Zone1 The German "Synodal Path" (RC Church) - Another Look

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
A couple threads have already been started on this German movement, but they were presented in an inscrutable way, and died quickly.

Here's the deal. The German Catholic Church, like many others, has been deeply harmed by revelations of large-scale pedophilic activities on the part of its clergy, spanning decades. On the second level, they have also been harmed by the lackluster responses of local Bishops when such accusations came to light. We've seen it here, in Canada, Ireland, Italy, and probably many other countries where the RC Church has a significant presence. The only comfort that one can take is that it apparently involved 5-7% of priests, meaning that 95% or so were and are as solid as they seem.

There is no solution what has happened in the past, and one can only watch closely to confirm that new standards and measures will eradicate this plague within the Church going forward. I believe they have done what is necessary for the future.

Germany's response to this cancer entailed the creation of a large, influential clergy-lay discussion group (for lack of a better description) called The Synodal Path (translated variously). To get to the meat of it, the SP has published letters (or whatever) recommending that the Church reconsider some long-held beliefs and positions, in the following areas:
  • Married priests,
  • Woman priests,
  • "De-criminalizing" homosexuality, sanctioning homosexual marriages, and,
  • Reconsidering abortion as a "mortal sin" (along with, I presume the Church's position on contraception).
The Pope, worried much more than he is willing to let on, has issued and caused to be issued some formal communications saying that this organization has NO power or authorization to make pronouncements on Catholic policies or matters of faith and/or morals.

One might ask, If this initiative was intended to address pedophilia in the priesthood, what does any of this have to do with pedophilia? Nothing that I can see.

I know of no organization in the U.S. that includes Bishops that would even countenance any of this, even though three of the four would probably win a popular vote, if any Catholic organization had the balls to conduct such an exercise.

Take fifteen minutes and see a gooder explanation

Is Germany going to spearhead ANOTHER "reformation"? This would be seriously ironic, considering that NOBODY in Germany actually goes to Church on Sunday, Catholic or otherwise. At least in my experience.

The Catholic Church didn't originally demand celibacy for its priests. They could go back to that; it would at least alleviate the need to look the other way at all the faggots who infiltrated their priesthood if they had a much wider pool of applicants. Some of the nuns are also more than competent enough as well. In fact celibacy wasn't imposed until the 12th century, which is over half its existence, if they beleive their claim of being the original Church.

The Catholic Church didn't originally demand celibacy for its priests. They could go back to that; it would at least alleviate the need to look the other way at all the faggots who infiltrated their priesthood if they had a much wider pool of applicants. Some of the nuns are also more than competent enough as well. In fact celibacy wasn't imposed until the 12th century, which is over half its existence, if they beleive their claim of being the original Church.
many people left the Catholic Church as a result of Vatican II, including clergy. It had nothing to do with celibacy, to speak of. Some even left because the Church had become too lax in practices and some teachings. Many said it became just another protestant church.

The Church is likely never going to change the priest celibacy policy, even though it (the cc) became liberal after Vatican II. But in any case, there are a couple branches to the CC, one being the SSPX and then there is the novus ordo. Then there is actually (it seems) a 3rd which I haven't had time to read up on, the Fraternity of St Peter (not sure that's the exact title).

It just stands to reason that Satan would attack the Catholic Church, the one that goes back to the time of Christ and the 12. He hates it more than all the others combined.

Saturday morning is the daily Mass; Saturday evening is the visual Mass of the Sunday liturgy.

Doesn't it have to be after 5 or 6 in the evening on Saturday to count? I used to know but it's been a while. When our Catholic friends invite us it is always on a Saturday night. We will probably get invited for the holidays again this year. I liked the Latin masses best, but many are now in English and Spanish here. Latin is a cool language.

many people left the Catholic Church as a result of Vatican II, including clergy. It had nothing to do with celibacy, to speak of.

It has a lot to do with the shortage of priests, which is what I was referring to. Celibacy is a relatively late requirement, implemented in the last 800 years. as compared to some 1,200 years of allowing married priests.

Doesn't it have to be after 5 or 6 in the evening on Saturday to count? I used to know but it's been a while. When our Catholic friends invite us it is always on a Saturday night. We will probably get invited for the holidays again this year. I liked the Latin masses best, but many are now in English and Spanish here. Latin is a cool language.
Yes, usually 5 p.m. or later for the vigil ( ;) ) Mass. However, I notice on Christmas Eve some parishes have a four o'clock children's Mass.

It has a lot to do with the shortage of priests, which is what I was referring to. Celibacy is a relatively late requirement, implemented in the last 800 years. as compared to some 1,200 years of allowing married priests.
I know that.

But the idea that being married will solve thepedophile problem in the Church is absurd

most peds are married

I know that.

But the idea that being married will solve thepedophile problem in the Church is absurd

most peds are married

Obviously the ones who infiltrated the priest hood were not. Most homosexual pedos are not married.

Forum List

Back