this country if the people continue to argue left/right, dem/repub, lib/con.

That's exactly how they want it.

I hope the Dems try to impeach - please do it

The approval numbers for the Dem Congress would frop into single digits

Oversimplification...How did 'the people' go from being an active, engaged, informed electorate, to a mob of whining, apathetic, no nothing slackers more interested in the outcome of "<i>American Idol</i>" than the political process which their very freedom demands?

What did cause the Democrat party to turn into a buch of sceaming babies engaged in a non stop temper tantrum?

Al Bore losing in 2000 was the beginning

Oversimplification...How did 'the people' go from being an active, engaged, informed electorate, to a mob of whining, apathetic, no nothing slackers more interested in the outcome of "<i>American Idol</i>" than the political process which their very freedom demands?

It seems to have begun with WWI and accelerated with the advent of television.

Here is one reason

Attachments

• $At the Arch.jpg
    $At the Arch.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 131

Forum List

Back