"The Girl in the Window"

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Three years later, "The Girl in the Window" learns to connect - St. Petersburg Times

The St. Petersburg Times shared Dani's story in August 2008, in an article called "The Girl in the Window."

Detectives had discovered her in a Plant City home in July 2005, when she was almost 7. She was curled in a tiny, roach-infested room, covered with her own feces, unable to speak or make eye contact, afraid to be held. A child protection officer had raced her to Tampa General Hospital. Dani weighed 46 pounds.

Investigators determined she had been left alone, in that dark, filthy space, for most of her life. They called Dani a "feral child," like Tarzan or the wolf boy.

Police charged Dani's mother with child neglect. A judge terminated her parental rights, sentenced her to community service and two years of house arrest.

Lord, whatever is going to happen to her. What a rough start.

Investigators determined she had been left alone, in that dark, filthy space, for most of her life. They called Dani a "feral child," like Tarzan or the wolf boy.

Police charged Dani's mother with child neglect. A judge terminated her parental rights, sentenced her to community service and two years of house arrest.

In 2007, Bernie and Diane Lierow, then of Fort Myers, saw Dani's photo in a gallery of Tampa Bay area children available for adoption. The Times story told of how the couple were drawn to her dark, vacant eyes.

The first time the Lierows met Dani, she was almost 9, wearing a diaper and drooling. She wasn't deaf or blind or autistic, didn't have cerebral palsy or muscular dystrophy. She just didn't connect, with anything or anyone. Because she had been by herself for so long, she had withdrawn to somewhere no one could reach her.

First off, the mother only got community service and two years of house arrest? WTH? :evil:

Second, God Bless the couple that adopted her and trying to help her with love and dedication. She will be in my thoughts....maybe someday she will connect to the world.

• Banned
First off, the mother only got community service and two years of house arrest? WTH? :evil:

Second, God Bless the couple that adopted her and trying to help her with love and dedication. She will be in my thoughts....maybe someday she will connect to the world.

I KNOW!! I was like are you KIDDING ME?! She all but killed the girl.

I'm starting to think serious and true; the courts should see some people in action and just spay or neuter them. Three of your kids by three baby mommas are on the dole? You're getting the big sniperooni, sunshine. We find babies in Dani's condition? Tubal. Done.

I'll tell you what's happening with Dani now. She's being exploited by her adoptive parents for cold, hard cash and tv appearances:

Dani's Story

This makes me sick. That child never had a chance, and still doesn't in my opinion. Her biological parents abused and ignored her; her adoptive parents are exploiting her. Makes me want to kick something. :mad:

I'll tell you what's happening with Dani now. She's being exploited by her adoptive parents for cold, hard cash and tv appearances:

Dani's Story

This makes me sick. That child never had a chance, and still doesn't in my opinion. Her biological parents abused and ignored her; her adoptive parents are exploiting her. Makes me want to kick something. :mad:

selling a book and TV doesn't make a case for exploitation.

• Banned
I don't see it, either. They haven't even updated the website since October 2010.

There's a lot of work and expense that goes into raising such a child. If they are able to get any help, why not? Reading Dani's story didn't lead me to send money. It led me to renew my commitment to writing my book.

All messages sent to this site will be read by the Lierows personally. It is Diane and Bernie's hope that by sharing Dani's story they can inspire others to adopt foster children like Dani. Right now there are approximately 300,000 American children in foster care who are hoping for a forever family to adopt them. They live each day with the hope of a better tomorrow. It is their courage and strength that the Lierow family wishes to recognize. As this website continues to develop, the Lierows hope to include additional helpful information and resources to assist foster and adoptive families.

Individuals and places of worship around America have expressed an interest in participating in ongoing prayer for Dani and the thousands of foster children in America who live in state care without a family of their own to love them. The Lierows hope that by sharing Dani's story they can encourage anyone who suspects a case of child abuse and neglect to report it immediately. Most of all they want to thank you for taking the time to visit Dani's website.

The Lierow family sends you their blessings.

The donate button has this message.

Dani's parents Diane and Bernie Lierow are deeply grateful to everyone who has expressed support for Dani. In response to requests from people who want to help, a fund has been established by the Lierow family to support Dani's therapy and long term care.

Last edited:
I don't see it, either. They haven't even updated the website since October 2010.

There's a lot of work and expense that goes into raising such a child. If they are able to get any help, why not? Reading Dani's story didn't lead me to send money. It led me to renew my commitment to writing my book.
All messages sent to this site will be read by the Lierows personally. It is Diane and Bernie's hope that by sharing Dani's story they can inspire others to adopt foster children like Dani. Right now there are approximately 300,000 American children in foster care who are hoping for a forever family to adopt them. They live each day with the hope of a better tomorrow. It is their courage and strength that the Lierow family wishes to recognize. As this website continues to develop, the Lierows hope to include additional helpful information and resources to assist foster and adoptive families.

Individuals and places of worship around America have expressed an interest in participating in ongoing prayer for Dani and the thousands of foster children in America who live in state care without a family of their own to love them. The Lierows hope that by sharing Dani's story they can encourage anyone who suspects a case of child abuse and neglect to report it immediately. Most of all they want to thank you for taking the time to visit Dani's website.

The Lierow family sends you their blessings.

The donate button has this message.

Dani's parents Diane and Bernie Lierow are deeply grateful to everyone who has expressed support for Dani. In response to requests from people who want to help, a fund has been established by the Lierow family to support Dani's therapy and long term care.

Go for it! You only live once.

• Banned
It led me to renew my commitment to writing my book.

I know! lol. I will. I wrote two paragraphs, and froze. I need to get past "what next" and just hit the keyboard. I heard that's what 'real' writers do when they're stuck. Just type. Somebody/something will make it's way out.

I know! lol. I will. I wrote two paragraphs, and froze. I need to get past "what next" and just hit the keyboard. I heard that's what 'real' writers do when they're stuck. Just type. Somebody/something will make it's way out.

Very true, most peole want to write the perfect story the first time, i think the best way would be to let the words flow and after many drafts will come the best story.

Can you give us a hint?

A very famous friend and colleague of mine back in the day when I was publishing novels once said, "I can fix a bad page. I can't fix a blank one."

Wise words. ;)

I still believe that publicizing this child's tragic life for profit is exploitive, the same way that Kate Goslin or Octomom publicizing their children for profit is exploitive. This child needs gentle nurturing away from the limelight, in a safe, private environment. Being the subject of this book will always haunt her with where she came from, no matter where she is in the future.

Can you give us a hint?

I don't know if you've ever heard about how when a person is being abused, they'll fixate on say a flower on the wallpaper. In my book, the girl who is being molested goes through the flower, and finds a magical place that gives her sanctuary, and hopefully the skills and knowledge to escape her abuser.

Last edited:
Can you give us a hint?

I don't know if you've ever heard about how when a person is being abused, they'll fixate on say a flower on the wallpaper. In my book, the girl who is being molested goes through the flower, and finds a magical place that gives her sanctuary, and hopefully the skills and knowledge to escape her abuser.

Titled...The Message Board

Dani's Story

i went to the link....i cant agree with you....the web site was set up due to the amount of inquires about the child...the donations....the cost of therapy is enormous ...physical and speech therapy daily?

the mother's iq was 77....how much can be expected of someone that is that low functioning?

the child will never recover emotionally from this....i dont care how much therapy or love she is given.....there is not recovery from this type of emotional neglect

New Topics

Forum List

Back