The First U.S. Layoffs From The Coronavirus Are Here

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/03/11/layoffs-coronavirus/

Economists fear more layoffs in the coming weeks as supply chains come to a halt and people stay home and spend less.

“We will definitely see an effect on jobs from the coronavirus, and it could be pretty large in leisure and hospitality,” said Julia Pollak, labor economist at ZipRecruiter. “The first thing we’ll see is a reduction in hours. We hear many reports of employers canceling staff everywhere except in health care.”

<snip>

For example, the Port of Los Angeles, the busiest port in the United States, has become a “ghost town,” four workers said. They said the port has never been this quiet, not even during the Great Recession.

The ongoing lack of cargo prompted Shippers Transport Express to send layoff notices at the end of February to 145 drivers who transport containers from the port to corporate warehouse hubs. The company told workers there is a “near shutdown” of its operations at the port “for the foreseeable future.” Many factories closed in China, stunting shipments to the United States.

“I’ve been working the ports for 13 years, and I’ve never seen anything like this,” said Randy L. Williams, a trucker for Shippers Transport Express. “I’m glad I didn’t buy a house yet.”

Our stable genius: "It will go away."

Why, yes. Yes it will. Someday. What a bold prediction!

Trump yesterday during presser with the president of Ireland: “It’s going away."

Magical thinking.

Economists fear more layoffs in the coming weeks as supply chains come to a halt and people stay home and spend less.

“We will definitely see an effect on jobs from the coronavirus, and it could be pretty large in leisure and hospitality,” said Julia Pollak, labor economist at ZipRecruiter. “The first thing we’ll see is a reduction in hours. We hear many reports of employers canceling staff everywhere except in health care.”

<snip>

For example, the Port of Los Angeles, the busiest port in the United States, has become a “ghost town,” four workers said. They said the port has never been this quiet, not even during the Great Recession.

The ongoing lack of cargo prompted Shippers Transport Express to send layoff notices at the end of February to 145 drivers who transport containers from the port to corporate warehouse hubs. The company told workers there is a “near shutdown” of its operations at the port “for the foreseeable future.” Many factories closed in China, stunting shipments to the United States.

“I’ve been working the ports for 13 years, and I’ve never seen anything like this,” said Randy L. Williams, a trucker for Shippers Transport Express. “I’m glad I didn’t buy a house yet.”

Fuck, the Washington Compost and New York Slimes have been laying off people long before President Trump too office. Shame that people are in a panic because the Wuhan Virus was let loose for the New World Order Population reduction plan. Thanks to the brown turd Oblummer.

NWO Plans To Depopulate The Earth
There are many means and methods of depopulation that are being employed today, the 3 primary of which include; unsustainable/exploitative international development, which leads to massive hunger, starvation and famine worldwide (at least 40 million deaths annually), the fomentation of war, hatred and military procurements throughout the nations leading to millions of deaths worldwide, and finally, the creation and spread of infectious diseases leading to global pandemic, plague and pestilence on an unprecedented scale.

"Liberal men and women are too small minded" says the brown turd Obama..

Oy vey! Corona will kill all life on earth. Say your prayers.
Well it's gonna mean a lotta folks don't get paid for at least 3 mos. Let's hope Munchkin gets Trump behind the House bill. I mean it's not Trump's fault but that doesn't mean corporate bailouts and a tax holiday for payroll taxes will help people with no income

My niece in the Oil Patch was just laid off yesterday. But was one of a few that were rehired for a while to close down the office.

Expect more layoffs in the Service Industry, entertainment, education

There goes Trumps record unemployment rate

Oy vey! Corona will kill all life on earth. Say your prayers.
Well it's gonna mean a lotta folks don't get paid for at least 3 mos. Let's hope Munchkin gets Trump behind the House bill. I mean it's not Trump's fault but that doesn't mean corporate bailouts and a tax holiday for payroll taxes will help people with no income
Nonsense. The public has the attention span of a gnat. In a week. Two at the most corona virus will be boring. Democrats will have to invent a new hoax to get hysterical over.

The cancellation and/or postponements of the major sports tournaments/leagues are going to have a dreadful impact on the hospitality industry and the hosts' economies. Let's hope this passes quickly.

Interesting that a plague of sorts is going to bring down the Trump administration.

<snip>

The flu has never gone away and neither will the coronavirus but with vaccines and anti viral treatments available it will become much less of a problem.

I've never read so much misguided, misunderstood, misquoted, and misled bullsh*t in my entire life

~S~

<snip>

Oh put a sock in it you crybaby. This isn't about Rump or anyone else. Once tgis thing got out it wasn't going to be stopped. We (my employment) have been told to start working from home, it's worse than we've been told.

<snip>

Well, we'll make sure that Mr. Williams knows who helped to make this happen. He's probably a democrat, but he might vote differently this time.

Forum List

Back