The Fighting Arts

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
I have noticed that a number of posters have mentioned study of various 'martial arts' if you will. I thought it might be interesting to see what compilation of experiences we have here in this area.

I have noticed that a number of posters have mentioned study of various 'martial arts' if you will. I thought it might be interesting to see what compilation of experiences we have here in this area.
I have studied the art of 9mm and .45 for upclose and personal contact. At range, i found that the .223 and .308 work so much better than throwing stars....

I have studied the art of 9mm and .45 for upclose and personal contact. At range, i found that the .223 and .308 work so much better than throwing stars....
Sounds mighty effective. What do you do when unarmed?

What I also find interesting is how the study of -whatever- has informed real-world situations where things have gotten hairy. I've found that principles and general structures apply in many circumstances, but not set sequences like waza and such.

What I also find interesting is how the study of -whatever- has informed real-world situations where things have gotten hairy. I've found that principles and general structures apply in many circumstances, but not set sequences like waza and such.
I first got into martial arts because I was having problems with muscle pulls in my legs playing hockey. My coach sent me to Larry Kelly to learn how to better stretch my hamstrings and groin muscles. I was fascinated by the sparring I saw happening in the dojo and started taking lessons.

De Todos Partes or From Everywhere. Don't bother to strain your Google fingers searching. Not everything under the sun can be found online. It's an amalgamation of several well know martial arts and hybrids thereof streamlined for one or two strike killing, cooked up for decades by U.S. Army hand-to-hand combat instructors. I also studied Kenpo back in the 80's and 90's under Gary Ronemus, although the experience was less than glorious, as a couple of his black belt instructors were total dickheads who sometimes beat students as lessons. And, I grew up out the street from a Cambodian man who had been some kind of Tai Chi guru back in the 70's. I hung out with him as a kid and tried to learn whatever he wanted to teach us neighborhood brats. Last but not least, Uncle Sam has provided me with healthy knowledge of biomechanical cutting or de-animation of human limbs with sharp edged weapons.

I started only 9 yrs ago at the age of 35 !!
Insane
My entire life I wanted to train but was afraid and I was consumed by tennis

Well in 2011 I stated 5 yrs of Krav Maga then later in 2011 I started 4 yrs of Muay Thai
I felt happy but I knew most fights it’s grappling

In 2018 I stated No/gi BJJ but not a lot..very hard !!
Last December I finally was able to find a mma wrestling class and that is my favorite
I learned body locks and double and single legs

I have learned striking ,take downs , submissions and weapon defense but all at a low level
I am 45 and 6–1 and 155

I am only doing my beginner MMA now because the coach does much wrestling
I also do kickboxing

I plan to add on no-gi BJJ
I am still only a white belt lol

I stated with Krav Maga because it’s a superb starter System but it was only the beginning
I am near 45 but most guys think I am 30 lol

I started only 9 yrs ago at the age of 35 !!
Insane
My entire life I wanted to train but was afraid and I was consumed by tennis

Well in 2011 I stated 5 yrs of Krav Maga then later in 2011 I started 4 yrs of Muay Thai
I felt happy but I knew most fights it’s grappling

In 2018 I stated No/gi BJJ but not a lot..very hard !!
Last December I finally was able to find a mma wrestling class and that is my favorite
I learned body locks and double and single legs

I have learned striking ,take downs , submissions and weapon defense but all at a low level
I am 45 and 6–1 and 155

Still no match for my Mexican karate.

Forum List

Back