The Final Word on Mitt Romney's Tax Plan

hazlnut

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago

Mitt Romney's campaign says I'm full of it. I said Romney's tax plan is mathematically impossible: he can't simultaneously keep his pledges to cut tax rates 20 percent and repeal the estate tax and alternative minimum tax; broaden the tax base enough to avoid growing the deficit; and not raise taxes on the middle class. They say they have six independent studies -- six! -- that "have confirmed the soundness of the Governor’s tax plan," and so I should stop whining. Let's take a tour of those studies and see how they measure up.

The Romney campaign sent over a list of the studies, but they are perhaps more accurately described as "analyses," since four of them are blog posts or op-eds. I'm not hating -- I blog for a living -- but I don't generally describe my posts as "studies."

None of the analyses do what Romney's campaign says: show that his tax plan is sound. I'm going to walk through them individually, but first I want to make a broad point.

The Tax Policy Center paper that sparked this discussion found that Romney's plan couldn't work because his tax rate cuts would provide $86 billion more in tax relief to people making over $200,000 than Romney could recoup by eliminating tax expenditures for that group. That means his plan is necessarily a tax cut for the rich, so if Romney keeps his promise not to grow the deficit, he'll have to raise taxes on the middle class.

Various analyses have adjusted TPC's assumptions in an effort to bring down that $86 billion deficit. But getting from $86 billion down to $0 is not enough to make Romney's proposal work. For Romney's math to add up, he actually needs a substantial surplus of a high-income base broadening above the cost of his high-income rate cuts.

Far-righties won't read this or understand it, but we can always hope...

Come into the fold, dopes.

Mitt Romney's campaign says I'm full of it. I said Romney's tax plan is mathematically impossible: he can't simultaneously keep his pledges to cut tax rates 20 percent and repeal the estate tax and alternative minimum tax; broaden the tax base enough to avoid growing the deficit; and not raise taxes on the middle class. They say they have six independent studies -- six! -- that "have confirmed the soundness of the Governor’s tax plan," and so I should stop whining. Let's take a tour of those studies and see how they measure up.

The Romney campaign sent over a list of the studies, but they are perhaps more accurately described as "analyses," since four of them are blog posts or op-eds. I'm not hating -- I blog for a living -- but I don't generally describe my posts as "studies."

None of the analyses do what Romney's campaign says: show that his tax plan is sound. I'm going to walk through them individually, but first I want to make a broad point.

The Tax Policy Center paper that sparked this discussion found that Romney's plan couldn't work because his tax rate cuts would provide $86 billion more in tax relief to people making over $200,000 than Romney could recoup by eliminating tax expenditures for that group. That means his plan is necessarily a tax cut for the rich, so if Romney keeps his promise not to grow the deficit, he'll have to raise taxes on the middle class.

Various analyses have adjusted TPC's assumptions in an effort to bring down that $86 billion deficit. But getting from $86 billion down to $0 is not enough to make Romney's proposal work. For Romney's math to add up, he actually needs a substantial surplus of a high-income base broadening above the cost of his high-income rate cuts.

And what has obamas actual actions done except make things worse?

And man up when you explain that w/o blaming Bush.

Princeton economist Dr. Rosen examined the plan and determined that it would work quite well. Then democrats used that report to make the claim that Dr. Rosen examined the plan and said it would never work. When Dr. Rosen went public to say he made no such claim, the Romney plan would work quite well, democrats called him a liar.

And what has obamas actual actions done except make things worse?

And man up when you explain that w/o blaming Bush.

What I find funny is that Hazelnutz is pretending that he read and understood it. :lol:

Would you believe a Far right guy who claimed to have "the last word" on a Liberal Idea?

I doubt it.

I understood it. In their econometric modeling to come to that conclusion, The Tax Policy Center assumed the tax cuts wouldn't affect economic growth. That's silly. And wrong. One analysis assumed that the Romney tax cuts would pay for 60% of the cost. That would mean they'd have to close loopholes by 40-50% of the total amount. They haven't said which loopholes, but given that the tax code has become a mountain of Swiss cheese, it won't be too difficult.

Forum List

Back