The GF Justice Policing Act: ADD mandatory hand to hand training for EMS/mental health; Then cops arent needed

Peach45

Gold Member
Feb 17, 2020
So I spoke to a cop and he was nice and honest w me. I asked how he felt on calls for mentally ill people, people in need of counseling or medical attention. He said “its not our job” but that they ALWAYS have to show up first bc EMS or mental workers have to “stage”, apparently that means wait down the street until cops make it safe.

He said the academy only gives them 2-3 weeks max of hand to hand training and a week or two shooting.

Which makes me think....why IN THE F**K are we trying to turn cops into magical psychiatrists or paramedics....which takes years of training....rather than simply make paramedics and mental workers just get the same couple weeks of self defense training cops get.

Then THEY can go first. Without the “stage”, cops dont have to “make it safe” or “scene secure”.

Trying to turn cops into brain doctors seems a LOT harder than just giving EMS and counselors the same 2-3 weeks of self defense so they can actually show up and do their jobs.

And if they say “thats not our job”.....well THEIR job isnt a cops job either so why “stage” and wait on them on medical calls?

FatUnselfishCranefly-size_restricted.gif

So I spoke to a cop and he was nice and honest w me. I asked how he felt on calls for mentally ill people, people in need of counseling or medical attention. He said “its not our job” but that they ALWAYS have to show up first bc EMS or mental workers have to “stage”, apparently that means wait down the street until cops make it safe.

He said the academy only gives them 2-3 weeks max of hand to hand training and a week or two shooting.

Which makes me think....why IN THE F**K are we trying to turn cops into magical psychiatrists or paramedics....which takes years of training....rather than simply make paramedics and mental workers just get the same couple weeks of self defense training cops get.

Then THEY can go first. Without the “stage”, cops dont have to “make it safe” or “scene secuore you are qualifiede”.

Trying to turn cops into brain doctors seems a LOT harder than just giving EMS and counselors the same 2-3 weeks of self defense so they can actually show up and do their jobs.

And if they say “thats not our job”.....well THEIR job isnt a cops job either so why “stage” and wait on them on medical calls?

I worked mental health emergency services for years. Yes, cops are not trained in mental health. You need 4 years of undergraduate, two years graduate school, and two years post-grad training before you are qualified.

However, cops need to be involved because they have the legal authority to take someone into custody involuntarily if I were to deem it medical necessary in conjunction with the judge I consult with. In other words, cops have the authority to put handcuff on an individual if legally authorized. EMT's or MSW's will never have the authority to put handcuffs on any individual and take away their civil liberties nor should they. That is strictly a Law enforcement job. Period.

I went on many calls without cops. I have never heard the term "staging" before and I have worked mental health for 30 years. It sounds like bullshit to me. Cops are needed when the person must be involuntarily detained. If I was out assessing a patient who is psychotic and a danger to self or others I would call the cops to take the person into custody if they refuse or are mentally unable to consent to voluntary treatment.

I hope this helps to understand the issues involved. There is the mental health assessment piece, and then there is making sure the patient gets the appropriate referral and care whether they consent, or in some cases, if they do not consent to care

EMS people won't want that job
And cops dont wanna be psychiatrists, counselors, medics, pest control, etc etc but everyone calls them.

Time for the rest of the “first” responders to cross train and step up

Then THEY can go first. Without the “stage”, cops dont have to “make it safe” or “scene secuore you are qualifiede”.

I worked mental health emergency services for years. Yes, cops are not trained in mental health. You need 4 years of undergraduate, two years graduate school, and two years post-grad training before you are qualified.

However, cops need to be involved because they have the legal authority to take someone into custody involuntarily if I were to deem it medical necessary in conjunction with the judge I consult with. In other words, cops have the authority to put handcuff on an individual if legally authorized. EMT's or MSW's will never have the authority to put handcuffs on any individual and take away their civil liberties nor should they. That is strictly a Law enforcement job. Period.

I went on many calls without cops. I have never heard the term "staging" before and I have worked mental health for 30 years. It sounds like bullshit to me. Cops are needed when the person must be involuntarily detained. If I was out assessing a patient who is psychotic and a danger to self or others I would call the cops to take the person into custody if they refuse or are mentally unable to consent to voluntary treatment.

I hope this helps to understand the issues involved. There is the mental health assessment piece, and then there is making sure the patient gets the appropriate referral and care whether they consent, or in some cases, if they do not consent to care

Fine. Then when its time to handcuff em, call cops. Stop making them go in first

If any medical or mental worker refuses this, by saying “not my job”, then that’s sad. You expect cops to do “not their job” all so you dont have to risk the chance of having to defend yourself. Take the 2 weeks of self defense. Then go....24/7....without asking cops to get there first. Or at all

Fine. Then when its time to handcuff em, call cops. Stop making them go in first

I went in first much more often than the cops. You have no fucking idea what you are talking about.

Must have been your state or dept. Cops here say if theres even so much as someone raising their voice on a mental or medical call, then EMS and mental health say “oh no no no....we’re “staging”, have the cops make it safe for us”

Just send social workers to all the violent calls. They'll get killed, save us some tax money, and a lot of them are leftists anyway.

By the end of it, more of the public will realize that cops have to use force, and the media will find it hard to spin things towards the BLM narrative.

Forum List

Back