The end of the Honda Gold Wing?

New emission standards in not only Europe but also in Japan has led the big 4 Japanese motorcycle manufacturers to cut 20 models from their lineups. At least some Gold Wing models have been included but it is not currently known if all Gold Wings will be affected.

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/06/j...-models-to-comply-with-emissions-regulations/

No idea if they will or they won't discontinue the GW. By the way, how old is that video?

No idea if they will or they won't discontinue the GW. By the way, how old is that video?

This info I'm posting literally just came out.......... You tell me how old the video is. Does it predate today? They wouldn't be the first company to cancel a product after having advertised it potential release.
Whether they keep manufacturing at least one version of the GW for the American market is yet to be seen and will be based on demand.

Last edited:
This info I'm posting literally just came out.......... You tell me how old the video is. Does it predate today? They wouldn't be the first company to cancel a product after having advertised it potential release.
Whether they keep manufacturing at least one version of the GW for the American market is yet to be seen and will be based on demand.
I suspect they will continue to manufacture a Gold Wing even if it is a totally different bike. There is too much time and money invested in that name recognition to just discontinue it.

I suspect they will continue to manufacture a Gold Wing even if it is a totally different bike. There is too much time and money invested in that name recognition to just discontinue it.
Your guess is as good as mine but we all have to take into account the changing demographics of motorcycle owners. That market has been rapidly changing with most manufacturers moving away from large cruisers and touring bikes to meet the demand of younger riders. As a matter of fact the GW isn't even in Honda's top 10 most purchased models.
Take Yamaha for example, the only V Star they currently make is the 250, their FJR1300 touring bike is to be discontinued and other than the Bolt (Bobber) almost all their current bikes are sport bikes. They also state that Yamaha will be all electric by 2035.

Last edited:
The Climate Change Cult is destroying good paying jobs.
The Gold Wing was great.
It was smooth and comfortable.
It was so quiet that that you could not hear it running.

Right. They will move to a different engine.

Your guess is as good as mine but we all have to take into account the changing demographics of motorcycle owners. That market has been rapidly changing with most manufacturers moving away from large cruisers and touring bikes to meet the demand of younger riders.
Take Yamaha for example, the only V Star they currently make is the 250, their FJR1300 touring bike is to be discontinued and other than the Bolt (Bobber) almost all their current bikes are sport bikes. They also state that Yamaha will be all electric by 2035.

You could be partially right, but there will always be old guys like me who will want a cruiser to fit their wide ass. A dirt bike is just too much work.

You could be partially right, but there will always be old guys like me who will want a cruiser to fit their wide ass. A dirt bike is just too much work.
Well this old guy would need a lift to get on and off a GW let alone all touring bikes. The problem is we cruiser/tourer fans are getting fewer with each passing year........ The way current motorcycle manufacturing is going it entirely possible the only ones left who will make our favorite bikes will be HD and Polaris (Indian).

Well this old guy would need a lift to get on and off a GW let alone all touring bikes. The problem is we cruiser/tourer fans are getting fewer with each passing year........ The way current motorcycle manufacturing is going it entirely possible the only ones left who will make our favorite bikes will be HD and Polaris (Indian).
Doesn't matter. I keep my bike in great condition even though I don't ride it as much as I used to. It will last longer than I will.

Ok. Just asked.
The big bikes are more profitable but demand has shifted to smaller bikes.

Ok. Just asked.
The big bikes are more profitable but demand has shifted to smaller bikes.
True but did you know Honda's number one selling "bike" worldwide is the Super Cub scooter? Personally I'm sure that for at least the near future Honda will continue to manufacture the GW in limited numbers for the markets that are still open to it. If and when the technology becomes available to make the GW all electric or even hybrid they will manufacture it as long as the demand is still there. But I don't think it will look like it does today, I think it would need some radical new design to make it work.

Doesn't matter. I keep my bike in great condition even though I don't ride it as much as I used to. It will last longer than I will.
When I finally decide to get a new "bike" it will probably look like this:

Old Biker on Walker.jpg

:)

True but did you know Honda's number one selling "bike" worldwide is the Super Cub scooter? Personally I'm sure that for at least the near future Honda will continue to manufacture the GW in limited numbers for the markets that are still open to it. If and when the technology becomes available to make the GW all electric or even hybrid they will manufacture it as long as the demand is still there. But I don't think it will look like it does today, I think it would need some radical new design to make it work.
The scooters market exploded. I see Groms all the time. Groups of 4 and 5 riders. If you watch Asian news the Super Cubs are everywhere. As for large electric bikes? The weight increases but the power will make up for it. Especially suited for XXX Large riders.

The scooters market exploded. I see Groms all the time. Groups of 4 and 5 riders. If you watch Asian news the Super Cubs are everywhere. As for large electric bikes? The weight increases but the power will make up for it. Especially suited for XXX Large riders.
One of our members on a V Star forum used to have a Yamaha Zero but sold it and has for years been riding a V Star 650 as a commuter bike. He's stated quite frequently that while he loves his V Star he really loved his Zero so he's buying one of the latest models that came out this year.

They're even making a "touring" model.

The sales of large motorcycles are trending downward and have for a few years.

The sales of 3 wheeled vehicles are trending upward.

This is especially true among younger riders. These riders are not going to get older and go out and purchase large touring bikes.

The type of person who wants a large touring bike for comfort and safety is finding they can have more of both in a 3-wheeled vehicle.

And the growing number of motorcycle fatalities will surely influence this. While the rate may be down, the number of motorcycles on the road has increased so quickly, that absolute numbers have risen.

So more and more people every day know someone who died on their motorcycle.

Forum List

Back