The God Vacuum: America and the barbarian hordes

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
The God Vacuum

We can't – and won't – win this war without God. He knows when and where the next big terror attack is being planned against America. He knows where bin Laden is hiding. Only He can give us the unearthly wisdom and strength required to be longsuffering and merciful when restraint is called for – and to be merciless when outright, heart-stopping, shock-and-awe devastation is called for to defeat the enemy. Most of all, only genuine fidelity to God will give us the gift of true righteousness – an otherworldly quality that terrifies the wicked, inspires the decent and mysteriously delivers victory into the hands of His people.

When God withheld His protection from ancient Israel because of the disobedience and faithlessness of His people, there was only one possible solution: They had to repent of their pride and folly and come back to Him.

Do we somehow expect the Almighty to grant a different remedy to us?

To paraphrase Abraham Lincoln, "...We trust that God is on our side.
It is more important to know that we are on God's side...."

And don't be so quick to believe that you, or anyone else for that matter, knows what some entity, derived from purely metaphysical speculation, desires. Such knowledge is more a product of human desire and ego than of any divine entity.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
And don't be so quick to believe that you, or anyone else for that matter, knows what some entity, derived from purely metaphysical speculation, desires.

Excellent, bully, excellent.

Now check out my contribution. I'll expand your idea a little bit.

You'll see it's not only metaphysical speculation, but a speculation that does not take into account the most fundamental biological trait shared by all life forms.

I'm always amazed at people who says an uncreated universe is absurd, but accepts without any problem the existence of a being who is not composed of matter.

Matter is an absolute requirement for life to exist. If it is a life form it has to be made of matter.,, viruses, plants, frogs, lions, humans... you name it...

Now this individuals talk about a life form, and not only a life form, but an intelligent life form, who is not made of neither matter nor energy.

A life form that not does not have any of the other physiological imperatives required for intelligent life to exist: a nervous system, cardiovascular, respiratory etc etc

It's absolutely unbelievable to see the way they talk about this being as if it was the most natural thing in the world, as if they didn't have to explain how an intelligent being can exist without any of the most basic biological requirements of all life forms.

They discard the mechanicist/materialist explanation of the Universe as absurd just to declare their faith, 10 seconds latter, in an even greater absurdity:

An intelligent being who's not composed of matter and not even energy, an spiritual being (spirit being coded language for made of nothing).

This is an argument often neglected in discussions about the origin of the Universe and I can't understand why because it is an incredibly powerful argument.

To talk of immaterial existences is to talk of nothings. To say that the human soul, angels, god, are immaterial, is to say they are nothings, or that there is no god, no angels, no soul. I cannot reason otherwise without plunging into the fathomless abyss of dreams and phantasms.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Adams, August 15, 1820

To paraphrase Abraham Lincoln, "...We trust that God is on our side.
It is more important to know that we are on God's side...."

And don't be so quick to believe that you, or anyone else for that matter, knows what some entity, derived from purely metaphysical speculation, desires. Such knowledge is more a product of human desire and ego than of any divine entity.

What makes you think that God doesnt make His will known? Because you dont know it?

I don't have to say what God does or does not want. He says it Himself. I just know enough to listen when he speaks.

This is the new age of man, Avatar. ANd these new men of leadership don't like the limitations of conventional morality.

José;505610 said:
I'm always amazed at people who says an uncreated universe is absurd, but accepts without any problem the existence of a being who is not composed of matter.

Matter is an absolute requirement for life to exist. If it is a life form it has to be made of matter.,, viruses, plants, frogs, lions, humans... you name it...

Now this individuals talk about a life form, and not only a life form, but an intelligent life form, who is not made of neither matter nor energy.

A life form that not does not have any of the other physiological imperatives required for intelligent life to exist: a nervous system, cardiovascular, respiratory etc etc

It's absolutely unbelievable to see the way they talk about this being as if it was the most natural thing in the world, as if they didn't have to explain how an intelligent being can exist without any of the most basic biological requirements of all life forms.

They discard the mechanicist/materialist explanation of the Universe as absurd just to declare their faith, 10 seconds latter, in an even greater absurdity:

An intelligent being who's not composed of matter and not even energy, an spiritual being (spirit being coded language for made of nothing).

This is an argument often neglected in discussions about the origin of the Universe and I can't understand why because it is an incredibly powerful argument.

It would be more correct to posit that, within human experience, matter is a prerequisite for life. And since immediate human experience is limited to what life we have discovered on this world alone, one cannot posit matter as an absolute requirement for life.

You're off to a good start. Don't stop questioning.

I don't have to say what God does or does not want. He says it Himself. I just know enough to listen when he speaks.

What you are describing is a wholly internal and subjective experience. It cannot be experienced or demonstrated by, or to, anyone else. As such it is of little use in describing reality and leads us to no genuinely useful conclusions.

Forum List

Back