The GOP and Reagan

The Republicans' Reagan Amnesia - Page 1 - The Daily Beast

They want the Republican Party to return to the "Reagan Days"

From your link:

And what were those principles, exactly? No. 1—according to the resolution—was “smaller government, smaller national debt, lower deficits and lower taxes.” Let’s take those from the top. Smaller government: Federal employment grew by 61,000 during Reagan’s presidency—in part because Reagan created a whole new cabinet department, the department of veterans affairs. (Under Bill Clinton, by contrast, federal employment dropped by 373,000). Smaller deficits and debt: Both nearly tripled on Reagan’s watch. Lower taxes: Although Reagan muscled through a major tax cut in 1981, he followed up by raising taxes in 1982, 1983, 1984 and 1986. In 1983, in fact, he not only raised payroll taxes; he raised them to pay for Social Security and Medicare. Let’s put this in language today’s tea-baggers can understand: Reagan raised taxes to pay for government-run health care.

And Palin idolizes this guy?

LOL.

Reagan was able to pass his tax cuts and build the military when Dems controlled both Congress and the media.

We love Reagan for his core beliefs. He was a shrew negotiator and knew he'd have to give something in the form of higher taxes some places and more spending for them to feel good.

LOL.

Reagan was able to pass his tax cuts and build the military when Dems controlled both Congress and the media.

We love Reagan for his core beliefs. He was a shrew negotiator and knew he'd have to give something in the form of higher taxes some places and more spending for them to feel good.

Spin much?

LOL.

Spin much?

Why are facts so darn cruel to Libs?

It's interesting that libs are discovering things to like about that Reagan. I hope they'll continue their study.

you know how it is, dan. everything is relative. i blame him and lee atwater for starting the trajectory to a lot of the way politics plays out now.

Politics has always been a blood sport. Always. Atwater didn't invent it. Nor did Rove.

But speaking of finding things to like about past foes, I'm starting to find much to admire in JFK.

It's interesting that libs are discovering things to like about that Reagan. I hope they'll continue their study.

you know how it is, dan. everything is relative. i blame him and lee atwater for starting the trajectory to a lot of the way politics plays out now.

Politics has always been a blood sport. Always. Atwater didn't invent it. Nor did Rove.

But speaking of finding things to like about past foes, I'm starting to find much to admire in JFK.

the best boss i ever had used to say 'politics is a full contact team sport'.

and no, atwater and rove didn't invent it. but they perfected it.

funny re jfk. there are things to like about him. but i think that, had he lived, his mystique would have died and he wouldn't be admired as much.

nixon on the other hand -- i think had he not been paranoid and walked that road, he'd have been considered one of our greatest presidents. go figure. :lol:

the best boss i ever had used to say 'politics is a full contact team sport'.

and no, atwater and rove didn't invent it. but they perfected it.

funny re jfk. there are things to like about him. but i think that, had he lived, his mystique would have died and he wouldn't be admired as much.

nixon on the other hand -- i think had he not been paranoid and walked that road, he'd have been considered one of our greatest presidents. go figure. :lol:

Couldn't agree more.

Yes, Nixon was a case. If he'd had Rove or Atwater beside him, he may not have walked that road.

So do you think the GOP will take on the Reagan "mindset" to try to save the party?

Nixon? Remember wage and price freeze?
How Republican can you get?

Do not confuse Republican with conservative.

yeah that seems to be what republicans say since the elected Bush twice.

Bush I was probably the most conservative republican president in recent history.

Remember too that much of what we now call conservatism was based on anti-communist foreign policy. That was the reason for the shouting about Reagan. He was not praised on the right for the amnesty deal, and he could rhapsodize all he wanted about a nuclear free world - in which he sincerely believed - but that didn't lead him to kiss Gorby's butt. It led to SDI.

So do you think the GOP will take on the Reagan "mindset" to try to save the party?

I think they will try that. But even if they win at the polls they lose because their ideals are too flawed.

I am also not sure they can carry off the party of Reagan plan either. Too many skeletons in the open now.

Who knows if things continue to deteroriate in the economy/jobs they will likely win big at the polls. People in general are very gullible to ads and have a short memory.

I recall the excitement of how Brown being elected to Kennedys seat was going to straighten washington out. How has that gone so far?

He had a set of goals he tried to reach.

He was able to achieve much of what he wanted with an opposition congress with his abilty to speak directly to the people and make the congress listen.

I think a president who is able to make a deal and get what he wants, no matter what the composition of congress is pretty effective.

0bama in theory has a congress that is hugely supportive. He has a miserable time getting any of his agenda through there.

I also think Reagan's attitude was a huge deal, especially in comparison to the current guy. He was positive, fun, self effacing, effective. Versus negative, whiney, narcissistic, a flop.

LOL.

Comments on his thoughts on nuclear weapons?

Forum List

Back