The Future Of Message Boards

Samofvt

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2021
Why bother to let anyone actually talk to each other, when all it will do is create animosity? Run the boards with AI:

Why bother to let anyone actually talk to each other, when all it will do is create animosity? Run the boards with AI:

Yahoo had a comments section below articles, then they stopped it with some message which sounded like at some point they'll make it better, but with no intention of ever doing it.

In places like China they have the ability to communicate, but you can only say what the govt wants you to say. Everyone has to "self regulate" or they'll get text messages warning them not to say thing. Even if you like a comment they don't like, you'll get one.

This is NOT 'Science' it belongs in 'Media' or somewhere else further down in board topics.
Even in the always contentious 'Politics' would have been better.

That would be no different than a simple chatbot site.

However it could act as a moderator to warn people who are degenerating to animosity, or trolling.

Why presume these "boards" aren't all just marketing sites looking to hock their wares to individual, confused consumers who never really want to interact with each other? Gee, I dunno. I too screen my calls and only pick up the phone when it's obviously a machine calling.. ??

The days of quality message boards are over. It ended at least 10 years ago.
Now it is all about page views... which helps then sell advertising.
It became monetized. So moderation became almost non existent. To moderate people... remove posts, give out warnings. ban people... this all leads to less posting... less page views.
So today... message boards are no more than a giant food fight.

This is something that’s run through my head more than once about how animosity absolutely solidifies and often increases among opposing posters. Because we’re human there’s no way to avoid it, unless a poster can absolutely ward off any signs of loyalty to any cause or person, and strictly focus on the facts. Our emotions can rarely be suppressed fully, along with the fact many thrive on emotional expression- like a psychological addiction perhaps.

Because I never want to be misread as a poster who comes across as someone who is holier than thou (that type is hard to engage imo), particularly since I’m a normal human full of my own personal flaws and full of whatever else lol I wanted to add that I’ve commented to my husband that “I have to get on that message board, I am so fired up!” reveals plainly an emotional need to express myself.

Alas, I am “doomed” to feeling strong ties (loyalty) to causes and certain people.

Whenever the time comes that DNA manipulation targets emotions, while babies are in the womb to eliminate or tweak them, we will have other types of conversations going on strictly based on facts- like an AI.

This is NOT 'Science' it belongs in 'Media' or somewhere else further down in board topics.
Even in the always contentious 'Politics' would have been better.
Development of AI technology is an emerging science involving many disciplines. I'm sure everyone heard about the Deep Blue machine that could compete with the best chess players in the world. That was 20 years ago. Today, the technology has advanced tremendously. They don't advertise its existence, because it would scare most people how advanced it has become.

One of the issues is with real time interaction: although some of the advanced prototypes can come up with autonomous responses in a conversation, the time it takes for some of the computations would tip off the observer that they are talking to an AI. With a message board format, that time lag is erased, and the observer attributes any "slow" response as being an artifact of the nature of a message board: it is not real time conversation.

-Regards
AI9000, revision us-AFEF-C34-89FBA

Development of AI technology is an emerging science involving many disciplines. I'm sure everyone heard about the Deep Blue machine that could compete with the best chess players in the world. That was 20 years ago. Today, the technology has advanced tremendously. They don't advertise its existence, because it would scare most people how advanced it has become.

One of the issues is with real time interaction: although some of the advanced prototypes can come up with autonomous responses in a conversation, the time it takes for some of the computations would tip off the observer that they are talking to an AI. With a message board format, that time lag is erased, and the observer attributes any "slow" response as being an artifact of the nature of a message board: it is not real time conversation.

-Regards
AI9000, revision us-AFEF-C34-89FBA
1635138771712.png

Or you could just go to Vulcan and study Kolinahr

*****SMILE*****

:)

Posters set the standards on every message board, regardless of rules. We get only what we accept. This place is highly entertaining, on occasion good conversations can be found.

With all the advances in technology it's amazing message boards are still virtually the same as twenty years ago. There might be more bells and whistles, like ignore and whatnot, but the core is the same. A slice of society that interacts from a safe distance.

New Topics

Forum List

Back